Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General A&R Cool Videos Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Video games in the movies

14:40 = GTA San Andreas 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭Doge

A G25???

How overkill is that! This guy pulled out all the stops.

• Advertisement

One for o1s1n. Maybe it's just the recording, but the frame-rate seems awful on this port...I know the arcade version suffered slowdown at times, but this seems fairly bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've never played a Neo Geo CD, but I believe that the games had to have bits cut out/scaled back to reduce loading times. (and yet many of them still take half a decade to load!) - and on top of that, there's some slowdown.

Actually I've never played the Saturn port version either but I've heard that has a lot of slowdown too.

The original cart versions of Metal Slug do experience slowdown, but it's absolutely fine and not in any way game breaking.

Metal Slug 2 is a different matter! :(

Surprised AVGN isn't more familiar with it, I thought Neo Geo was huge in the states. I guess he just stuck with his NES through that era! :D

Master of the Universe

Dug out the protos again this evening and made sure they were all backed up adequately.

I may not be sharing them for now, but I thought it best to record some video anyway for posterity's sake.

Here's Skeleton Krew. Retail game release 1995, this version is from 1993.

Full version of the game here

o1s1n wrote: »

The original cart versions of Metal Slug do experience slowdown, but it's absolutely fine and not in any way game breaking.

Oisin Have you played the original cart two player?

I played MS1 two player over mame and there was serious slowdown at times. I was playing on a beefy pc (thanks Andrew!) and I thought Neo Geo stuff was well emulated.

Any experience with this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Oisin Have you played the original cart two player?

I played MS1 two player over mame and there was serious slowdown at times. I was playing on a beefy pc (thanks Andrew!) and I thought Neo Geo stuff was well emulated.

Any experience with this?

I've played it 2 player on MAME and the original hardware.
    Slowdown on the MAME version was the same as the arcade hardware. So emulated perfectly :)

There is a patched version of MAME or a patched version of the roms(not sure which, prob MAME) that fixes a lot of the NeoGeo slowdown.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I rarely ever play Metal Slug two player so can't really comment to be honest. I do think there was some extra slowdown with the added action going on screen when there's an additional player. Makes sense really :)

Somthing I used to do in mame with Metal Slug for the craic, map player 1 and player 2's controls to the same buttons.

For anyone not aware of The Gaming Historian, you really should check out his channel. Here's a brilliant multipart synopsis (well, a little more than a synopsis) on the Sonic franchise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Came across the gaming historian as I believe he's on rotation on a stream that I watch on occasion.

For anybody that's interested or wants something gaming related to watch in the background check out the following UStream channel:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/erobtv

It was originally on justin.tv but removed for some reason. Possibly copyright issues.

Myrddin wrote: »

Seriously, If was making a retro inspired game, I'd just throw money at this guy and have him do the soundtrack.

Lol at 14:10 :D

Just found the following YouTube channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/levelonerules?feature=watch

It's cheesy as hell with horrible acting but the basic premise is to compare cross platform games on SNES and Mega Drive.

Not a bad watch really if you can get over the cringe factor.

Anyone know how to turn on the displayed hi/lo gear shifter in Mame? I had in displayed on the previous build, can't for the life of me remember how though...

Anyone know how to turn on the displayed hi/lo gear shifter in Mame? I had in displayed on the previous build, can't for the life of me remember how though...

I think they handle that with an overlay in MAME.
    So enable overlays and give it a go, or just enable overlays for the games you want it on.

Steve SI wrote: »
    I think they handle that with an overlay in MAME.
    So enable overlays and give it a go, or just enable overlays for the games you want it on.

Cheers Steve...only noticed this is in the wrong thread :o I shall rectify that with a video...check out this guys channel...he seems to have some really interesting repair/tech stuff on pcbs etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Gamayun

I was just looking at Doom source ports (including the ZX Spectrum one) and came across a Vic-20 port from last year, a Vic-20!. Admittedly it's expanded to 32 KB from 5KB (What a cop out! :pac:). Good music too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

New Batman trailer, the trailer is the bees knees for any batman fan!

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/g707et/batman--arkham-knight-debut-trailer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gamayun wrote: »

Nice!
    Cool find too!
    I love seeing the impossible made possible on these old machines.
    Teeny window but it seems to shift at a playable frame rate.

Loving this though

Master of the Universe

Here's something Ciderman's been waiting for, an Irish Streets of Rage fan film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yay, bonus AVGN vid just out aswell:

AVGN Movie Update:
    http://cinemassacre.com/2014/03/21/avgn-movie-update-march-2014/

Didn't know he has a daughter!

• Advertisement

Another

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Ehhhhhh heavy breathing and eating some celery, turned it off then ! No error 47

One for o1s1n :P

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

tumblr_m9dkxeGRgx1rdu0swo1_500.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

One for o1s1n :P

Who,
    this guy?
    dmoldtradeseanp.jpg

Master of the Universe

And to think I was going to get this put on a canvas print for my living room :(

ciderman.JPG

Hey!
    I was saving that outfit to wear at this weekends Comic Con!
    No fair!
    Now to see if the shop will take the unitard back...
    I'm keeping the cape and boots....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

this dude is funny to watch, the Austrian accent is weirdly funny and his video's are well put together:

• Advertisement

Already put this in another thread. Before anybody acusses me of being shameless this video is unlisted... it's just for us.

Aherm... anyway I'm sure you're all familiar with the A&R Red Dwarf injoke by now.

Here it is from the man himself:

Jaysus lads, we've been sleeping on the Smooth McGroove videos lately!

YouTube on my mobile now sends a message to let you known whenever anyone you have subscribed to upload a new video.

No more missing Smooth!

Smooth seemed to be getting a little bored with the repetitive nature of the Kirby theme there.
    Shame on you Smooth!

Some thoroughly smutty arcade pr0n.

One just for you Cider

Jaysus, a whole month of inactivity!

The harmonies in this one work extremely well:

This is one for Dr. Bob!

A non-Vectrex video this time from the awesome Vectrex Roli!
    (*Psst*, he's on facebook under the same name if anyone fancies adding him!)

Retron 5 Review

• Advertisement
Advertisement