Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC EXPLORER STICKY KEYS/THREE

• 18-08-2013 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hey all, very confused about Three and their refund policy.

Bought a phone thats ended up having sticky keys on and off. They tell me they need to send it off to be checked however won't give me a replacement phone? Also,won't give a refund apparently even if fault is found? Doesn't that go against the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1988? Went off the phone to the person in the shop as they were just getting me annoyed! Basically I'm going to go directly to HTC in Crumlin. But tbh the last thing I want is another HTC phone as Google is littered with similiar stories of HTC users. Apparently the staff in Three told me that all they'll do is offer a repair or replacement. This was after telling me that their refund policy is based on faults with a phone. Nightmare!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

How long have you had the phone?

They aren't obliged to give you a replacement phone either but some shops will if you are on contract.

Also, I'm sure if you searched on Google you will find any amount of users with different makes of phones other than HTC with problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Technologic25

petes wrote: »
    How long have you had the phone?

They aren't obliged to give you a replacement phone either but some shops will if you are on contract.

Also, I'm sure if you searched on Google you will find any amount of users with different makes of phones other than HTC with problems.

I've had the phone since the beginning of August. That seems crazy to me when a product is faulty. If that happened with a washing machine you purchased somewhere surely it would be a different story. I thought it was a basic consumer right that if a products faulty you're entitled to a refund. But you're right because it seems people on other networks too have been told the same thing who have even had far more serious faults with their phones. Wonder what the Consumer Association would say about it. Surely it's not right? True re Google. Though HTC seem to be popping up for the sticky key problem. Yeah just figured it wasnt great customer service to say sorry you will have to go a week without a phone. That's impractical like. Especially when you buy a phone in the first place off them because you need one and its faulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I meant replacement phone while they are seeing if it can be repaired.

I'm not sure how long it is that you can get it replaced if it's faulty, 14 days?

I had a HTC One X last year and when I bought got it it had a small discolouring on the bottom right of the screen. I got on to the Three reps on here and they collected it via courier and left me with a replacement all within a few days.
    Was bought online though.

Also, this is a handy link:

http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods

petes wrote: »
    I meant replacement phone while they are seeing if it can be repaired.

I'm not sure how long it is that you can get it replaced if it's faulty, 14 days?

I had a HTC One X last year and when I bought got it it had a small discolouring on the bottom right of the screen. I got on to the Three reps on here and they collected it via courier and left me with a replacement all within a few days.
    Was bought online though.

Also, this is a handy link:

http://www.nca.ie/nca/faulty-goods

Cheers for the link! Yeah just sometimes a fault might not show up within 14days. If it does though and say HTC agree there's a fault, surely you should have the three options of replacement refund or repair. If its an external design or chipped paint fault fair enough for a replacement. Something internals different though. My keys are grand today, their very tempermental! If they get worse I'll head to HTC directly as advised by THREE as can't not have a phone for one week. I'll have a look at the link now. Thanks for the replies!

Cheers for the link! Yeah just sometimes a fault might not show up within 14days. If it does though and say HTC agree there's a fault, surely you should have the three options of replacement refund or repair. If its an external design or chipped paint fault fair enough for a replacement. Something internals different though. My keys are grand today, their very tempermental! If they get worse I'll head to HTC directly as advised by THREE as can't not have a phone for one week. I'll have a look at the link now. Thanks for the replies![/

If the fault is minor, for example a button is missing from a piece of clothing you bought, you have the option to request a repair, replacement, a reduction in the price you paid or a refund. However, if the trader refuses to meet your requests or there is an unreasonable delay in providing one of these remedies, then you have the right to reject the goods and rescind the contract.

Just read that on NCA site. I didn't feel a replacement was an option even from Three. Seemed to be all about the repair. Never mind a refund! Three staff member told me that if a fault was found I wasn't entitled to a refund. I even mentioned the three rs and was told no. Three need to educate their staff on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

But tbh the last thing I want is another HTC phone as Google is littered with similiar stories of HTC users.
    Though HTC seem to be popping up for the sticky key problem.
    A lot of people would say HTC make the most solid and well designed phones of all the big Android OEMs. I've never known anybody with a HTC phone to have a problem with it that couldn't be fixed very easily by themselves or that HTC didn't send out a courier and have the phone fixed and back to them within a week.

