Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2014/15 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Some sumptuous goals in this game no doubt. Good for football to see them playing like this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Iniesta:cool:
    JPA wrote: »
    Barca looking very good with City coming up but Rayo are so poor it's hard to judge the performance.

there's no-one stopping that fourth goal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Can't wait to see Barca beaten during the week just to shut him up!

I'm eagerly anticipating the post to tell us all about Messi breaking DiStefanos record.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

miralize wrote: »
    We're playing really well but jesus christ that is some awful shïte

Barca have played very well alright, no doubt about that. Just a shame the forced attempts of vomit inducing, hyperbole gibberish that is continually spewed continues.
    Moneymaker wrote: »
    Rayo have been utter toilet too.

Are you telling me that there isn't a 70+ goal difference and 18 or 19 places in league position difference between these two teams? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Record smasher! Messi becomes the all time leading goalscorer in Spanish football history. There's never been anybody better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Officially the most prolific in La Liga. At 26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would love to see him do this at the World Cup this year and help Argentina win it.

AIG, you never told us you got a job at AS
    AS English wrote:
    The Mona Lisa, the Sistine Chapel, Starry Night, the Girl with a Pearl Earring, Iniesta with a ball at his feet.

https://twitter.com/English_AS

They're right though.:)

dfx- wrote: »
    AIG, you never told us you got a job at AS

https://twitter.com/English_AS

They're right though.:)

Haha very poetic, very true. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Thing i'm looking forward to the most about the City game is how many people AIG can infuriate in one match thread.

:pac::pac::pac:

Record smasher! Messi becomes the all time leading goalscorer in Spanish football history. There's never been anybody better.

Thanks for letting us know

3, 2, 1...

Goal! Goal! Change the number on the back of the jersey and you'd think it was Messi but this was a wonder strike courtesy of Brazil's magician in chief. Neymar is back. Barcelona are back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

someday Barca are going to score an ordinary Goal

someday.........

A privilege they said at the end, an honour to watch the greatest team ever play in their unmatched, unique best. Iniesta, Fabregas, Valdes, Busquets, Pique, Pedro, Sanchez, Messi all at the height of their game. Man City's talking, their claims that this is a beatable Barcelona side, suddenly looks rather premature.

Apparently tear gas or something of that ilk was thrown onto the pitch by a fan in the 88th minute with Celta Vigo one up away to Villarreal. Match might be abandoned.

BgjQVOKCYAAubPF.png:large

BgjMFyBCQAA249s.png:large

Cracker from Nolito after the restart, 0-2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

A privilege they said at the end, an honour to watch the greatest team ever play in their unmatched, unique best. Iniesta, Fabregas, Valdes, Busquets, Pique, Pedro, Sanchez, Messi all at the height of their game. Man City's talking, their claims that this is a beatable Barcelona side, suddenly looks rather premature.

They beat Rayo Vallecano, with all respect to them but I'd say City would brush them aside as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Capajoma

Funny, don't think AIG posted the weekend Barca lost at home to Valencia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Im no City fan, but tbf there seems to be only one set of fans doing the talking and they aint in blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Rayo are a disorganised mess. Barca had more space than they in several seasons. Wouldn't read anything into Barca's "performance" if I were a city or Barca fan.

I would read a lot into city's performance though they bounced back superbly and pelegrini killed Jose's triplet of defensive midfielders. (Where was his plan B though it was obvious within the first twenty minutes that the same game plan wasn't going to work)

someday Barca are going to score an ordinary Goal

someday.........

I'd love to see a compilation of passes made to messi when a direct goal scoring chance was already on.

Capajoma wrote: »
    Funny, don't think AIG posted the weekend Barca lost at home to Valencia.

Same could be said for his Chelsea boys earlier in their loss to City :P

I'm pretty sure I posted something about the loss to Valencia.

However this thread and it's overriding topic this morning should not be me. Really it should never be me, it should be Barcelona.

