Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2014/15 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think they want Khedira to move on, freeing up space for Kroos.
    They want Di Maria to move to PSG, to make room for Rodriguez.

And why wouldn't any team was Rodriguez in their team, he looks a fantastic prospect.
    I wouldn't say they are buying up big names 'for the sake of it'. They are Euro Champions, and every team has to continue to strengthen. Both these players would strengthen even Real Madrid.

I dont see how they can accomodate Kroos and Rodriguez in the same team along with Ronaldo and Bale .

Do they play Kroos in a deeper role and drop Modric or Alonso ?
    I suppose la Masia has the centre backs they desperately need?

Not from what I have read.
    Graham Hunter sums it up well
    This Barcelona board is patently one that is no better educated than the intricacies of playground football: attack a lot, try to score more than the other team and forget about defending.

Barcelona have needed replenishment in height, defensive organisation, physical fitness and pace at the back for pretty much three seasons now. They still haven't addressed that problem, and until those promises are fulfilled their club's fans will not be wholly won over by the addition of Suarez to Neymar and Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As good as Alonso was at Madrid last season, I think the WC proved he's on his last legs.

The signing of Kroos is one for the future. What it does to the future of Isco or Illarra at the club is another thing.

As good as Alonso was at Madrid last season, I think the WC proved he's on his last legs.

The signing of Kroos is one for the future. What it does to the future of Isco or Illarra at the club is another thing.

True Alonso is pushing on and looks really slow ,he was never fast but he looked like he had lead boots a few times last season.

I dont think Kroos will be a success though , he is an overrated player ,I have a feeling he will end up like Schneider at Real ,sold after a few years.

I think he will be a success.

He is not such a 'star' type player, more a talented worker/grafter. I think he'll fit in perfectly with Madrid's squad and style.

He was one of the players of WC2014 for me. He started and ended every Germany game, shows you how much belief they have in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kroos will be a superb player for Real, a superb passer of the ball, will pick up from Alonso straight away as their career arcs are crossing now I think. It'll be interesting to see how they fit Modric and Kroos in, because if they can, that's a fantastic thought. Both with wonderful football brains, which a lot of the time Real have lacked over the years.

Thing that always baffles me in football, is why Bayern would be happy to let one of their top players move on to one of their biggest Euro rivals?

I appreciate player-power is almighty but surely they could do something?

Thing that always baffles me in football, is why Bayern would be happy to let one of their top players move on to one of their biggest Euro rivals?

I appreciate player-power is almighty but surely they could do something?

Strange that they left him go to Real allright ,might have been better off selling to Utd .

According to the club Kroos wage demands were too much and the club wasn't going to change its wage structure for him .
    They did the same thing with Ballack in 2006 .

Beckanbeur had this to say in February
    You have to make a decision as a club when someone's demands are going through the roof. There is not a single player who's worth changing your entire wage structure for. Nobody's indispensable. If the player wants to stay at Bayern, I can only advise him not to overplay his hand."

However Kroos was only earning 4.5m euro a year making him Bayern’s 15th highest paid player – less than the likes of Rafinha and Daniel van Buyten and on-par with squad player Claudio Pizarro.
    Franck Ribery tops the list, earning €12m a year .
    Bizarrely, that figure is matched by summer signing Mario Gotze.

Bayern Munich legends Philippe Lahm and Bastian Schweinsteiger earn €10m a year, and are both followed by Thomas Muller, Manuel Neuer and another summer signing Thiago Alcantara on €8m a year.
    4.5m euro is pretty poor for a player of Kroos calibre.
    Worse still Pep Guardiola gets a record €17 million pre-tax annual income (nearly double that of the next-highest earner)

Alot of people say that Bayern played their best football at the latter end of the 2012-2013 season when Kroos was injured and Bayern had a better shape without him.

Guardiola prefers Thiago to Kroos ,not sure if I agree with that ,but both players are overrated in my book.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'd expect better from Hunter. Perhaps the last time Barcelona had a solid defence was De Boer or even Nadal?

Their defence has been neglected since before the Laporta years and yet the Laporta years have been incredibly successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

Fixture list out next Thursday 24th. Hey, what's the rush!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

True Alonso is pushing on and looks really slow ,he was never fast but he looked like he had lead boots a few times last season.