I'm baffled as to how you can have sticky keys on a HTC Explorer could you explain? Do you mean the capacitive buttons? If so what does sticky refer to? The area where you press them being sticky or they aren't responding to your touch?
    If the fault is minor, for example a button is missing from a piece of clothing you bought, you have the option to request a repair, replacement, a reduction in the price you paid or a refund. However, if the trader refuses to meet your requests or there is an unreasonable delay in providing one of these remedies, then you have the right to reject the goods and rescind the contract.

Just read that on NCA site. I didn't feel a replacement was an option even from Three. Seemed to be all about the repair. Never mind a refund! Three staff member told me that if a fault was found I wasn't entitled to a refund. I even mentioned the three rs and was told no. Three need to educate their staff on this.

As far as Three's policy it has been brought to the attention of Comreg and the NCA before. In this context the Three staff member is correct. You have the option to request a repair, replacement or a refund. Three only have to provide you with one of these and its up to them which one to choose. As far as I'm aware Three will attempt to have your phone repaired 3 times before offering you a replacement. They deem this as an acceptable policy and my understanding is that the 3 time repair attempt is echoed across most of the other networks in Ireland and satisfies Comreg and the NCA although that could have changed in recent months.

Also just to note the 14 day period is a cooling off period where by if you buy a product online you have 14 days to return it for a full refund it does not come into your situation but what does is the warranty on your phone. I'm pretty sure the warranty on any electronic good in the EU is a minimum of 2 years.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    A lot of people would say HTC make the most solid and well designed phones of all the big Android OEMs. I've never known anybody with a HTC phone to have a problem with it that couldn't be fixed very easily by themselves or that HTC didn't send out a courier and have the phone fixed and back to them within a week.

I'm baffled as to how you can have sticky keys on a HTC Explorer could you explain? Do you mean the capacitive buttons? If so what does sticky refer to? The area where you press them being sticky or they aren't responding to your touch?

As far as Three's policy it has been brought to the attention of Comreg and the NCA before. In this context the Three staff member is correct. You have the option to request a repair, replacement or a refund. Three only have to provide you with one of these and its up to them which one to choose. As far as I'm aware Three will attempt to have your phone repaired 3 times before offering you a replacement. They deem this as an acceptable policy and my understanding is that the 3 time repair attempt is echoed across most of the other networks in Ireland and satisfies Comreg and the NCA although that could have changed in recent months.

Also just to note the 14 day period is a cooling off period where by if you buy a product online you have 14 days to return it for a full refund it does not come into your situation but what does is the warranty on your phone. I'm pretty sure the warranty on any electronic good in the EU is a minimum of 2 years.[/quote

Thanks, that's interesting information! I thought the consumer had a right to choose which r they wanted since the fault lies with not the customer? I did Business in Secondary and that was drummed into us..Three times repairwise before they'll replace it? God. Surely once is enough, especially if its for the same problem.When I hit the buttons on the keypad sometimes they don't respond to the touch. For example, I'll have to press the back key a few times before it works or if I'm typing a text the buttons will suddenly stop working.

Yeah I got the HTC phone because its a well known make. Very frustrating though never had this problem before with any phone. There's a video about a HTC Sensation with similar probs online where the person video records them trying to use the keypad with Similar frustration. Although it is more three I have an issue with for reasons listed above. I'm within warranty and have receipt etc. Going directly to HTC next week when im able. Can't go for a week without a phone not practical. Wonder why they don't offer a even cheap phone for the week it's being repaired? Fun times.

Kavrocks wrote: »

Also just to note the 14 day period is a cooling off period where by if you buy a product online you have 14 days to return it for a full refund it does not come into your situation but what does is the warranty on your phone. I'm pretty sure the warranty on any electronic good in the EU is a minimum of 2 years.[/quote

Thanks, that's interesting information! I thought the consumer had a right to choose which r they wanted since the fault lies with not the customer? I did Business in Secondary and that was drummed into us..Three times repairwise before they'll replace it? God. Surely once is enough, especially if its for the same problem.When I hit the buttons on the keypad sometimes they don't respond to the touch. For example, I'll have to press the back key a few times before it works or if I'm typing a text the buttons will suddenly stop working.

Yeah I got the HTC phone because its a well known make. Very frustrating though never had this problem before with any phone. There's a video about a HTC Sensation with similar probs online where the person video records them trying to use the keypad with Similar frustration. Although it is more three I have an issue with for reasons listed above. I'm within warranty and have receipt etc. Going directly to HTC next week when im able. Can't go for a week without a phone not practical. Wonder why they don't offer a even cheap phone for the week it's being repaired? Fun times.

Advertisement