Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible Paternity Problem

• 18-08-2013 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Suppose the husband of a couple who recently divorced discovered that the children (now 24 and 19 young adults) may not be his. He contacts his estranged wife to have a paternity test via DNA. She refuses on several occasions. The 19 year old is still in college and has been instructed by the mother to refuse the DNA test also. Maintenance is being paid by the Father until the 19 year old child finishes college or reaches 23 years of age.

Is it possible for the Father to stop paying maintenance payments (which are part of a court order) until the mother/19 year old child agrees to provide a DNA sample without going back to the circuit court which can be very expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,450 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Suppose the husband of a couple who recently divorced discovered that the children (now 24 and 19 young adults) may not be his. He contacts his estranged wife to have a paternity test via DNA. She refuses on several occasions. The 19 year old is still in college and has been instructed by the mother to refuse the DNA test also. Maintenance is being paid by the Father until the 19 year old child finishes college or reaches 23 years of age.

Is it possible for the Father to stop paying maintenance payments (which are part of a court order) until the mother/19 year old child agrees to provide a DNA sample without going back to the circuit court which can be very expensive.

Breach of the court order would presumably end up with a period in the 'joy or similar sanction. At this stage, assuming the children display filiality to the father, why would be seek to punish them or is it just about the negative relationship with the estranged/ex wife. I have no children but if I had raised two to those ages I think I'd want to continue my relationship with them and deal with marital infidelity in a different matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Would a 19 year old not be an adult and thus you'd have to bring him/her to court not the mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Once over 18, your children are adults. Go back to Court.

On a side note, I read about a case similar to this but in Canada. The judge ordered the father continue paying, even though he was not the bio-dad

Advertisement