Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHat is ethernet?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Its not really something I ever gave much thought to. For me its always been "the wire" (whether that's cat5, cat6 or even thicknet). But it seems Im wrong.

So according to wikipedia its
    Ethernet /ˈiːθərnɛt/ is a family of computer networking technologies for local area networks.

That doesnt really clarify it though.

So is it a protocol, or a standard? Im getting conflicting opinions from google.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,452 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You're asking for trouble posting a question like that. The network bores will crawl out of the woodwork, it's like asking a question about the rules of golf or which is the best coffee grinder.

If you're connected by wire to a local area network, you'll be using Ethernet protocols, that's all you need to know believe me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

AkCtZOP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

coylemj wrote: »
    You're asking for trouble posting a question like that. The network bores will crawl out of the woodwork, it's like asking a question about the rules of golf or which is the best coffee grinder.

If you're connected by wire to a local area network, you'll be using Ethernet protocols, that's all you need to know believe me.

LOL. Post of the century. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

ethernet = a net for catching ether.... its not very effective though... the liquid ether pours through the holes in the net

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Ethernet is a communication protocol.

Here's a parallel in terms of a human language: you can express it by voice, by writing (in various forms too - physical pen and paper, fax, email, web forums, etc etc), by sign language, braille, maybe some other formats I don't know of. Whatever physical communication method you use, the actual language used is the same (e.g. English) which makes sure everyone can ultimately understand each other.

Whether you run IEEE 802.3 over 100BaseTX (Cat 5 for example), or over 100Base2 (co-ax cable) or IEEE 802.11 over RF (WiFi), ethernet is the common language transmitted over each of these physical communication mechanisms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

'Ethernet' is the correct response to the question 'would you like thith neth, or thath neth?', when offered a choice between two identical nets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

it's spacey wacey, timey wimey stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

I had an Ethernet joke, but somebody else told it at the same time. So I exponentially backed off and tried again.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

You called, darling? :pac:

But yeah, the previous posts have covered it quite well :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement