Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2014/15 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

La Real being made look like a pub team against Real, not even HT and it's 4-0. Modric pulling the strings in midf, Bale also playing well, very nice pass to Khedira for his goal. Ronaldo with 2 (1 pen) and Khedira with the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Failing to renew Montainer's contract must surely be one of the biggest blunders at club level last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Jernal wrote: »
    Failing to renew Montainer's contract must surely be one of the biggest blunders at club level last season.

Why didn't he (or the club) renew as a matter of interest? Was surprised a bigger club didn't come in for him.

THFC wrote: »
    Why didn't he (or the club) renew as a matter of interest? Was surprised a bigger club didn't come in for him.

Club laziness, irrc. Sid Lowe wrote a hilarious piece on it. I'll see if I can dig it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Surely ronaldo is on with a decent shout for the balon dor this year?

• Advertisement

klose wrote: »
    Surely ronaldo is on with a decent shout for the balon dor this year?

Yeah, if Ribery gets it I'll laugh. If Messi doesn't get it Ronaldo is surely entitled to it. Given it to someone that isn't either of the pair is pure madness imo. M and R are like on different galaxy compared to the rest of players who are just on this planet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ronaldo >>> Messi in 2013 imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Yeah I think Ronaldo is more deserving. Messi has been quiet in a few games this year while Ronaldo has always been prominent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

THFC wrote: »

The story I heard was that Rennes offered him a lot of money and La Real couldn't/wouldn't match it. Pretty damning indictment of La Liga when a manager would rather go to Rennes than stay with a team that has just finished 4th.

Finishing 4th can be somewhat of a poisoned chalice for a side that is perhaps not quite at that level. Sampdoria would be the most glaring example - finished 4th and were then relegated the following season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

carlop wrote: »
    The story I heard was that Rennes offered him a lot of money and La Real couldn't/wouldn't match it. Pretty damning indictment of La Liga when a manager would rather go to Rennes than stay with a team that has just finished 4th.

Finishing 4th can be somewhat of a poisoned chalice for a side that is perhaps not quite at that level. Sampdoria would be the most glaring example - finished 4th and were then relegated the following season.

An indictment of La Liga? Hardly, just an indictment of Sociedad.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    An indictment of La Liga? Hardly, just an indictment of Sociedad.

While money was a factor, Montanier ultimately felt he could further his career more in Ligue 1 than in Spain. I would say that is an indictment of La Liga, where a frankly superhuman effort by Atletico Madrid is masking the fact that Barca and Real Madrid's dominance have long ago made the future of the domestic game unsustainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

carlop wrote: »
    While money was a factor, Montanier ultimately felt he could further his career more in Ligue 1 than in Spain. I would say that is an indictment of La Liga, where a frankly superhuman effort by Atletico Madrid is masking the fact that Barca and Real Madrid's dominance have long ago made the future of the domestic game unsustainable.

But what Paris SG and Monaco is doing is good for Ligue 1?

I'm sure the fact that he's French was also a factor in the move. Surely he didn't expect to win the league or come close with Sociedad? Because he certainly won't do it with Rennes.

Corholio wrote: »
    But what Paris SG and Monaco is doing is good for Ligue 1?

I'm sure the fact that he's French was also a factor in the move. Surely he didn't expect to win the league or come close with Sociedad? Because he certainly won't do it with Rennes.

I'm sure going back to France was a factor too, but the fact that finishing 3rd is pretty much the best any team in Spain can hope to achieve over the next couple of decades was a factor too.

I accept your point about PSG and Monaco, but their dominance is nowhere near as entrenched. Monaco are already facing tax problems, and while both sides have history, neither are traditionally a dominant force in the domestic game. Their success is temporary, but once the money-men behind it leave, the clubs will return to being a part of the pack.

Real Madrid and Barca do not just have a huge financial advantage, they also have a huge historical and cultural dominance. 23% of Spanish football fans support Madrid, 18% support Barcelona. In third place is Atleti with 3.7%. That is a massive difference, and combined with the enormous financial gulf between the top two and the rest, is insurmountable.

I actually think there is more of a chance of Barca and Madrid splitting away into a European Super League than there is of another Spanish side beating them to a league title. I say this as a big fan of Spanish football and Atletico Madrid.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Damn Atletico dropping points -_-

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Great chance after Atletico's draw away at Villareal for Barcelona to put a bit of distance between them and Atletico.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Damn Atletico dropping points -_-

I'm not too disappointed. I really liking seeing Villareal back and swarming. Both Madrid's have dropped points there (Barca might too. :)) . They're playing some lovely stuff at times. :)

Always sharp, always brave, the Barcelona number 1 makes 2 outstanding saves in the space of a few minutes.

The referee offering the Barca players no protection, very dangerous stuff.

And now Messi has gone off injured, not the least bit surprised with how this had been officiated so far.

Jernal wrote: »
    I'm not too disappointed. I really liking seeing Villareal back and swarming. Both Madrid's have dropped points there (Barca might too. :)) . They're playing some lovely stuff at times. :)

I would be too, but for betting reasons I'm not :) I'm a jinx to Atleti and Barca it seems. Messi subbed after 21 mins.

Woeful finish from Neymar.

Nice through ball from Song for Cesc to square it to Neymar, 1-0.

