Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2014/15 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Llagostera issued a lifetime ban for this racist fan today. Good to see some clubs may be starting to take action.

Bn_7OL-IgAAxiid.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Llagostera issued a lifetime ban for this racist fan today. Good to see some clubs may be starting to take action.

Bn_7OL-IgAAxiid.jpg:large

Not surprised it's a middle aged person.

In England, I have heard some shocking abuse coming fans sitting near me at grounds (mostly abuse on nationality grounds with some borderline racist jibes). Not from kids or scummy teenagers in tracksuits but middle aged respectably dressed men with their young kids in tow. These chaps could well pass for your local accountant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

So atleti don't get the trophy till the first game of next season apparently? That kind of sucks for players who might/will leave over the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I just noticed that this thread has shattered last seasons post count.
    Last season the La Liga Discussion thread managed 66 pages,its up to 114 pages now and counting .:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

43 pages.

Noobs and their posts per page count. :p

Turtwig wrote: »
    43 pages.

Noobs and their posts per page count. :p

Its only taken me 12 years to figure out that you can change the number of posts per page
    I wouldnt like to tell people what I do for a profession :o

So to be more precise 980 posts last season ,1706 this season :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

klose wrote: »
    So atleti don't get the trophy till the first game of next season apparently? That kind of sucks for players who might/will leave over the summer

Why on earth is that? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

Bateman wrote: »
    Why on earth is that? :confused:
    Barca don't want to give it to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

patmac wrote: »
    Barca don't want to give it to them

The Spanish Fa's President couldn't make it to the game so he couldn't present it to them.

• Advertisement

Whats Messi up to ?

Confusion over whether Lionel Messi has agreed a new contract with Barcelona is continuing, with the player suggesting on social media that he is not sure whether he is staying and amid conflicting reports in the Spanish media.

On Friday, Barca announced that the four-time Ballon D'Or winner had ended prolonged speculation over his future by agreeing a new deal.

However, there was no confirmation of that from Messi or his camp either before or after Barclona missed out on the La Liga title, which was won by Atletico Madrid after a 1-1 draw at the Camp Nou on the season's final day.

Speculation in the Madrid media suggested some final details had yet to be ironed out and that Messi's camp were unhappy with some Barca fans for whistling him after a subdued performance during that match.

On Monday, Catalan station TV3, reported by AS, and Sport both said Messi had been to the Camp Nou to sign the new deal before heading off to Argentina to begin preparations for the World Cup.

However a statement on his official account on a Chinese social media site did not mention any new agreement and appeared to suggest he could still leave if he did not receive the "affection" of the "people" at Barcelona.

"The truth is that things have not gone as we expected -- it was a tough year, both personally and in the group," the message said.

"We had the chance to achieve an objective in the final game and we did not know how to take advantage of that. I just apologise to all Barcelonismo and promise that next year we will return to be at the heights required by the club.

"About my own situation, I am happy to stay at my home [Barcelona], as I have always said. This year was not one of my best. But I am convinced that, the same as with the group, next year will be different for me personally.

"It is the people in Barcelona who have to decide what to do about my future, but my choice is to stay once I feel the same affection from them. If not, then I will look for another solution because I will always want the best for this club."

Messi's current deal, which contains a 250 million euro release clause, is due to end in June 2018. Those details are reportedly set to remain unchanged, but Spanish media reports have claimed he will receive a pay rise from 13 million euros to around 20 million euros net a season.

Talks over an improved deal began in the autumn, and there has also been speculation -- dismissed last week by Messi as "crazy stuff" -- that Barca had considered putting him up for sale and using the 250 million euro fee for a complete overhaul of the squad in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Whats Messi up to ?

Confusion over whether Lionel Messi has agreed a new contract with Barcelona is continuing, with the player suggesting on social media that he is not sure whether he is staying and amid conflicting reports in the Spanish media.

On Friday, Barca announced that the four-time Ballon D'Or winner had ended prolonged speculation over his future by agreeing a new deal.

However, there was no confirmation of that from Messi or his camp either before or after Barclona missed out on the La Liga title, which was won by Atletico Madrid after a 1-1 draw at the Camp Nou on the season's final day.

Speculation in the Madrid media suggested some final details had yet to be ironed out and that Messi's camp were unhappy with some Barca fans for whistling him after a subdued performance during that match.

On Monday, Catalan station TV3, reported by AS, and Sport both said Messi had been to the Camp Nou to sign the new deal before heading off to Argentina to begin preparations for the World Cup.

