Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

going back to college

Options
  • 18-08-2013 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but looking for answers from parents, mostly single mothers, so thought I'd post it here. Mods, feel free to move if it's not in the right place.

I just had s baby girl n I love her to bits. Like every parent, I don't want to go back to work. I work in an office n I hate it. My dream is to go back to college to study nursing or radiography but those sort of courses require full time attendance n a lot of studying hours.

I'm basically wondering if anyone, any single moms, have gone back to college having a small child n how did you afford it/go about it? I know I should be thinking about providing for my daughter but I really don't want to work in an office environment for the rest of my life. I love science and helping people and want to combine the two. One of the major factors in my decision would be the amount of money I'd need n unfortunately don't have (I.e. €7000+ per year for fees as I've already finished a degree, childcare, travel expenses, rent etc). I know it is possible in the long run, but I'd just like to hear from other people about their experiences.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Take out that 'like every parent' for a start. No such thing. I love my job.

I can't speak from experience, but a girl in my college class did it. There are often on-site creche facilities for students and staff in some uni's. Check the university you have been accepted to for that. Students union is a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭NBO

have you thought about a shorter post grad course that might give you a professional qualification for health sector e.g. physio. UL offer some of these courses as do college of surgeons. Think they are under 2 years long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

I went back to college to do accounts. Did a one year course in fas, got free creche. Did second year in plc college got subsided creche so €25 a week. Got a full time job in may so going back in evenings from sept. going to be tough out of house 3 nights a week and i'm like yourself a single mother but with great family who mind her but they all work so can only mind the same hrs i'm free.

Best of luck in college its so worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brianwarren

Loubian, love the bit about Most Parents, it is probably better to say Most Parents with New Children, or Most Parents who love to be with their children. But this is not your question.
    IN the end to restudy, you need time and dedication. Especially if you want to do it well, and finish quickly.
    Ideally the best situation is leaving your child with their Father, or organizing different people in your family to help out.
    Not everyone has that luxury, so the next best thing would be to take a long term view. Start to look for an evening, or flexible job, which might help you study in the mornings.
    If your child is under 5 then the KinderGarder hours would fleese you. Maybe look for a friend who can help out for the time been, and when the child starts in school you can reorganize yourself.
    But as "parents" know being single, with a child, is a full time job in itself. Sure our Nordic betters have already started going the other way, making the decisions as to who of the two Parents ( in an ideal world ) return to work. So any free time you have you will be focusing on your child, which makes the studying idea more difficult.

So, if you have a expartner or family to help, the process is easier.
    If you are basically independent, then better to take the long view. It makes life easier in the end. Maybe volunteer in an Old Fokes Home, or better the Sue Ryder Foundation where the people are still Compus Mentis.

Best of luck. Most importantly it looks like you will be a great mother. Best thing you can provide for your daughter. When you are happy she will be happy.

Advertisement