Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to preserve tomatoes?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭

My 10-12 tomato plants have all produce a decent yield this year, in fact the most I've had in any single year thus far. A a result I have a lot of tomatoes.
    I'm wondering which is the bet way to preserve? Just make sauces from them and freeze them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Staph

You could make some tomato based chutney and relishes, dry them and bottle in flavoured oil or as you said make some sauces (pasta etc) and freeze.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually make oven-dried tomatoes with mine: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ovendriedtomatoes_72380
    For short-term storage you can keep some in a jar with olive oil, and you can also freeze them. They're delicious in pasta sauces, salads or on pizzas - although in our house they often get eaten straight from the jar.
    The recipe I linked has garlic in it but you don't have to add it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I just happen to have a Beginner's Guide to Preserving Food at Home open in front of me as I was freezing Mange Tout from the garden today so I'll list a few things that are in the book for tomatoes:

1. Freezing whole, unpeeled tomatoes
    Wash and core tomatoes. Set on greaseproof paper and freeze. When frozen, pack in bags.

Tip - Always defrost tomatoes packed in plastic bags in a bowl as juice will run off - use this juice in order to keep all the nutrients.

2. Freezing whole, peeled tomatoes
    Wash tomatoes. Immerse in boiling water a few at a time. Scald for 30 seconds. Remove to cold water. Lift from water, peel and core. Pack in rigid containers. Leave 1 inch headspace. Freeze.

3. Drying tomato slices
    Wash and core tomatoes and cut to 1/4 inch thick slices. Dry in a conventional oven at 120f for 18-24 hours [Im assuming you don't have a dehydrator] until crisp, turning slices and rotating trays once or twice. Cool and package in airtight containers.

Tip - for that imported Italian sun-dried tomato flavour, pour boiling water over dried tomato slices to partially rehydrate them. Drain. Pack in clean jars and cover with extra virgin olive oil. Store in a cool place and use within a few months. As long as the tomatoes are completely covered with oil, they will not mould.

One of my favourite relish recipes is this one. It is quite sweet but has gotten high approval from friends who usually do not like sweet relishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Freeze them whole. When you want to use them rinse them in warm water and squeeze, the skin will slide off leaving the tomato whole and skinless.

Advertisement