However a statement on his official account on a Chinese social media site did not mention any new agreement and appeared to suggest he could still leave if he did not receive the "affection" of the "people" at Barcelona.

"The truth is that things have not gone as we expected -- it was a tough year, both personally and in the group," the message said.

"We had the chance to achieve an objective in the final game and we did not know how to take advantage of that. I just apologise to all Barcelonismo and promise that next year we will return to be at the heights required by the club.

"About my own situation, I am happy to stay at my home [Barcelona], as I have always said. This year was not one of my best. But I am convinced that, the same as with the group, next year will be different for me personally.

"It is the people in Barcelona who have to decide what to do about my future, but my choice is to stay once I feel the same affection from them. If not, then I will look for another solution because I will always want the best for this club."

Messi's current deal, which contains a 250 million euro release clause, is due to end in June 2018. Those details are reportedly set to remain unchanged, but Spanish media reports have claimed he will receive a pay rise from 13 million euros to around 20 million euros net a season.

Talks over an improved deal began in the autumn, and there has also been speculation -- dismissed last week by Messi as "crazy stuff" -- that Barca had considered putting him up for sale and using the 250 million euro fee for a complete overhaul of the squad in the summer.

Taken from today:

BoAxe9rCIAE9DP__zps50a7e696.jpg

Blatter wrote: »
    Taken from today:

BoAxe9rCIAE9DP__zps50a7e696.jpg

Thanks ,that clears that up so .
    Those papers in Spain really have an overactive mind ,the stuff they come up with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Luis Enrique signs 2 year contract.
    Business getting done today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ter stegan signs officially too and pinto isn't getting a new contract either so they'll assumably be in for another keeper too. Deulofeu and rafinha will be in the first team next season so its probably curtains on tellos career and most certainly on cuencas and affelays too.

Would be too funny if they don't sign a cb again.

JPA wrote: »
    Luis Enrique signs 2 year contract.
    Business getting done today!

I'm a little bit surprised it's only 2 years. Doesn't really show a great deal of confidence.

• Advertisement

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bn_7OL-IgAAxiid.jpg:large

Doubly whammy for her. She worked at the Barcelona Museum. Club sacked her.

Also:
    Bn8ur7yCcAAvkr7.jpg:large

According to Sid Lowe the crowd spanning a length of about 3 km!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm a little bit surprised it's only 2 years. Doesn't really show a great deal of confidence.

It's optimistic in modern football!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Prepare for a renaissance of what Barcelona really is. Luis Enrique's appointment is more than that of the appointment of a head coach, it is a symbolic return to what has made Barcelona the most admired and emulated club on the planet. The board still isn't ideal and Zubizarreta wouldn't be every Barcelona fans cup of tea but this is a step in the right direction. A further step in the right direction is the returns of Alcantara and Delofeu, two outstanding talents, two players who can have a very positive impact next season. The signing of Ter Stegen is also good news, the club has been quick and decisive to find the replacement for Valdes. Ter Stegen may never fill the gloves of Valdes, an astronomical ask really, but he should go on to have a fine career at Barcelona.

For those questioning the length of contract that Enrique has signed, it's worth remembering that Pep worked on short term deals each season and it's fair to say that was a success.

A centre back, a striker and perhaps a right back and/or central midfielder is next on my wishlist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Prepare for a renaissance of what Barcelona really is. Luis Enrique's appointment is more than that of the appointment of a head coach, it is a symbolic return to what has made Barcelona the most admired and emulated club on the planet. The board still isn't ideal and Zubizarreta wouldn't be every Barcelona fans cup of tea but this is a step in the right direction. A further step in the right direction is the returns of Alcantara and Delofeu, two outstanding talents, two players who can have a very positive impact next season. The signing of Ter Stegen is also good news, the club has been quick and decisive to find the replacement for Valdes. Ter Stegen may never fill the gloves of Valdes, an astronomical ask really, but he should go on to have a fine career at Barcelona.

For those questioning the length of contract that Enrique has signed, it's worth remembering that Pep worked on short term deals each season and it's fair to say that was a success.

A centre back, a striker and perhaps a right back and/or central midfielder is next on my wishlist.

Beyond the trophies Barcelona's greatest achievement was making Valdes look like a world class keeper. And Pique a world class CB.

to what has made Barcelona the most admired and emulated club on the planet.

Because no singular image does it justice.

