Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New IM record- Liam Dolan

Options
  • 18-08-2013 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

Congrats to Liam Dolan, well deserved for a great athlete, competitor and all round nice guy. 8:45 in IM Copenhagen. The president of our club done good :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well done to him !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Excellent stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Great to see! Number 2 in his age group too. I'm assuming ranking 32 gives him a place at Kona?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

CLASS!! Well done LCD! Savage!

14th O/A if you remove the teams !!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

He only entered Copenhagen cause it was a challenge race. He did not want a Kona slot as he is getting married the day after Kona.

Great to see him getting the record back. a great athlete, and a great bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Top class delighted for him.
    Well deserved.

Epic bike split and following up with that run.

Fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great result- and I don't mean this the wrong way- but 68mins for the swim? Is that correct? Seems very pedestrian in an overall record. A brilliant overall time though, no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great result- and I don't mean this the wrong way- but 68mins for the swim? Is that correct? Seems very pedestrian in an overall record. A brilliant overall time though, no doubt.

I've lead LCD out in a Tango swim session, the highlight of my tri career (well for a few lengths anyway:)). It's a fantastic result, kudos to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

for Liam that's an epic swim. If he could swim properly he could be a pro.

He works so hard great to see him get a return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think that's what makes the record more spectacular. To swim so poorly (in an overall sense) and bang in a 4:32 bike and run a 3hr flat marathon puts some other pros to shame on the last 2 disciplines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

Excellent stuff. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

He did a 1:3x swim in Hawaii last year. Ok non wet suit there but he has made great improvements.
    Weather today on the run was 18c and some rain, not sure if there was wind on the bike, but course was probably bang on length wise too - Great result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fantastic result :cool: Congrats LCD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Wow thats a savage time. Fair play to him.

Going off topic but anyone know Martin Muldoons thinking.....doing wiesbaden last week then IM copenhagen 7 days later. Was he hoping to qualify for kona last week and copenhagen was plan B?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Well deserved after all those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Wow thats a savage time. Fair play to him.

Going off topic but anyone know Martin Muldoons thinking.....doing wiesbaden last week then IM copenhagen 7 days later. Was he hoping to qualify for kona last week and copenhagen was plan B?

Spoke to him at Wiesbaden, he's had a bad start to year with a couple bike crashes and that was his 2nd race.
    Copenhagen was his main Kona target but I'd say Wiesbaden was a combo of get 2nd race under belt to dust off rustiness and even a possible Kona if all went very well.

Close to Copenhagen but that may be what works for him.
    I gather he shut things off at a stage but still ran a 1:20 so not like he totally backed off.

Very well done on getting kona slot at targetted race.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

Fantastic result, well done Liam!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Thanks guys for all the messages. Was just one of those days that are very rare when everything clicks, they usually happen in training, but once in a blue moon they happen on race day. I always remember a story from the great Welsh winger Ieuan Evans how you chase every single kick & 99.9% of the time it is a waste but "faith has a habit of rewarding consistency & once in a blue moon mama from the heavens above will respond" (That day he was playing for the Lions, David Campese gave a stupid pass that was dropped & Evans just fell on the ball to win the game).
    The comments on the swim are completely fair. In fact I drafted off the same guy the whole way & kept thinking "his hips are too low, he isn't finishing his stroke & his kick his terrible". Then I thought how I had to concentrate to keep up with him! Bike course wasn't as flat & as well surfaced as I had envisaged. Few rollers but nothing major, wind was a much bigger factor. Towards the end 2 relay team bikes passed me like I was out for a Sunday spin, those guys were shifting, obviously because they had time to put on overshoes, which wind tunnel tests have showed save you 500watts...per shoe.
    If the swim & bike were a bit lacking in atmosphere run more than made up for it. MASSIVE crowds despite the rain. Run, I just kept it steady, at different stages I seemed to get pacers, who would then disappear. The big bridge was very exposed & the wind meant I literally ran with one hand on my hat at times. 3 laps done & for 4th I threw caution to the wind & went for it. With 500m to go I looked at my watch for the first time all day (I don't race with heart rate or power) & saw it was about 4:15pm & I realised a sub 9 was on the cards. I felt like a complete male chicken sprinting past some guy with literally 100ms to go, but I was there to race.
    Crossed line smiled, someone put a medal around my neck, which felt like a lead ball & I collapsed! Illiteracy is obviously rife in Denmark one volunteer kept asking me how many fingers they were holding up & another kept asking me my name & nationality "on my number mate, right in front of you" I thought. Annette showed up crying & mumbling something about a record & then I got the world's greatest thing, chocolate milk! Not Yazoo but still pretty dam good.
    Big thanks to Tunney for helping me write the weekly training plan & Jackyback for support along the way & a pre-race email that I used as my focus primer. Hawaii slot turned down, I have a prior engagement the day before which sounds a bit like school. I am going to be told what to wear, am not allowed to speak unless spoken to first & my part was described as a "fashion accessory"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭B Morrissey

Epic stuff. Well done. I haven't had a chance to read the sports pages yet, but I'm sure your national record got equal billing with 'important' sports like soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

LCD wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all the messages. Was just one of those days that are very rare when everything clicks, they usually happen in training, but once in a blue moon they happen on race day. I always remember a story from the great Welsh winger Ieuan Evans how you chase every single kick & 99.9% of the time it is a waste but "faith has a habit of rewarding consistency & once in a blue moon mama from the heavens above will respond" (That day he was playing for the Lions, David Campese gave a stupid pass that was dropped & Evans just fell on the ball to win the game).
    The comments on the swim are completely fair. In fact I drafted off the same guy the whole way & kept thinking "his hips are too low, he isn't finishing his stroke & his kick his terrible". Then I thought how I had to concentrate to keep up with him! Bike course wasn't as flat & as well surfaced as I had envisaged. Few rollers but nothing major, wind was a much bigger factor. Towards the end 2 relay team bikes passed me like I was out for a Sunday spin, those guys were shifting, obviously because they had time to put on overshoes, which wind tunnel tests have showed save you 500watts...per shoe.
    If the swim & bike were a bit lacking in atmosphere run more than made up for it. MASSIVE crowds despite the rain. Run, I just kept it steady, at different stages I seemed to get pacers, who would then disappear. The big bridge was very exposed & the wind meant I literally ran with one hand on my hat at times. 3 laps done & for 4th I threw caution to the wind & went for it. With 500m to go I looked at my watch for the first time all day (I don't race with heart rate or power) & saw it was about 4:15pm & I realised a sub 9 was on the cards. I felt like a complete male chicken sprinting past some guy with literally 100ms to go, but I was there to race.
    Crossed line smiled, someone put a medal around my neck, which felt like a lead ball & I collapsed! Illiteracy is obviously rife in Denmark one volunteer kept asking me how many fingers they were holding up & another kept asking me my name & nationality "on my number mate, right in front of you" I thought. Annette showed up crying & mumbling something about a record & then I got the world's greatest thing, chocolate milk! Not Yazoo but still pretty dam good.
    Big thanks to Tunney for helping me write the weekly training plan & Jackyback for support along the way & a pre-race email that I used as my focus primer. Hawaii slot turned down, I have a prior engagement the day before which sounds a bit like school. I am going to be told what to wear, am not allowed to speak unless spoken to first & my part was described as a "fashion accessory"

Class Liam, fair play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Congrats liam. Epic race!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

congrats liam:D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭trainerman

Brilliant result - well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Advertisement