Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Flights From Sydney

• 18-08-2013 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hiya,

My friend and I are thinking of flying home to Dublin from Sydney in about 3 weeks time. Anyone know the best means for doing it on the cheap lol. Had a look online and i'm getting 1500-1700 dollars per person. Had hoped for around 1200 each max to be honest. We don't mind how long it takes us if it saves us a few hundred in the end.

All tips are welcome, thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

Try www.skyscanner.net just had a quick look there - €940

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

$1200 lol

What were you basing your expectations on? I don't think I've seen return flights from Sydney to Dublin at $1200 in the last 12 months, even when the dollar was at its strongest.

To be honest if you can get them for $1500-$1700 on the one ticket, you should jump on that.

The $ dropping means airfares are only gonna get pricier in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

Batgurl wrote: »
    $1200 lol

What were you basing your expectations on? I don't think I've seen return flights from Sydney to Dublin at $1200 in the last 12 months, even when the dollar was at its strongest.

To be honest if you can get them for $1500-$1700 on the one ticket, you should jump on that.

The $ dropping means airfares are only gonna get pricier in the coming months.

Sorry I should have mentioned we will be flying ONE-WAY

Jbpc wrote: »
    Sorry I should have mentioned we will be flying ONE-WAY

Ah my apologies. That makes more sense.

Try STA travel. Tell them you're a student, they won't ask for proof. They generally have the best one way fares in the market.

That said, three weeks out and approaching NSW school holidays, airlines will be at high enough capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jbpc

Try STA travel. Tell them you're a student, they won't ask for proof. They generally have the best one way fares in the market.

That said, three weeks out and approaching NSW school holidays, airlines will be at high enough capacity.

Ok thanks for the help, i'll check that out ASAP

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

strange that flights from oz are nearly double than from Ireland, I got mine recently for 550!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Hawkeye1 wrote: »
    strange that flights from oz are nearly double than from Ireland, I got mine recently for 550!

Not really. Ireland is ****ed. Australia isn't as ****ed.

Hawkeye1 wrote: »

Wages are also double that of Ireland...suddenly not so strange :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Have you tested that yourself with STA? I am tempted to book flights home for next year with them but one of fare conditions on cheaper flights is valid ISIC card, was wondering if they ask you to scan and send?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Air India to Delhi
    Or air Asia to Kuala Lumpur.
    Sky scanner from these cheap locations home.

• Advertisement

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Have you tested that yourself with STA? I am tempted to book flights home for next year with them but one of fare conditions on cheaper flights is valid ISIC card, was wondering if they ask you to scan and send?

I've been there when two seperate friends did it. You have to go into the store though. The agent will "issue" you with an ISIC card which is STA approved. Basically a pink driving license job laminated on cardboard. They will charge you $20 for the pleasure but when you can save upwards of $400-500 on flights, its worth it.

The airlines won't check it though. Airlines don't sell student tickets. STA are loss-leading when they sell cheap flights as they hope you will book hotels, car hire, tours etc as a cross sell. Or come back for future trips. It actually generally works!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,505 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The agent will "issue" you with an ISIC card which is STA approved. Basically a pink driving license job laminated on cardboard. They will charge you $20 for the pleasure but when you can save upwards of $400-500 on flights, its worth it.

It's a proper plastic credit card sized one. Identical to the one I got in college. I got one recently when booking my xmas flights.
    All it's good for is cheap flights, but as you said for $20 it gets a few hundred off instantly.

Advertisement