Footballing perfection, as close to true beauty on a football pitch as we've seen since this Barcelona side in their pomp under Guardiola. No revolution, no plan B, this was Barcelona being Barcelona. Barcelona doing what they have been taught how to do since they were kids in La Masia, Barcelona playing as only they can. Barcelona in uber Barcelona mode. Triangles, wall passes, sharp one-twos, half touch passing, aggressive pressing is packs, an organised high line, mesmerising dribbling, incision from the flanks and Lionel Messi in full flight. Last night was the dress rehearsal, Tuesday night is showtime.

I'm pretty sure I posted something about the loss to Valencia.

However this thread and it's overriding topic this morning should not be me. Really it should never be me, it should be Barcelona.

Footballing perfection, as close to true beauty on a football pitch as we've seen since this Barcelona side in their pomp under Guardiola. No revolution, no plan B, this was Barcelona being Barcelona. Barcelona doing what they have been taught how to do since they were kids in La Masia, Barcelona playing as only they can. Barcelona in uber Barcelona mode. Triangles, wall passes, sharp one-twos, half touch passing, aggressive pressing is packs, an organised high line, mesmerising dribbling, incision from the flanks and Lionel Messi in full flight. Last night was the dress rehearsal, Tuesday night is showtime.

Just out of interest, how did you react after the absolute destruction at the hands of a real machine last season?

• Advertisement

Just out of interest, how did you react after the absolute destruction at the hands of a real machine last season?

Because I am a human I understand context and circumstances. If they play each other again this season you will definitely see a different game, I think you will see a different result.

Because I am a human I understand context and circumstances. If they play each other again this season you will definitely see a different game, I think you will see a different result.

Would it be possible for you to answer the question? How did you react on here during and after those matches when your beloved La Masia graduates were torn apart and shown up as nothing more than a glorified one man team?

Would it be possible for you to answer the question? How did you react on here during and after those matches when your beloved La Masia graduates were torn apart and shown up as nothing more than a glorified one man team?

Haha "a glorified one man team" such rambling nonsense does not deserve a response. I do wonder though, who is this one man? Victor Valdes, the best goalkeeper in the world this season? Perhaps it's Spain's first choice center back Gerard Pique? Or rather is it the best holding midfielder in the world Sergio Busquets? Are you talking about the greatest midfielder of his generation, Xavi Hernandez? Or the hero of the 2010 World Cup, Andres Iniesta? No, it could be that you are talking about the man whose shoulders rest the hopes of Brazil in the summer, Neymar? Or maybe, just maybe, you are talking about the greatest footballer ever? Because only the greatest footballer ever could be the main man in such a remarkable squad.

Haha "a glorified one man team" such rambling nonsense does not deserve a response. I do wonder though, who is this one man? Victor Valdes, the best goalkeeper in the world this season? Perhaps it's Spain's first choice center back Gerard Pique? Or rather is it the best holding midfielder in the world Sergio Busquets? Are you talking about the greatest midfielder of his generation, Xavi Hernandez? Or the hero of the 2010 World Cup, Andres Iniesta? No, it could be that you are talking about the man whose shoulders rest the hopes of Brazil in the summer, Neymar? Or maybe, just maybe, you are talking about the greatest footballer ever? Because only the greatest footballer ever could be the main man in such a remarkable squad.

2 replies and still no answer to my question, just pure hyperbolic nonsense. I asked you about last season when Neymar wasn't around, when Messi was injured, when Valdes was being his usual average self, when Pique was a disaster, when Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta were embarrassed.

Last season when Barcelona were torn apart by the actual best club side in the world, how did you react?

2 replies and still no answer to my question, just pure hyperbolic nonsense. I asked you about last season when Neymar wasn't around, when Messi was injured, when Valdes was being his usual average self, when Pique was a disaster, when Xavi, Busquets and Iniesta were embarrassed.

Last season when Barcelona were torn apart by the actual best club side in the world, how did you react?

As I've said, your attitude and your method of asking such a question has led me to the conclusion that you don't deserve a response.