• Advertisement

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Beyond the trophies Barcelona's greatest achievement was making Valdes look like a world class keeper. And Pique a world class CB.

That's fine, and of course many who don't watch Barcelona on a regular basis will believe the same thing because they've been force-fed that belief. Ironically, what I find when I talk to people in person about this is that the same people who believe Valdes to be an average goalkeeper are the same people who seem to think that Diego Lopez is some kind of running joke and are perplexed that Casillas doesn't play every game. It's almost become an unofficial litmus test to find out who hasn't a clue about La Liga.

Meanwhile Gerard Pique is very much a world class defender. Yes he has the odd lapse and he probably wont be lauded for his concentration but in the big games, when he is really needed, Pique shows up and there is few, if any, better.

Because no singular image does it justice.

It's been a good day for Barcelona, I'm guessing you wont be joining the love-in so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Did you see his Roma team AIG? They were a very average side and he didnt do very much with them. In fact he failed to get them into Europe and he got them knocked out of Europa by Slovan Bratislava.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

kksaints wrote: »
    Did you see his Roma team AIG? They were a very average side and he didnt do very much with them. In fact he failed to get them into Europe and he got them knocked out of Europa by Slovan Bratislava.

Ah..I wouldn't use that as an indicator. He did quite well with very limited resources at Celta Vigo.

Besides, Rijkaard got Sparta Rotterdam relegated for the first time in their history before he joined Barca and he did pretty well at the Camp Nou.

kksaints wrote: »

Personally I always enjoyed watching his Roma side whenever I happened to catch them on tv. Granted the results weren't great but he was tasked with changing an entire club's culture virtually overnight. This time he is returning to a club which he knows and which knows him, he returns to a familiar structure in which he has worked previously, he returns to find a club in need of saving from outside influences, that must return to the roots of the philosophy upon which it's success has been built. Today has been a good day because today the ground work for that return has begun. Luis Enrique is a Barcelona man, Lionel Messi has renewed and in Rafinha and Delofeu you have two players of the next crop of great Barcelona players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Personally I always enjoyed watching his Roma side whenever I happened to catch them on tv. Granted the results weren't great but he was tasked with changing an entire club's culture virtually overnight. This time he is returning to a club which he knows and which knows him, he returns to a familiar structure in which he has worked previously, he returns to find a club in need of saving from outside influences, that must return to the roots of the philosophy upon which it's success has been built. Today has been a good day because today the ground work for that return has begun. Luis Enrique is a Barcelona man, Lionel Messi has renewed and in Rafinha and Delofeu you have two players of the next crop of great Barcelona players.
    Rudi Garcia has done a much better job with Roma than Enrique. Enrique has done avery good job at Celta though. Your also overhyping Rafinha & Deulofeu.Deulofeu i think will have to learn when to let off the ball.I would rate Jese a better prospect than him.

Prepare for a renaissance of what Barcelona really is.

Sid Lowe reckons Enrique is going to try and change things a decent bit and move away from the Guardiola model. Make of that what you will.

Tata tried changing things and look where that got him. :(
    He really deserves another shot in Spain or Europe.

I was critical of Valdes but I think he was a much better goalkeeper than many people gave him credit for .
    The role he played ,almost as a sweeper is a very difficult role and fraught with risk.

He was excellent for the last few years and made very few errors.

His biggest flaw was that he was prone to nerves on certain occassions and would make a clanger but overall he was an excellent keeper.
    Ironically, what I find when I talk to people in person about this is that the same people who believe Valdes to be an average goalkeeper are the same people who seem to think that Diego Lopez is some kind of running joke and are perplexed that Casillas doesn't play every game. It's almost become an unofficial litmus test to find out who hasn't a clue about La Liga.

It baffles me that Lopez isnt in the Spanish squad ,he is a vastly superior keeper to Reina .
    Capello wanted to make him his no 1 at Madrid years ago .

Lopez didn't make the Spanish Squad!:eek:

• Advertisement

Lopez didn't make the Spanish Squad!:eek:

Iker, Reina and De Gea. Valdes probably would've been in without the injury, so Lopez is likely 5th choice.

Iker, Reina and De Gea. Valdes probably would've been in without the injury, so Lopez is likely 5th choice.

Well, it's still hard to argue with that. I'd have Lopez instead of Reina but I haven't seen as much of Reina. So hard to say. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Indeed. Both coincidences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Reina is purely there because of his popularity within the camp. In a dressing room that has a fairly natural divide to it, he does wonders for morale. While he initially made national squads on merit, for at least two years now he is purely there for his personality.

