Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2014/15 Discussion Thread

1313233343537»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

I'll give the Spanish clubs(excluding the big 2) credit they have a very impressive resume in Europe especially the last 10 years which include (4 Super Cups,6 Europa Leagues, a CL final,Semi Final and some decent performances from Valencia and Malaga.

My beef is with the Barca and Reals monopoly on the TV deals, it's a joke the current champions just lost their their star man Costa,Luis and Villa.
    It's been happening for years whenever a good team is formed they are dismantled soon after because these clubs can't compete financially with other top leagues.

Consider this Valencia and A.Madrid the 3rd and 4th biggest clubs in Spain right now can't even compete financially they have crippling debts and as a result nearly every year have to sell their best players and it's worse for teams lower down the league.It doesn't help that everyone wants to
    play for Barca and Real as well.

It's a pretty competitive league with good teams from time to time but some perspective Liverpool one year went from 7th to 2nd that would never ever ever happen in La Liga,and 2 years ago in the Dutch league there were 6 teams fighting for the league again never in a million years will that happen in Spain.

I just cannot take the league seriously when I see it on the telly it's just a massive Barcalona/Real circlejerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

I'll give the Spanish clubs(excluding the big 2) credit they have a very impressive resume in Europe especially the last 10 years which include (4 Super Cups,6 Europa Leagues, a CL final,Semi Final and some decent performances from Valencia and Malaga.

My beef is with the Barca and Reals monopoly on the TV deals, it's a joke the current champions just lost their their star man Costa,Luis and Villa.
    It's been happening for years whenever a good team is formed they are dismantled soon after because these clubs can't compete financially with other top leagues.

Consider this Valencia and A.Madrid the 3rd and 4th biggest clubs in Spain right now can't even compete financially they have crippling debts and as a result nearly every year have to sell their best players and it's worse for teams lower down the league.It doesn't help that everyone wants to

It's a pretty competitive league with good teams from time to time but some perspective Liverpool one year went from 7th to 2nd that would never ever ever happen in La Liga,and 2 years ago in the Dutch league there were 6 teams fighting for the league again never in a million years will that happen in Spain.

I just cannot take the league seriously when I see it on the telly it's just a massive Barcalona/Real circlejerk.

Atletico went from 5th to champions in 2 seasons.
    The TV rights money is obviously a joke though. I read a couple of season ago that, combined, Real and Barca make more from TV rights than every other club in the Primera and Segunda combined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its the same story every season. The TV money is stupid, so why don't the others go on strike and try get a PL style deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The old cliché that the EPL is the greatest league in the world seems to be dying off somewhat, as it should have done years ago.

It never at any stage was the best league in the world ,it was just Sky marketing bluster.

There is an onus on most teams in La Liga to play decent football ,its an emphasis on skill and technique rather than strength,pace and organisation in the EPL.

The average mid table clash in England is terrible stuff ,ugly football.
    A midtable clash in Spain is far better football.
    Its a different culture ,a different way of playing and one I much prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

So you feel the best league should be determined by competitiveness?

What criteria should the "best league" to be determined by in people's opinion?

Highest calibre of player? - La Liga
    Performance in Europe over the 5 years? - La Liga
    UEFA Coefficient? - La Liga
    An Arbitrary estimation of competitiveness? - Multiple Leagues
    Treatment of fans? - Bundesliga
    Value for money when attending games - Bundesliga

Whatever way you swing it, it most certainly doesn't favour the Premiership, despite the huge following, massive TV deals and obscene spending from top to bottom. :eek:

I'm not saying that there has to be a "best league" either. It's just that people seem to write off La Liga as a 2 horse race and then when Atletico do go and win it, they start making excuses and saying it'll never happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It never at any stage was the best league in the world ,it was just Sky marketing bluster.

There is an onus on most teams in La Liga to play decent football ,its an emphasis on skill and technique rather than strength,pace and organisation in the EPL.

The average mid table clash in England is terrible stuff ,ugly football.
    A midtable clash in Spain is far better football.
    Its a different culture ,a different way of playing and one I much prefer.

That is poppycock. In the late 00's it was by far the dominant league and provided great title races. There was even the potential of an EPL lockout in the semi finals of the CL.

It wasnt until the Ronaldo-era came to an end, Guardiola got his team going and the 2nd coming of the Galacticos that the premier league plumetted in terms of quality.

If it were not for the likes of Chelsea and Man City (Who are apparently ruining football according to some) the Premier League would be a very dour place.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

elefant wrote: »
    Atletico went from 5th to champions in 2 seasons.
    The TV rights money is obviously a joke though. I read a couple of season ago that, combined, Real and Barca make more from TV rights than every other club in the Primera and Segunda combined.

TV money in England is equally a joke, where 12/20 sides don't care what they do as long as they stay up. And teams down the leagues can't compete with parachute payments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The tv rights money in la liga is being amended the season after next afaik.

Advertisement