I dont think Kroos will be a success though , he is an overrated player ,I have a feeling he will end up like Schneider at Real ,sold after a few years.

Disagree with this.

Sniejder has always been overrated, except for one season for Inter were Mourinho managed to get his game under control and think more about a team ethos.

Kroos is the opposite and has maintained a level of high performance for a long time now.

And given the fact that it's Real, unless your name is Ronaldo or Bale, maybe Casillas and Ramos too , your future in the team is always under threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I dont see how they can accomodate Kroos and Rodriguez in the same team along with Ronaldo and Bale .

Do they play Kroos in a deeper role and drop Modric or Alonso ?

I also read something similar in the last few days- Barca look like they have caught the RM disease of going for expensive marque signings without addressing the real shortcomings in the team...Neymar last year, Suarez this year. How much in transfers again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Barca best 11

____________Bravo_____________
    Alves___Pique____Masherano__Alba
    _________Busquets_____________
    ____Xavi/Rakitic_____Iniesta______
    __________Messi_______________
    _____Suarez_______Neymar______

Real Madrid

_____________Lopez______________
    Carajval___Ramos____Varane____Coentrao
    _________Modric_____Kroos________
    Bale_______Rodriguez_______Ronaldo
    ___________Benzema____________

2 incredible teams. Kroos & Rodriguez will fit in well too imo. Will create even more chances for Ronaldo,Bale & Benzema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ter Stegen will hopefully get good game time this year.

But we need a feckin CB.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Real Madrid

_____________Lopez______________
    Carajval___Ramos____Varane____Coentrao
    _________Modric_____Kroos________
    Bale_______Rodriguez_______Ronaldo
    ___________Benzema____________

Havent you heard that the loons at Real want to sell Lopez and replace him with Keylor Navas.
    Thats Lopez's reward for having such a good season and keeping Casillas out of the team.

Also Kroos isnt really a good deep lying midfielder ,he cant defend .

Apart from that though I wouldnt want to be a centre back facing either of those two forward lines next season especially on the counter attack ,you'd be turned inside out a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Just read Casillas wont even be going on tour. Xabi Alonso, pepe & isco are... weird one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can't see Kroos, Modric, James, Bale, Benzema all playing together.

One them has to be dropped for a defensive midfielder. Think it might be Benzema.

Alonso/Illar/Kdehira, Modric,
    Kroos,
    James,
    Bale, Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Hala Madrid!

Hope he does well.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Can't see Kroos, Modric, James, Bale, Benzema all playing together.

One them has to be dropped for a defensive midfielder. Think it might be Benzema.

Alonso/Illar/Kdehira, Modric,
    Kroos,
    James,
    Bale, Ronaldo

There was no need to sign both Kroos and James ,they both essentially play in the same position.
    I dont know if James can play upfront ,he isnt an out and out striker.

I think he could play the ten role a lá Zidane. Who's even there to coach him how.:cool:

Agree, they've an embarrassment of riches right now. Kroos and James weren't both necessary. Kroos was more necessary than James imo. They probably got James because Barca got Suarez. Now, Barca will probably go get another unnecessary player and Man Utd might get Hummels for £16 million. Bizzare stuff.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Now, Barca will probably go get another unnecessary player and Man Utd might get Hummels for £16 million. Bizzare stuff.

:confused:

Its not good for football in general that Real and Barcelona seem to be trying to outdo each other with these marquee signings.
    Alot of clubs are hugely in debt and these guys are splurging ridiculous amounts of money on unproven and unnecessary players .
    Its becoming ridiculous ,its like a teenager playing fantasy football.

It's borderline ridiculous. They are the biggest global brands so I can see why having such players is important revenue wise, but it makes the game even more farcical. Especially if Barca don't get a cb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Its not good for football in general that Real and Barcelona seem to be trying to outdo each other with these marquee signings.
    Alot of clubs are hugely in debt and these guys are splurging ridiculous amounts of money on unproven and unnecessary players .
    Its becoming ridiculous ,its like a teenager playing fantasy football.

In agreement without everything except the unproven bit.

Luis Suarez, Toni Kroos and James Rodriguez are hardly unproven players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

It's borderline ridiculous. They are the biggest global brands so I can see why having such players is important revenue wise, but it makes the game even more farcical. Especially if Barca don't get a cb!

