Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

solar charger

• 18-08-2013 2:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has bought a good solar charger? Going to electric picnic and was thinking of getting one for the phone. Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Powermonkey Explorer

On the Amazon link below, hover the mouse over the bottom of the small thumbnail photos on the left to see all of the attachments which come with the gadget. Connects to mains (UK/US/EU/Oz plug adapters), solar, USB and comes with 10 different phone adapters, including narrow Nokia, wide Nokia, miniUSB, microUSB and iPhone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powertraveller-Powermonkey-Explorer-Smartphones-PMEV2001/dp/B001W031KI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376850207&sr=8-1&keywords=powermonkey-explorer

Not sure about using this at a festival - "Oh look I have some expensive electronics attached to my solar charger which you can see clearly out in the sun" (sun may not be present of course....).

Better off buying a rechargeable power brick type thing - like these....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=10000mah&sprefix=10000m%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3A10000mah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,482 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The Powermoney explorer involves a battery device, its the grey fat cigar-shaped item in the Amazon photo, that holds the charge which you then use to recharge your devices.

So you can charge up the battery by day and then at night when you're back in the tent you can use it to charge up to two or three mobile phones, it holds quite a big charge.

coylemj wrote: »
    The Powermoney explorer involves a battery device, its the grey fat cigar-shaped item in the Amazon photo, that holds the charge which you then use to recharge your devices.

So you can charge up the battery by day and then at night when you're back in the tent you can use it to charge up to two or three mobile phones, it holds quite a big charge.

somebody will just steal the solar charger on it's own then...
    unless you're going to be away from grid power for a long time and absolutely need a solar charger then I'd go for the power brick...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭stenan

I think glasso is probably right. Want to spend as little as possible in case it does get rob. You wouldn't know. My tent was broken into it last year but nothing was taken for some reason. Maybe some drunk and mistaked my tent for there's. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

When i was researching this recently, one of the best reviewed seemed to be the Solio Classic 2.

Although it's not "cheap"

Advertisement