Betis look dangerous on the counter.

edit - Pedro, 2-0

There's the all important first goal for Tata Martino's men, Song's cutting pass is a peach, Fabregas with all of the awareness become of a player with 8 assists and Neymar finished.

Edit:Goal! Pedro on the counter at break-neck speed scores what could be the crucial gone to end the challenge of an awkward Betis side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Finally! Betis was getting too close for my liking for me.. *in a Gerry Armstrong voice*

Easier to score than miss, but alas... Neymar with a poor pass does that.

That defence is why Betis are bottom of the league. Jesus! It's absolutely terrible. Imagine a proper counter attacking side against that team!:eek:

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Easier to score than miss, but alas... Neymar with a poor pass does that.

You seem to be building a bit of an anti-Neymar narrative. He's been kicked around the pitch, no protection at all from the referee and still he's kept going, he's continued to look for the ball under pressure and he's scored the opening goal as a reward. Could the pass to Pedro have been better? Perhaps, though it wasn't that bad and the pitch hardly helped either Neymar or Pedro in that situation but perhaps you should be looking to balance your posts with some positive aspects of the Brazilian's play because there has been more than enough to choose from.

You seem to be building a bit of an anti-Neymar narrative. He's been kicked around the pitch, no protection at all from the referee and still he's kept going, he's continued to look for the ball under pressure and he's scored the opening goal as a reward. Could the pass to Pedro have been better? Perhaps, though it wasn't that bad and the pitch hardly helped either Neymar or Pedro in that situation but perhaps you should be looking to balance your posts with some positive aspects of the Brazilian's play because there has been more than enough to choose from.

If there was any proof you know nothing of me and my opinion of Neymar as a whole it's this comment.

I suppose I should just stick my head in his ass for now on and praise him to the high heavens instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

they may wait until Messi is 100% fit
    there management of him since last April has been terrible

Aw Rob and Gerry. I love ye. :p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Big commentary fail.

Yet another crucial interception from the quite sublime Spanish under 21 international Marc Bartra.

• Advertisement

NO CRITICISM ALLOWED.

Top quality finish there by Neymar. The poise, the composure, the power of the shot!

Superb goal!

Like clockwork, Iniesta's delicate sweep with the outside of his foot is in sync with Montoya's adventurous run forward and Fabregas is duly on hand to slot the ball into the net. 3-0 that should put an end to a stern Betis challenge.

That Betis fence hasn't even got the plans laid yet for construction. Woeful stuff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

MD1990 wrote: »
    they may wait until Messi is 100% fit
    there management of him since last April has been terrible

He went off as a result of a tackle.

• Advertisement

After 68 minutes of toil and running, tiki taka has broken out at the Estadio Benito Villamarin.

Cesc, 4-0. I can breath easy.

Just on Betis, real shame if they are relegated. Had a great time back in 05 when I saw Liverpool play them. Still have my Joaquin kit back home in Ireland! Fun team they had back then with him and Oliveria.

Oh wow, what a remarkably strange headed goal from Cesc Fabregas, Dani Alves's ballooned cross finds the head of Fabregas and the ball trickles in. Fabregas then goes off with a bit of an injury it seems and Sergi Roberto is on.

This live match tracker service is brought to you by The Qatar Foundation.

:)

Victor Valdes absolutely lightning quick off his line to save that situation, another virtuoso display from the La Masia product.

• Advertisement

Puyol needs some oiling up for his rust....

...that sounds very wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Victor Valdes absolutely lightning quick off his line to save that situation, another virtuoso display from the La Masia product.
    The most entertaining in a long line of ridiculous posts. Trolling?

WallyGUFC wrote: »

The posts are ridiculous but Valdes has been immense

Shocking attempt at saving that penalty there from Valdes. He's washed up.

These supporters don't deserve relegation. Quality atmosphere all night.

FT: Betis 1-4 Barca

Valdes is going to be kicking lumps out of Alves for that. :D

Depends on what the supporters were singing. ;)

WallyGUFC wrote: »

2 stunning saves at 0-0 proved absolutely crucial, had one of those gone in this could have developed into a very different game. His handling and command throughout we're typically impressive. The speed off his line for the incident referenced in the post quoted was simply another example of the brilliance of a goalkeeper who is criminally underrated by those who aren't of a Barcelona persuasion. Trolling? No, I absolutely believe in my gut that this is the finest goalkeeper on the planet right now.

Stupid concession of a penalty by Alves, robbing Valdes of a thoroughly deserved clean sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

2 stunning saves at 0-0 proved absolutely crucial, had one of those gone in this could have developed into a very different game. His handling and command throughout we're typically impressive. The speed off his line for the incident referenced in the post quoted was simply another example of the brilliance of a goalkeeper who is criminally underrated by those who aren't of a Barcelona persuasion. Trolling? No, I absolutely believe in my gut that this is the finest goalkeeper on the planet right now.

Stupid concession of a penalty by Alves, robbing Valdes of a thoroughly deserved clean sheet.

Ah here, I think he's better then people give him credit for but he's not even close. He's not even the best Spanish keeper.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ah here, I think he's better then people give him credit for but he's not even close. He's not even the best Spanish keeper.

I entirely disagree with your opinion but obviously it's unlikely I'll be able to change that opinion and my opinion is unshakeable.

I entirely disagree with your opinion but obviously it's unlikely I'll be able to change that opinion and my opinion is unshakeable.

Until he leaves for Monaco that is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement