Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom going to need to go searching for a new method of screwing country folk?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, with 4G looming and a lot of people in rural ireland who have put up with an absolutely abysmal service from Eircom probably coming to the realization that their mobilie phone when tethered can provide a much faster internet connection than their Eircom landline; what eircom plan doing to make up for the huge drop in revenue as they lose this rural income?

It has been absolutely shameful the abuse and neglect heaped upon rural communities by Eircom historically in comparison to the service offered to urban dwellers. For a large swathe of the rural community the cost of Eircom broadband is a monumental rip off price of €60.

For this you get a MAX of UP TO 7MB which equates in most cases to LESS THAN 3MB if lucky and a lot worse than that even for others.

For years Eircom have considered this as fair treatment for us...... well the writing is on the wall Eircom .......I for one will watch with relish as the money you shamelessly gather on the backs of honest country communities dries up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

iPhone. wrote: »
    Just wondering, with 4G looming and a lot of people in rural ireland who have put up with an absolutely abysmal service from Eircom probably coming to the realization that their mobilie phone when tethered can provide a much faster internet connection than their Eircom landline; what eircom plan doing to make up for the huge drop in revenue as they lose this rural income?

It has been absolutely shameful the abuse and neglect heaped upon rural communities by Eircom historically in comparison to the service offered to urban dwellers. For a large swathe of the rural community the cost of Eircom broadband is a monumental rip off price of €60.

For this you get a MAX of UP TO 7MB which equates in most cases to LESS THAN 3MB if lucky and a lot worse than that even for others.

For years Eircom have considered this as fair treatment for us...... well the writing is on the wall Eircom .......I for one will watch with relish as the money you shamelessly gather on the backs of honest country communities dries up.

Hi iPhone.

I have been going through your previous cases. Although I can no longer check your line directly I checked some neighbouring lines with the eircom broadband service and spoke to the roll -out team about the Dumore exchange. They advised we hope to have some news about NGB for that exchange towards the end of the year.

I do appreciate how long you have been contacting us and the previous threads, I just wanted to update you with the information I was given. I don't have a more definitive time frame at this time I'm afraid.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

If most rural locations barely have 3G i don't think they will get 4G to be honest but lets cross our fingers Eircoms DSL is no longer rolling out so we may forget about fast internet is rural areas from Eircom the only chance we have now is the mobile networks to get 3G/4G into more areas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Hi iPhone.

I have been going through your previous cases. Although I can no longer check your line directly I checked some neighbouring lines with the eircom broadband service and spoke to the roll -out team about the Dumore exchange. They advised we hope to have some news about NGB for that exchange towards the end of the year.

I do appreciate how long you have been contacting us and the previous threads, I just wanted to update you with the information I was given. I don't have a more definitive time frame at this time I'm afraid.

Mark
    Hi Mark, what does 'hope to have some news about NGB' mean? Fed up with this cloak and daggers stuff, are you saying Eircom are planning up to 24MB for Dunmore, eFiblre for Dunmore, what exactly, not looking for exact dates/details but at least an idea of what the intentions are would be something.
    Not having a go at you either, I appreciate your response, just trying to get a less cryptic idea of what the 'prospective' plans are.

Hi iPhone.

Mark
    Hi Mark, what does 'hope to have some news about NGB' mean? Fed up with this cloak and daggers stuff, are you saying Eircom are planning up to 24MB for Dunmore, eFiblre for Dunmore, what exactly, not looking for exact dates/details but at least an idea of what the intentions are would be something.
    Not having a go at you either, I appreciate your response, just trying to get a less cryptic idea of what the 'prospective' plans are.

Hi iPhone.

I have tried to get a more specific time-frame. However until the work is being done and we have a completion date we can't state a definite date. That can be subject to change.

However as soon as an exchange is due to be NGB enabled we are sent on confirmation and customers within that exchange will receive confirmation / information of the upgrade.

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Eircom really should look at the use of DSL loop extenders / repeaters that could be installed at intermediate points along very long lines.

The price of this kind of equipment is dropping all the time and it's not exactly massively technically complicated to deploy.

Perhaps if eircom and also the Government/ComReg were serious about rural broadband they might look at some simple solutions to get service out to remote homes.

It'll cost a few hundred quid extra per line, but that cost perhaps needs to be borne somehow if we're going to have people living in rural areas.

The other alternative is really good fixed-point wireless services using microwave links to homes.

Also, you should at this stage be able to just run fibre overhead along existing routes to supply FTTC cabinets that could connect small villages / groups of homes to much faster VDSL or even ADSL2+ services rather than relying so much on long copper lines.

In fact, you could probably replace a lot of long lines entirely by just running a few fibres instead and providing voice and VDSL/ADSL from a cabinet instead of the exchange which would ultimately save a fortune in line maintenance as you'd only have to deal with a simple fibre route most of the way rather than hundreds of copper lines that are prone to leakage and oxidation and deterioration.

• Advertisement

Hi Mark, very frustrating as you don't seem to have read my post at all before replying. I said I wasn't asking for exact dates, I just want an idea of what is planned, is it 24MB Broadband, is it eFibre or what?

Hi Mark, very frustrating as you don't seem to have read my post at all before replying. I said I wasn't asking for exact dates, I just want an idea of what is planned, is it 24MB Broadband, is it eFibre or what?
    Hi iPhone.

I spoke to the efibre roll out and broadband operations team. Again there I was unable to get an indication  as to if or when the exchange or cabinet may be enabled for efibre.

There are no plans to enable the exchange for ADSl2+

Again I am not trying to start up the previous conversations / threads I just wanted to follow up and check if there was any progress.

Sorry it was not better news.

Mark

Mark, am I missing something here?

Yesterday you said............... ''I checked some neighbouring lines with the eircom broadband service and spoke to the roll -out team about the Dumore exchange. They advised we hope to have some news about NGB for that exchange towards the end of the year''....

Today you say ........''I was unable to get an indication  as to if or when the exchange or cabinet may be enabled for efibre. There are no plans to enable the exchange for ADSl2+''

On Monday our exchange is being upgraded, on Tuesday it's not??? Do you guys honestly have any plan at all or just ad lib as you go along?

Mark, am I missing something here?

Yesterday you said............... ''I checked some neighbouring lines with the eircom broadband service and spoke to the roll -out team about the Dumore exchange. They advised we hope to have some news about NGB for that exchange towards the end of the year''....

Today you say ........''I was unable to get an indication  as to if or when the exchange or cabinet may be enabled for efibre. There are no plans to enable the exchange for ADSl2+''

On Monday our exchange is being upgraded, on Tuesday it's not??? Do you guys honestly have any plan at all or just ad lib as you go along?

Hi iPhone.

I did state the exchange will be NGB enabled in terms of uncongested next generation broadband the exchange is capable of 8MB (ADSL2+) is the "up to 24MB packages that require a minimum of 12MB or above to avail of the 24MB packages, I was unable to get an indication as to if or when 24MB will be enabled at the exchange.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Can you check my local exchange again please. The Eircom checker says I can now avail of up to 24MB, previously always showed only a max of up to 7MB availabe and I have also checked on another site which shows my available speed to have doubled from what it was previously with their line checker.

Also my broadband has been out all morning, which may be another indication they are working on the exchange here?

I would appreciate if you could check and let me know if anything has changed please.

• Advertisement

Hi Mark,

Can you check my local exchange again please. The Eircom checker says I can now avail of up to 24MB, previously always showed only a max of up to 7MB availabe and I have also checked on another site which shows my available speed to have doubled from what it was previously with their line checker.

Also my broadband has been out all morning, which may be another indication they are working on the exchange here?

I would appreciate if you could check and let me know if anything has changed please.

Hi iPhone.

We have not received an news form operations regarding your exchange from my last post.  I checked the neighboring lines with broadband and could find any change of issue in the are that you are seeing with your details.

However I have asked the roll-out team to keep me posted.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

Eircoms Next Generation Broadband (NGB) isn't even Last Generation Broadband. I actually don't know how they're allowed call it that.
    In quite a few developded countries anything below 10MB/s can't even, by law, be called broadband.

Anyway all you'll get from Eircom is excuses or don't know's but at least Mark above replied which is good by Eircoms standards.
    What should have been invested in the infrastucture was robbed by asset strippers and blown on windfalls to staff and the companys a very sick puppy.
    Their latest offering is less than half the speed of the competition and if they fail in this venture the company will either have to close or be humiliatingly bought back by the state. I'd let it go wallop to be honest as there's too many lagacy issues regarding staff to be viable.

You'll still need a phone line unfortunately but would you consider satillite braodband since you're wasting your time with Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

jay93 wrote: »
    If most rural locations barely have 3G i don't think they will get 4G to be honest but lets cross our fingers Eircoms DSL is no longer rolling out so we may forget about fast internet is rural areas from Eircom the only chance we have now is the mobile networks to get 3G/4G into more areas :)
    3G ? What's that?
    (Barely 2G here)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Last year i came home to happily find constant speeds of 2.6mbps. Compared to the 0.2 we were getting. Now its been announces that we will get efibre next year. I live in west clare. Most services back here are **** the only thing good here is the water

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Being on an NGB exchange is no guarantee of anything, unfortunately.

