Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2014/15 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Pique's tweet after the match was funny "Watching a great comedy on Canal + Liga…" but incensed Ancelotti who said Pique should "focus on playing rather than talking”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I wonder is this true ,lol

Mourinho cried when he didnt get the Utd job
    José Mourinho is said to have broken down in tears at the news that David Moyes had been given the Manchester United job. The allegation is contained in a book by the respected Spanish journalist Diego Torres, who writes for El País.

In the book, Prepare to Lose: the Mourinho Era, Torres says the appointment "provoked an earthquake" and that Mourinho felt let down by Sir Alex Ferguson, who had recommended Moyes to the United board.

"Mourinho ... thought that Ferguson was, besides his ally, also his friend and godfather. He was convinced that they were tied by a relationship of genuine trust. He thought that his fabulous collection of titles constituted an 'endorsement' unreachable to any other contenders. When he knew that Ferguson had chosen Moyes, the Everton coach, he was struck by a terrible disbelief. Moyes hadn't won absolutely anything!"

Torres said that Mourinho was on the phone constantly to his sports agency Gestifute. "Mourinho wouldn't stop calling them. His 'interlocutors' had heard him sob loudly and they were spreading the word. The most feared man in the company was crushed."

The book, whose account has been denied by Mourinho's adviser, goes on to describe the Portuguese spending a sleepless night in a hotel in Madrid, "the most unfortunate hours of Mourinho's phase as Real Madrid coach. He endured them between dozing and waking, glued to his mobile phone in search of clarifications, on the night of the 7th and the morning of the 8th of May, tucked into the Sheraton Mirasierra hotel." Moyes's appointment was made official on 9 May.

Mourinho, according to the book, was sure that Ferguson would call with an explanation but he heard nothing. He recalled reading comments from the United director Sir Bobby Charlton pouring scorn on the idea of him getting the job.

"He was tormented by the memory of an interview of Sir Bobby Charlton in the Guardian in December. His judgments gave him a big uncertainty. 'A United coach wouldn't do what he did to Tito Vilanova', stated Charlton, evoking the finger in the eye, when asked if he saw Mourinho as a successor for Ferguson. In regards to the admiration that Ferguson professed towards him, the veteran footballer implied that it was a fable: 'He doesn't like him that much'.

"In the morning he called Mendes so that he urgently got in touch with United. Until the end he wanted his agent to pressure the English club as an attempt to block any operation. It was an act of desperation. They both knew that Mendes had put Mourinho in the market a year earlier."

The book says that "Mendes had already been told in the autumn of 2012 that Ferguson's first option was Pep Guardiola. He had been explained the reasons. In Gestifute, the message from a United executive rumbled like a drum: 'The problem is that when things don't work for Mou, he doesn't do club politics. He does José politics.'"

Mourinho, the book says, "felt betrayed by Ferguson and feared that someone might stop taking him seriously. For years the propaganda machine acting at his services had divulged the idea of a friendship that now was revealed as a fantasy image. To give coherence to the facts in the public light, Gestifute's advisers recommended he should say that he already knew because Ferguson had called him to inform him.

"On the 9th of May someone from Gestifute got in touch with Record newspaper to say that Ferguson offered his crown to Mourinho four months ago but that he refused it because his wife preferred to live in London, and that was why he ended up choosing Chelsea. At the same time Mourinho offered an interview to Sky in which he declared that Ferguson kept him in the loop about his decisions but that he never made him the offer because he knew perfectly well that he wanted to coach Chelsea. The contradictions were not planned."

Mourinho went on to take up the offer of a second term at Chelsea from the owner, Roman Abramovich. When he took up the job in June he claimed to have known of Ferguson's plans to stand down but said he was always intent on returning to Stamford Bridge.

"I knew that Ferguson was retiring many months ago," he said. "I would have turned down every job in the world – the Manchester United job, every one – for Chelsea."

Mourinho's adviser Eladio Parames has denied the book's account. "This story does not have any sense," he is quoted by the Portuguese newspaper O Jogo. "It is completely false. It has no head or tail."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Arbeola comment was even better. He said he was glad somebody [Pique] had given up theatre for the movies. :D

I'd actually believe that about Mou. I know it's not confirmed but his ego in press conference and presentations on tactics does strike me as that type. However, we'll never know the truth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

That time of year again for the brief highs and inevitable lows of the Madrid derby. This is probably as close to favourites as Atletico have been going to the Bernabeu for quite some time, and even then they are a 19/5 shot.

Winning the Copa del Rey last year will hopefully have got the team over the psychological barrier that facing Real Madrid has always been, but there is still the small matter of the most expensively assembled team in the history of the game to overcome.