However if, as it seemed last night, Barcelona are peaking at the right time, then there is no more serious contender for the Champions League and it arrives precisely in time for Spain's bid to retain the World Cup. If these things do come to pass, you will know my response.

• Advertisement

As I've said, your attitude and your method of asking such a question has led me to the conclusion that you don't deserve a response.

However if, as it seemed last night, Barcelona are peaking at the right time, then there is no more serious contender for the Champions League and it arrives precisely in time for Spain's bid to retain the World Cup. If these things do come to pass, you will know my response.

As expected and as already mentioned by someone else about the defeat to Valencia, nowhere to be seen when Barca suffer a defeat. I'll leave you to it though, deflecting from the question asked through more nonsensical rambling about Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think that's called denial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Funny you should say those words alright. :rolleyes:

Initially the referee was blamed, spouting some sort of conspiracy theory. Then Tito. Oddly enough Messi didn't get any blame even though he barely covered 6km and was clearly not fit to play at all. Tito's blame harsh but probably also deserved. It was clear from the first half hour that their high line defence was going to be terrible exposed and he didn't change it at all over BOTH legs. :eek:

Jernal wrote: »
    Initially the referee was blamed, spouting some sort of conspiracy theory. Then Tito. Oddly enough Messi didn't get any blame even though he barely covered 6km and was clearly not fit to play at all. Tito's blame harsh but probably also deserved. It was clear from the first half hour that their high line defence was going to be terrible exposed and he didn't change it at all over BOTH legs. :eek:

Clearly my quotes are embedded in the skull of Jernal.

I do find it interesting how some people took so much so readily from those games. Teams are able to play poorly, just like your easily proclaimed best club in the world did at home to Man City and the less said about their fear of an average Arsenal at home.

It's like how readily people were to hope/want Germany or Italy to win Euro 2012 on this forum. Any port in a storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

I pretty much drift in and out of boards lately but one thing that will never stop surprising me is how many people like to hop on and slate Barca in any shape or form over the last few seasons when any thing goes wrong. To Vince who reckons Barca are a one man team, just look at how we performed in Messi absence before Christmas. Where was the signs of this one man team? If any thing I think certain sections of culés are starting to see that without Messi there is another dimension. Maybe this could be the long looked for plan B??

Also I totally second what AIG said about Xavi, Valdez, Iniesta, Busi etc. These are players that couldn't care less about what small sections of people around the world think. What matters to them is results, and by and large Barcelona/Spain have dominated club and country for 4-6 years. With Barcelona being absolutely the most consistent club in that period despite many ups and down's within the board room (tito, pep, abi etc) if Bayern had not slaughtered a half hearted Barca team last season I reckon people would have Barca as favorites for the champs league this season, just like the last 4/5..

Stay nit picking, stay chiseling away at AIG, if there's one thing Barcelona are good at, its proving doubters wrong. Now roll on the City game. Best in Spain vs best in England. Should be a cracker! :P:D:rolleyes:

Honestly I think most peoples issue with AIG is his utter refusal to even entertain anyone else's point of view.

I'm not a Barcelona hater but the attitude of some supporters mentality that their style of football is the only way to play is extremely grating.

City v Barca is 50-50 for me. But I expect a lot of goals.

Same, I think if Barca can stay within 1 goal of City in the first leg, the win is in the bag. It should be a thrilling encounter :D

Fair enough, I can't say I am AIG's biggest admirer myself but surely it's better ignore it that having groups of people insulting him allot. I'll be honest he has tougher skin than the rest of us to stay posting the way he does.

Any way, what a weekend of La Liga so far. Atletico and Barca both responding to recent criticism and showing Real Madrid that if they want to keep pace they need to stay winning! This league will be decided by which team drops the most points out of those 3, with the head to head games looking a cracker.

Also what do people make of Reals mauling of Atletico in the cupa del rey? Was that Simeone throwing the towel at the "lesser" trophy of the three? Will they be a tougher opposition in la liga for los blancos???