I guess I would rate Lopez ahead of Reina, but I would have him behind Casillas, Valdes and De Gea. I find the current set up at Real Madrid to be a bit of a joke to be honest. To have a goalkeeper for the league and a goalkeeper for the Champions League makes no sense.

You choose who your best goalkeeper is and you play them in the important games. While I feel Spanish people have a tendency to overrate San Iker, I do think he is ahead of Diego Lopez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

In fairness the so-called "divide" in the dressing room was easily enough overcome over the last few tournaments was it not? Players from Barcelona and Madrid were actually friends with each other and would regularly be on the phone to each other, the experts tell us this was what wound JM up so much and led to him falling out with many senior RM players...

I honestly don't think you need to pick a goalkeeper for morale purposes, you should go with your best players, not to say Lopez is better than Reina (although my own non-expert opinion is that he is) but this "morale" thing may be overblown.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

That's brilliant, thanks for posting that ^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Brilliant thanks for posting that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

There is an absolutely ridiculous team ethic within that Atletico team. I really don't think they have the legs to beat Real Madrid next weekend, but with that level of team unity, you just never know. Really, really hope they pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The small and tiny club of Eibar were officially promoted to the Primera Division last night. However, due to some crazy rules, they could actually be relegated back to Segunda B. Stadium only holds just over 5k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_Eibar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

SantryRed wrote: »
    The small and tiny club of Eibar were officially promoted to the Primera Division last night. However, due to some crazy rules, they could actually be relegated back to Segunda B. Stadium only holds just over 5k.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SD_Eibar

Yup, they might be punished because they are actually solvent, it's lunacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Anybody hear about the playoff match for the Primera?

Two-legged affair. Cordoba who have been out of the Primera for 42 years and Las Palmas who are a bit of a yo-yo club. First leg in Cordoba was 0-0. Second leg was today in Las Palmas. Las Palmas took the lead early in the second half and were looking good for the win. Cordoba got on top towards the end but didn't seem to be getting close.

The Las Palmas fans were already celebrating and started running onto the pitch in injury game. Game was stopped and the ref said that if the fans do it again, the match will be abandoned. There was a bit of a standoff for five minutes or so then the game continued. Cordoba scored with the last attack and went up on away goals.

I was too busy celebrating to see what happened after that but when I did look back at the telly in the pub, the officials were being escorted down the tunnel and the Las Palmas fans were going nuts but then the whole celebrating took over again so I don't know what's happened after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Anyone know when 14-15 fixtures are out?

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Anyone know when 14-15 fixtures are out?

Its usually around the 9th/10th of July .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Not sure if it merits it's own thread, but i just read that Di Stefano has passed away.

One of the true greats of the game. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Not sure if it merits it's own thread, but i just read that Di Stefano has passed away.

One of the true greats of the game. RIP.
    Deffo merits its own thread and you should start it. Sad day in football. I hope they have a minute's silence at the semi-final tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its usually around the 9th/10th of July .

Last thing I read was "second week of July".

Season starts 23rd August.

Real Madrid close to signing Kroos and Monaco looking for 100m euro for James Rodriguez,silly season is in full swing.
    Real seem to be just buying up big names for the sake of it .
    Where are Rodriguez and Kroos supposed to fit in ?
    Are either any better than the existing options at the club ???
    Will Illarramendi and Isco be jettisoned ?

Barcelona seem to be adopting the Galactico blueprint in the last year or so ,splurging 190m euro on two strikers that they cant really accommodate and ignoring the glaring weaknesses in their defence.
    The board at the club seem to have lost the plot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think they want Khedira to move on, freeing up space for Kroos.
    They want Di Maria to move to PSG, to make room for Rodriguez.

And why wouldn't any team was Rodriguez in their team, he looks a fantastic prospect.
    I wouldn't say they are buying up big names 'for the sake of it'. They are Euro Champions, and every team has to continue to strengthen. Both these players would strengthen even Real Madrid.

So much for la Masia blueprint.

Goalkeeper,
    Alves, Mascherano,
    Rakitic,
    Suarez, Neymar

Half the team.
    Such a change from when tito played a full masia eleven.

I suppose la Masia has the centre backs they desperately need?

Wonder how strong Atletico will be now that the squad is being pillaged?

Real with kroos and Modric?
    *drools*

• Advertisement
Advertisement