Mario Suarez came off midweek against Osasuna but trained yesterday. He's in great form and it is vital that he is fit and playing today. Himself and Gabi break up play in the middle excellently, and can severely diminish Isco's influence on the game. If Suarez doesn't make it, Tiago will probably step in. Tiago is good on the ball, but he is an absolute ghost in big games. If he plays, Real Madrid win.

Despite having 16 points from 18, los Putos Vikingos haven't had the best start to the season. Their defence has appeared a bit nervy, and if Filipe Luis can link up with Arda Turan down the left and get at Carvajal, Atleti can win this. Diego Costa is going to be doing his best to distract Pepe and Ramos, and Villa is good enough to pounce on any scraps. Koke is rapidly becoming the best distributor of a dead-ball in Spain. Atletico know they can get goals tonight.

The problem is stopping them. Ronaldo loves playing Atleti, something I've had the misfortune to witness in person more than once. In the corresponding fixture last season he was the difference and if he is in the mood he may just prove too good. Not to mention Isco, Bale, Modric etc.

Whatever happens it should be a cracking game. If Atletico do pull it off and win, it's time to start viewing them as title contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

"Koke is rapidly becoming the best distributor of a dead-ball in Spain." ^

He's a great, great player. He was the linchpin the Spain u-21 side, and the reason Isco and Thiago are allowed such freedom. His work rate is excellent and his attacking play has improved lots over the last 12-18 months imo!

• Advertisement

Cannot wait for the derby tonight. As far as I'm concerned Atletico are already title contenders. It's just the "thinness" of their squad that may hurt them in the later half of the season. It's ironic that they'd probably be stronger contenders if they weren't in the UCL. As it stands they're a quality quality side for both competitions that no side will really want to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Oh what a supreme strike from the supreme player in the annals of football history. Barcelona 1-0 up.

oh it's glorious! the midfield maestro, Xavi Hernandez, conducting an orchestra filled with genius, Fabregas, the best player in any major league in Euorpe so far this season, notches another assist and Adriano, from left back, finishes like a number 9...only at Barcelona.2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

:pac:

Almeria doing well i suppose

the possession, control and slick triangles Barcelona are performing right now is something to see. Pure football.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I used to like the La Liga thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

Puddles of spunk everywhere.

Just count your blessings that Barcelona and Chelsea aren't playing in the same domestic tournaments. :pac:

Well here's the thing, at times this evening that Barcelona performance was close to some of their best stuff and some of that was without Messi (or Neymar) even being on the pitch. I think that the kind of football that Barcelona produce is too often taken for granted, to steal a quote from, ironically, a video game, it's like watching a video game. If we can't rejoice at the dazzling brand of football produced by, arguably, the greatest team ever, then no football fan should rejoice ever.

Well here's the thing, at times this evening that Barcelona performance was close to some of their best stuff and some of that was without Messi (or Neymar) even being on the pitch. I think that the kind of football that Barcelona produce is too often taken for granted, to steal a quote from, ironically, a video game, it's like watching a video game. If we can't rejoice at the dazzling brand of football produced by, arguably, the greatest team ever, then no football fan should rejoice ever.

Yeah no one will deny they can be amazing to watch at times. It's just there's no real need for the cringe commentary applied to their magic movements. Obviously, not going to say you should stop either. If it's how you feel about them then all I can say I don't agree with it.

Sociedad are really struggling to defend counter attacks.

Jernal wrote: »
    Yeah no one will deny they can be amazing to watch at times. It's just there's no real need for the cringe commentary applied to their magic movements. Obviously, not going to say you should stop either. If it's how you feel about them then all I can say I don't agree with it.

Sociedad are really struggling to defend counter attacks.

There is though, case in point Barcelona's first and second goals, sublime goals. The first, the result of genius via Messi, the second, the product of probably the most collectively gifted team football has ever seen, a vintage Barcelona goal and yet nothing, no comments, no appreciation for the brilliance on show, brilliance which may never be matched in the future. So yes, I think they are worthy of high praise.

La Real never seem to get the rub of the green luck wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

Really looking forward to the madrid derby, love watching simeones atleti and am hoping they can pull it off.

Bale on the bench for real

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

There is though, case in point Barcelona's first and second goals, sublime goals. The first, the result of genius via Messi, the second, the product of probably the most collectively gifted team football has ever seen, a vintage Barcelona goal and yet nothing, no comments, no appreciation for the brilliance on show, brilliance which may never be matched in the future. So yes, I think they are worthy of high praise.

Basically I think your posts are a little repetitive and out of the norm when you see how most others post on here.