Barca have agreed a 20 million deal with Valencia for Jeremy Mathieu.

Oh wow. Pigs do fly. :eek:

Big teams need to keep things fresh and sign new players, marketing and keeping the fan base is all important in the modern football world.

Football fans are fickle, they will get bored with a steady team.

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    Barca have agreed a 20 million deal with Valencia for Jeremy Mathieu.

20m euro for a 30-year-old left-back-cum-central defender ,more nonsense by Barcelona.

20m euro for a 30-year-old left-back-cum-central defender ,more nonsense by Barcelona.

He was very good last season; plays with his heart on his sleeve, and he can play a bit of ball like Barca like.

Great deal for Valencia though for a defender his age, especially for converted CB. Hopefully this new Asian money means that there will be less of Valencia's jewels leaving for relative pittances. The loss of Bernat is a pain though.

Of course the Rodriguez transfer fee is ridiculous, as is Suarez's, as is Costa's etc etc. Although remember Monaco bought him for €45 million, so it was hardly going to be anywhere around that since he's been world cup top scorer since.

English clubs are doing it too, so its hardly just Real and Barca. The main difference is they are signing even higher marquee players than the English teams, so they're going to be a bit more.

Some might say signing Bale for €100mill was better value than Arsenal signing Ozil for €50mill.

I have to agree that the money at the top clubs now is getting ridiculous, they are handing out silly money and its a spiral which keeps itself fed. Add in astronomical wages for so many players, it makes you wonder how they clubs can continue to function as viable businesses at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

elefant wrote: »
    He was very good last season; plays with his heart on his sleeve, and he can play a bit of ball like Barca like.

Also decently tall from what I remember

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Some might say signing Bale for €100mill was better value than Arsenal signing Ozil for €50mill.

I have to agree that the money at the top clubs now is getting ridiculous, they are handing out silly money and its a spiral which keeps itself fed. Add in astronomical wages for so many players, it makes you wonder how they clubs can continue to function as viable businesses at all.

As long as fans continue to be allowed to be milked, it will be sustainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

The way southampton have been knocking players out of the park i'm surprised they didn't have a go at flogging Madrid Jay Rodriguez to chance there arm

Real Madrid seem to have abandoned their recent policy of trying to introduce Spanish players to the team and have reverted to their Galactico policy
    Alvaro Morata has been sold to Juventus, Arbeloa will be little more than a utility man this season ,Casillas could be sold too, Isco is also likely to be sold during the summer and Asier Illarramendi has failed to earn the trust of Carlo Ancelotti.
    Reminds me of the time they flogged off all the Dutch players 5 years ago,there doesnt seem to be much forward planning at the club .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Spanish media claiming Real sold 50000 JAMES shirts yesterday.

Thats a nice bit of their outlay recouped straight off.

gimmick wrote: »
    Spanish media claiming Real sold 50000 JAMES shirts yesterday.

Thats a nice bit of their outlay recouped straight off.

I wouldn't say its even made a dent in what they are paying. I don't buy this whole shirt sale hype.

50,000 shirts at say €60 each = €3million. Say Adidas and Real Madrid split the cash, I would say it would be pushing it to say the club get €30 per shirt. Thats €1.5mill.
    And after the initial rush, sales will drop off dramatically.

Even if they sell another €5million worth of shirts, he cost €85million, plus I am sure he must be getting at least €150k per week (or another €47mill in wages over his 6yr deal).

Gonna need some short sales to recoup over €130million costs.

Real Madrid seem to have abandoned their recent policy of trying to introduce Spanish players to the team and have reverted to their Galactico policy
    Alvaro Morata has been sold to Juventus, Arbeloa will be little more than a utility man this season ,Casillas could be sold too, Isco is also likely to be sold during the summer and Asier Illarramendi has failed to earn the trust of Carlo Ancelotti.
    Reminds me of the time they flogged off all the Dutch players 5 years ago,there doesnt seem to be much forward planning at the club .

In fairness Casillas was already no.2 at the club, Carvajal was superb last season so no way Arbeloa was getting his place there. Isco was in and out of the team without hugely impressing and Illarramendi was seen as Alonso's long term replacement although not sure he impressed enough to be that. I think they got a great deal for Morata to be honest, his game is more suited to other leagues.