Davaeo09 wrote: »
    Same, I think if Barca can stay within 1 goal of City in the first leg, the win is in the bag. It should be a thrilling encounter :D

Fair enough, I can't say I am AIG's biggest admirer myself but surely it's better ignore it that having groups of people insulting him allot. I'll be honest he has tougher skin than the rest of us to stay posting the way he does.

Any way, what a weekend of La Liga so far. Atletico and Barca both responding to recent criticism and showing Real Madrid that if they want to keep pace they need to stay winning! This league will be decided by which team drops the most points out of those 3, with the head to head games looking a cracker.

Also what to people make of Reals mauling of Atletico in the cupa del rey? Was that Simeone throwing the towel at the "lesser" trophy of the three? Will they be a tougher opposition in la liga for los blancos???

I just think Real were super motivated given the recent history between them and some of Atletis better players had poor games.

Plus Real have Ronaldo and Atleti don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

So much rubbish in this post, my word. People's problem with you is the rubbish you write and the condescending manner in which you write it. Sergio Busquets. The platform diver? Victor Valdes. Not even the best Spanish keeper this year, or in any year of his career. Xavi/Scholes is a toss up. The way you proclaim Barca to be better than everyone, more than a club, holier than thou etc. It's galling. If you even considered other great teams, other great champions, people might respect your opinion more. You must have been sickened when your favourite English club won the CL playing such "anti-Barca" football.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    So much rubbish in this post, my word. People's problem with you is the rubbish you write and the condescending manner in which you write it. Sergio Busquets. The platform diver? Victor Valdes. Not even the best Spanish keeper this year, or in any year of his career. Xavi/Scholes is a toss up. The way you proclaim Barca to be better than everyone, more than a club, holier than thou etc. It's galling. If you even considered other great teams, other great champions, people might respect your opinion more. You must have been sickened when your favourite English club won the CL playing such "anti-Barca" football.

You really need to appreciate Busquets more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dfx- wrote: »
    You really need to appreciate Busquets more.
    He just said he was a diver. Which he is.

CSF wrote: »
    He just said he was a diver. Which he is.

I'm happy for WallyGUFC to prove otherwise by describing how good he is, but I'm pretty confident from his post that he doesn't rate him.

Pep Guardiola: “Busquets is the best defensive central midfielder in the world. He's tactically very strong and will only become more important for Barcelona in the future. He can follow in the footsteps of Carles Puyol and Xavi. He's very humble and calm, but doesn't mind speaking up when he sees fit either. If I was reincarnated as a player, I'd like to be like him."

Vicente Del Bosque: "If I were a player, I would like to be like Busquets."

Xavi: “Without Busquets, Barcelona and Spain could never had achieved what we have achieved”

I agree the play acting used to be very very irritating. But I really think he stays on his feet allot more the last 2-3 years. He has grown up a bit so to speak. But the way he puts his body in between the tackle and the ball will almost always win free kicks. He must be a fricin nightmare to tackle!

Busquests is probably the most under-rated and under-appreciated player in recent times imo.

People only remember him for that infamous playacting against Inter. He let himself down badly that night.

Doesn't change he's won every major accolade in football by age 23 and is an excellent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I'm well aware that Busquets is a great player. I'm also well aware though that he is a terrible sportsman, and it is far more than just the Inter incident, that one just typified him.

CSF wrote: »
    I'm well aware that Busquets is a great player. I'm also well aware though that he is a terrible sportsman, and it is far more than just the Inter incident, that one just typified him.

He hasn't really done anything since the Inter incident. :confused: Honestly can't recall the last time in the past year or two where he was play acting. Mascherano and Alba though are awful. Alba was getting "elbowed" so often last season. He doesn't seem as bad this season though.

Terrible sports man.. He's hardly at Pepes level of kicking or stamping.

I feel sorry for those who chose to paint him and Barca with the one brush based on 1-2 occasions. As Jernal has said apart from Inter incident is he really that bad? :(

• Advertisement

Didn't realise Valencia - Sevilla was on tonight, good stuff. Should be a decent game.

Advertisement