I am lucky to be getting 3.5Mb/s from my exchange.
    I was getting 3Mb/s prior to NGB!

There are no plans at all that I have found that indicate there will be any cabs connected to this exchange, either for the few housing estates in the village or for those in outlying areas ....  and there are house 'clusters' on the outskirts that would surely benefit from a cab close by.

OK Eircom Reps, hope you can find out some info for me on the current status of my local exchange once and for all.

As mentioned in my last post the Eircom line checker which used to only offer a max option to me of 7MB Broadband is now and has been for the past few days offering me the option of signing up for 'Up To 24MB' broadband now.

My current ISP has confirmed the speeds actually available to me have increased according his line tests but he has no information as regards what has happened to change this and says this is controlled by Eircom via the local exchange. He increased my speed from the previous up to 8Mb to 12MB while I was chatting to him on the phone.

The line is steady, not dropping but while the upload speed has increased the download speed seems to be throttled somewhere between 7MB to 8MB. EDIT - Was chatting to my ISP again today and asked him to check the provisioning on my line, turns out it was still set for 8Mb, he changed it to 12MB and I can now enjoy the speed increase - gone from 7MB to 10.5MB

Can you please find out what exactly is going on, what speeds I can now actually avail of on my line and what has changed because something definitely has?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

OK Eircom Reps, hope you can find out some info for me on the current status of my local exchange once and for all.

As mentioned in my last post the Eircom line checker which used to only offer a max option to me of 7MB Broadband is now and has been for the past few days offering me the option of signing up for 'Up To 24MB' broadband now.

My current ISP has confirmed the speeds actually available to me have increased according his line tests but he has no information as regards what has happened to change this and says this is controlled by Eircom via the local exchange. He increased my speed from the previous up to 8Mb to 12MB while I was chatting to him on the phone.

The line is steady, not dropping but while the upload speed has increased the download speed seems to be throttled somewhere between 7MB to 8MB. EDIT - Was chatting to my ISP again today and asked him to check the provisioning on my line, turns out it was still set for 8Mb, he changed it to 12MB and I can now enjoy the speed increase - gone from 7MB to 10.5MB

Can you please find out what exactly is going on, what speeds I can now actually avail of on my line and what has changed because something definitely has?

Hi iphone,

Would you like to DM me your details and I'll look into this for you?

Thanks

Tracey

Hi iphone,

Thanks

Tracey
    Details sent Tracey, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

Hi iphone,

Thanks

Tracey
    Details sent Tracey, thanks.

Thanks for those details.

I'll look into this for you and come back to you when I have the information.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

eircom have invested heavily in 4G ;)

• Advertisement

eircom have invested heavily in 4G ;)
    Another option for the customers in the cities and larger towns then.

Thanks

Tracey

Any information on my local exchange yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭p2p2p

Here's a perfect example of the problem with Eircom, a week later and nothing.
    I really hope you're not trying to run a business and relying on them!

I had a similar problem with ****e broadband (speed and reliability) a week later they called to say "They assumed" the problem was fixed!
    I asked what they did, they said nothing. Guess what the speed and reliability were still ****e!

They eventually came out "to have a look" to find the connection was submerged in water for months and "no wonder I was having trouble with the connection". The connection has gone from disconnecting every few minutes to every hour or so but with Eircom that's a result.

Thanks

Tracey

Hi,

Again, I checked your exchange and neighboring customers with eircom broadband. networks. They did not state that there was an exchange wide upgrade.

I do see the basic line capability test we can run on your telephone number was showing tested on the 05/09/13. Showing a 12MB capability. However this is a basic line / broadband check.

I apologise I checked all I can from our networks team. I can not give absolute specifics your line / speeds available as we do not have access to your line or account.

Mark

Ok, took a long time to get the information but had an Eircom sales guy at the door today because as he said 'we upgraded your exchange to NGB in the last two weeks and can now offer you a better broadband/phone package'

Crazy how long it took to find that out and then only by a chance call to the door though.

EDIT - That's not the fault of the reps on here either, I appreciate that you have limited access (none, in reality it would seem) to be able to find out information about services from any given exchange other than to pass the request along a very lethargic and unhelpful chain and hope they respond with the relevant information.

Advertisement