Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Undersink water filter

• 18-08-2013 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭

Not really sure where to post this but I thought this was the best place :)

Has anyone heard of Gulp - they are offering undersink water filters at a great price, a friend has just has her's installed and I am thinking of doing the same.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of them? They claim their filters remove flouride/chlorine & bacteria which is what I want. I guess the only way is to get the water from the filter tested once it's in place.

Any views/thoughts welcome!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

LavaLamp wrote: »
    Not really sure where to post this but I thought this was the best place :)

Has anyone heard of Gulp - they are offering undersink water filters at a great price, a friend has just has her's installed and I am thinking of doing the same.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of them? They claim their filters remove flouride/chlorine & bacteria which is what I want. I guess the only way is to get the water from the filter tested once it's in place.

Any views/thoughts welcome!
    Thanks

Fools and their money are easily parted. Tell your friend they got ripped and thank your lucky stars you have not been as foolish .

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

dor843088 wrote: »
    Fools and their money are easily parted. Tell your friend they got ripped and thank your lucky stars you have not been as foolish .

Don't take this the wrong way but you seem very sure of yourself. Can you back this up with any facts/experience/knowledge of the product?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BWSMG

To remove fluoride you need a reverse osmosis system which are usually quite expensive but worth every penny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

mine is from simplywater.ie had it for years and they are one of the original water filter companies in ireland so lots of experience

Ronaldinho wrote: »
    Don't take this the wrong way but you seem very sure of yourself. Can you back this up with any facts/experience/knowledge of the product?

Google water filter scam . Its common sense I would have thought. Are you going to start disinfecting your apple before you eat it aswell ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Google water filter scam . Its common sense I would have thought. Are you going to start disinfecting your apple before you eat it aswell ?

You put a lot of trust into google searching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Nom nom fluoride

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I could also google the benefits of water filters.

Google results are like statistics, they can be used to prove anything.

I tqke it none of you will be paying your water charges for this disgusting filth that comes out of your tap . Or never drink a drop of water that hasnt been gulp filtered in a restaurant ot cafe etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I tqke it none of you will be paying your water charges for this disgusting filth that comes out of your tap . Or never drink a drop of water that hasnt been gulp filtered in a restaurant ot cafe etc.

Just because people prefer filtered water it doesn't mean they'll completely ignore the regular tap water. You have a serious all or nothing attitude going by some of your previous posts here.

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Just because people prefer filtered water it doesn't mean they'll completely ignore the regular tap water. You have a serious all or nothing attitude going by some of your previous posts here.

Im allowed to have the opinion that filtering perfectly drinkable water to make it even more drinkable is a scam . And if your going to the trouble of paying to have all these nasties removed from the water in your home and then go and drink them when your out well then that truly is a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Im allowed to have the opinion that filtering perfectly drinkable water to make it even more drinkable is a scam . And if your going to the trouble of paying to have all these nasties removed from the water in your home and then go and drink them when your out well then that truly is a waste of money.

You're allowed to have whatever opinion you want. Just stop trying to force it on other people who have different opinions and then insulting them when they say they don't agree with you.

Blacktie. wrote: »
    You're allowed to have whatever opinion you want. Just stop trying to force it on other people who have different opinions and then insulting them when they say they don't agree with you.

I didnt insult anyone .

A lot of water supplies are contaminated. Lived in Galway for a bit and on two occasions we couldn't drink the water for several months because of cryptosporidium. Personally I would like to have a fluoride free water source as we the republic of Ireland are the only part of Europe which still adds Fluoride to all it's drinking water.

Fluoride is only beneficial to your teeth when it is in direct physical contact with them, once you swallow the water/tea/coffee/etc the fluoride enters the bloodstream and offers zero benefit to teeth.

Furthermore there have been zero studies to access the impact(if any) that Fluoride plays in the function of the Pineal gland. In Luke 2001 it was shown for the first time that Fluoride builds up in the Pineal Gland. This Gland is situated outside the Blood Brain Barrier and so Fluoride is allowed enter.

Since then there has never been any studies to test if this build up impacts the function. Maybe it does maybe it doesn't but I think it's very odd that they wouldn't investigate as the brain is kinda important.

In conclusion **** you fluoride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

my water just tastes better than the sh1t tap water so thats good enough for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Few years ago a flatmate was drinking a glass of tap water and noticed something swimming in it - looked like a miniature shrimp - bit bigger than a grain if sugar.

I called the council (DCC) and was told that there probably was something in the water as there were road-works locally, "and sure, don't worry it's probably harmless".

We kept it as a pet for over a week :eek:

If my filter only keeps live bodies out, that suits me just fine. Ours is from simplywater.ie aswell, replacement filters are easy to get online.

juke wrote: »

We kept it as a pet for over a week :eek:

Where is it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

JJayoo wrote: »
    Where is it now?

:pac:

We kept it initially as the council were supposed to come out and collect it for analysis, but they never arrived. After about a week, it stopped swimming....we just didn't know what to feed it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

Thanks everyone! Still not really any the wiser as to whether their filters really do get rid of flouride (which is my main concern tbh). Will look into a reverse osmosis filter though - sure it has to work out cheaper than getting through dozens of litres of bottled water every week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Thanks everyone! Still not really any the wiser as to whether their filters really do get rid of fluoride (which is my main concern tbh). Will look into a reverse osmosis filter though - sure it has to work out cheaper than getting through dozens of litres of bottled water every week!

Here's a little home chemistry which will remove fluroide completely from water. If we can get something to bond to the fluoride in the water then we can precipitate it out of the water and then it won't be absorbed. Calcium fluoride is undigestable and just gets excreted from the body.

So to convert the fluoride we need to add Calcium acetate which can be made from apple cider vinegar and eggshells, just grind up some egg shells and cover with apple cider vinegar leave for a couple of days then strain/filter out the undissolved shell, you can use normal vinegar but apple cider tastes nicer. Then adding about 5ml to 1 litre of water and mixing will remove all the fluoride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Here's a little home chemistry which will remove fluroide completely from water. If we can get something to bond to the fluoride in the water then we can precipitate it out of the water and then it won't be absorbed. Calcium fluoride is undigestable and just gets excreted from the body.

So to convert the fluoride we need to add Calcium acetate which can be made from apple cider vinegar and eggshells, just grind up some egg shells and cover with apple cider vinegar leave for a couple of days then strain/filter out the undissolved shell, you can use normal vinegar but apple cider tastes nicer. Then adding about 5ml to 1 litre of water and mixing will remove all the fluoride

Wanna cook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Will look into a reverse osmosis filter though - sure it has to work out cheaper than getting through dozens of litres of bottled water every week!

Could cost more when water charges come in.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_osmosis#Disadvantages
    Disadvantages[edit source | editbeta]

Household reverse osmosis units use a lot of water because they have low back pressure. As a result, they recover only 5 to 15 percent of the water entering the system. The remainder is discharged as waste water. Because waste water carries with it the rejected contaminants, methods to recover this water are not practical for household systems. Wastewater is typically connected to the house drains and will add to the load on the household septic system. An RO unit delivering 5 gallons of treated water per day may discharge anywhere between 20 and 90 gallons of waste water per day
    Not sure if they are all like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

• Registered Users Posts: 26 TheMasterPrawn

Yea, has anyone here used this product, I was contacted about a free trial, reluctant to have anything "fitted" , seems like a good idea on paper, but site is terrible. Thoughts ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jeyjey

I use under sink water filters and completely satisfied with it

Advertisement