I wouldn't say its even made a dent in what they are paying. I don't buy this whole shirt sale hype.

50,000 shirts at say €60 each = €3million. Say Adidas and Real Madrid split the cash, I would say it would be pushing it to say the club get €30 per shirt. Thats €1.5mill.
    And after the initial rush, sales will drop off dramatically.

Even if they sell another €5million worth of shirts, he cost €85million, plus I am sure he must be getting at least €150k per week (or another €47mill in wages over his 6yr deal).

Gonna need some short sales to recoup over €130million costs.

I'd say the retailer gets a nice cut too but in this case the club sold the jerseys directly at 77 euro a pop.
    Anyone know what percentage of a jersey sold in a normal shop goes to the club ,probably 35% ?

Is Morata the most over rated reserve ever? He has been linked with everyone over the last few years, but got feck all game time for Madrid. Seems whatever deal they got for him is a good one.

I think Morata had a great record for their reserve and uunderage sides, but then so have another loads of players in the past, and they never got the chance at senior level. Raul was the last who made it. Morata is just the latest Portillo.

Jese had actually looked more impressive too in the 1st team before he got his knee injury, so I assume he will be back soon and the club probably seen him as more of a prospect than Morata. Morata never looked as good as he was hyped up to be anytime I seen him play. Bit like a Morientes player methinks. Jese has more going for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

his hair just gets better and better.

article-2703452-1FEA999000000578-963_634x780.jpg

he said Rodriguez's move proves La Liga is the best league in the world.

it merely proves that the top 2 have more money than anyone else tbh.

but yeah, the big story, Bale's wonderful new hairpiece.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    his hair just gets better and better.

article-2703452-1FEA999000000578-963_634x780.jpg

he said Rodriguez's move proves La Liga is the best league in the world.

it merely proves that the top 2 have more money than anyone else tbh.

but yeah, the big story, Bale's wonderful new hairpiece.

It is the best league in the world really. Has the highest calibre of player.

The old cliché that the EPL is the greatest league in the world seems to be dying off somewhat, as it should have done years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

The old cliché that the EPL is the greatest league in the world seems to be dying off somewhat, as it should have done years ago.

It depends what you're definition of 'best' is tbh, it's quite subjective.

I think the PL has the best blend of quality and competitiveness.

Blatter wrote: »
    It depends what you're definition of 'best' is tbh, it's quite subjective.

I think the PL has the best blend of quality and competitiveness.

Very true, although I cringe every time a Sky pundit or commentator blurts out the "best league in the world" tripe at every chance they get. It's embarrassing.

I do agree it's subjective but the quality of player at Real and Barca has reached new heights this summer and the general quality of player for the mid-table teams is higher than what people think.

Also, the performance of Spanish clubs in Europe has far exceeded the performance of English clubs over the last 5 years.

These are the most important things to consider when comparing the leagues imo.

I see sales of James shirts is now at 378,000 in 48hrs!

Sorry but not buying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I see sales of James shirts is now at 378,000 in 48hrs!

Sorry but not buying that.

Yeah it's the Daily Mail reporting it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Premier League is the most exciting and competitive of the top leagues Serie A is very competitive and could be brilliant this season with Roma,Napoli,Inter and Fiorentina building very good teams.
    La Liga is crap Barca and Madrid just corrupt the league,all the billionaires know they will never be allowed buy a team and compete with them,that's partly what happened with Malaga.
    How Real are allowed to spend this much every year is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The destruction of the Champions team proves otherwise, it has the 2 teams all players want to play for.

I prefer La Liga on the whole but the money situation is ridiculous, championship clubs can offer more wages than most la liga teams.

Which is detrimental to the league as all the best players leave.

La Liga is crap Barca and Madrid just corrupt the league,all the billionaires know they will never be allowed buy a team and compete with them,that's partly what happened with Malaga.

How is that what happened with Malaga?

What happened with Malaga was their white knight was full of sh*t.

Saying La Liga is crap is a bit silly. Their trophy haul in European competitions in recent seasons debunks that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

In terms of quality across the league, from 1 to 20 La Liga is unrivaled but there is plenty to dislike about the league too.

Advertisement