To sum you up, you are to boards what Ray Hudson is to sports commentating. Not every ones cup of tea, don't take it personally :)

Lol @ Sky Sports GTA La Liga.

It's actually quite accurate this could be a brawl and threatrics fest. :D

• Advertisement

Atletico have had quite the start here. Typically ferocious and the quality to go a goal ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Brazil has successfully blocked Atlético Madrid striker, Diego Costa’s call-up to the Spanish national team, but the Brazilian-born Spanish citizen has already made a verbal commitment with manager Vicente Del Bosque to join La Roja as the RFEF look to appeal the decision.

FIFA has informed the RFEF that Diego Costa is not eligible for selection to the Spanish national team stating Chapter III, Article 8 of the FIFA regulations.

“A player shall have the right to change associations only if you haven’t played (partially or completely) in an ‘A’ international match in an official competition representing the Association in which they are located, and if at the time of his first participation, partial or complete, in an international match in an official competition representing the partnership.”

Brazil contended that it was unfair to allow Spain to call up Costa for their World Cup qualifying matches in two weeks, as they are the host country, and therefor play no official matches and are unable to tie down Costa.

As of now, FIFA has ruled that Costa is not eligible to play with either Brazil or Spain and the case will move to the Player Status Committee, where RFEF vice-president, Juan Padron is on the board that will decide Costa’s future.

Surely if the player has dual citizenship it should be left to him to play for who he wants as he hasn't yet played for either country at the restriction level? Seems harsh if he wants to play for Spain and has never been selected for Brazil at the level that matters that he can't play for Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Is it not the players choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Levante 1 up over Madrid.

That didn't last long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Cracking end to the game here, Madrid just drew back level to 2-2 in the 90th minute, 4 minutes of injury time just now.

Ronaldo 3-2!!!! 94th minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You cannot put a price on that man.

Great game.

What an end to the game, full time 3-2 to Madrid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ancelotti won't last the season. Madrid are a complete and utter circus of a club.

Some move for Levante's first too; serious quality counter attacking football. The finish was class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Shocking defending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Only caught the last 15 minutes of the Real game. Best 15 minutes to have caught!

Valladolid take the lead against Barca from a corner.

EDIT: Sanchez makes it 1-1...

Oh a thunderbolt off the considerably talented right foot of Alexis Sanchez who this season looks like the player Barcelona bought for close to 30 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Serious hit in fairness.

Yeah serious power in that hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Song needs to introduce subtlety to his game. Hes always trying to do both a Busquets role and to bomb forward. His attack positioning sense is terrible.

Also the day Gerry Armstrong retires, is the day Sky Sports gets 10x better

Yeah, it annoys me how often he says "for me".

Referee is basing his opinions on the past. WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Shocking, stonewall peno and a red card.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous decisions and Neymar is being kicked around the place, awful.

Neymar definitely had a call for a penalty anyway. He has made a reputation for himself and now he's paying for it.

Great teamwork and burst by Neymar

Such patience! Neymar's turn of pace, his dizzying footwork, the man is magic as he takes on the mantle of main man tonight, Messi really hasn't been badly missed, I couldn't pay him much more of a compliment. Xavi Hernandez, the pass master, strokes the ball into the net just as he will stroke the ball around the pitch many times over the course of 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Neymar might not have the goals to show for it but he has slotted in nicely at Barca. Looks like he belongs.

So many more shots from the edge of the box under Tata, nice subtle change that has been made.

3-1! the speed to go from winning the ball on the half way line to the ball ending up in the net is lightning quick. Sanchez gets his second, he fully deserves it, he's been excellent tonight. Neymar with the assist, the man was born to play for Barcelona, I don't care what anyone says, I'd have him over Bale any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

3-1! the speed to go from winning the ball on the half way line to the ball ending up in the net is lightning quick. Sanchez gets his second, he fully deserves it, he's been excellent tonight. Neymar with the assist, the man was born to play for Barcelona, I don't care what anyone says, I'd have him over Bale any day of the week.

Yeah i had my doubts but he looks a natural fit. Good to see he doesn't seem to have too much of an ego either.

Selfless from Sanchez. Can't believe I was indifferent about him leaving if the opportunity arose this time last year

oh my word, the maestro Xavi Hernandez, for me (credit Gerry Armstrong) the greatest midfielder I've ever seen play the game, genius, pure genius. Sanchez though so unselfish, he works so hard off the ball and seems to have really put his head down this season and become a real Barcelona player. Neymar, what else can you say, for me, along with Messi, Ronaldo, Iniesta and Xavi, one of the best players in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement