Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading to St.Pats drumcondra?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 emzz

Geography has LOTS of work in it, but apparently very interesting - lot of assignments

History is ok, if you're interested or a history buff it's a great move! Though I found a lot of the lecturers hard to listen to. Quite a few essays involved, which cause a bit of stress, but a lot of people get essays from other people - so it can be a bit annoying if you're working off your own initiative and others are handing up other peoples essays! :/ there's 3-4 lectures a week and a tutorial!

Irish.. hmm. I got an A1 in my leaving cert and thought I was great at it...then I got to Pats! I tend to be very average with grades there now! Still passable though with a bit of work. The department as a whole are so lovely, the lectures are ok, there are no assignments, but everything depends on your exam/oral so the end of the year sees the bulk of the work. You'll have an Irish seminar every week and you'll get little bits of homework but they're grand! Don't make the mistake of not attending them 'cause the work counts towards your grades at the end of the year! *Ye'll have seminars as well if ye don't take Irish as an academic, but they're generally quite basic and not too full on:)

English - essays spaced throughout the year, if you can keep on top of it.. go for it! Seems to be marked quite easily but they're VERY tight on plagiarism! Interesting lectures, if you don't do english as an academic with your B.Ed, you'll have to do an extra english class anyways so you'll be cutting down on lecture time if you do it by an hour a week!

Music - I hear a lot of work, stressful, and not highly recommended unless you have a great aptitude for music, written exams and practicals for assessment! I think there are assignments too!

Religion - I hear it's crazily easy and you're not over burdened with work! Again by doing it as an academic you don't have to attend certain B.Ed lectures to do with religion so you have less lecture time (for certain lectures now, not all of them!:))

Human Development for anyone doing the BA is supposed to be great! easy enough, kind of like psychology from what I gather!

Maths.. unless you love maths it's best to steer clear! Most people I know who took it regret doing it, but then that's just a section of people I know! If you have a head for numbers, go for it. I notice that maths people tend to work together a lot so there should be lots of help if you need it!:)

French is fairly full on from what I gather and a lot of variety in it.. there's exams and an oral exam and I don't know what the craic is with assignments!

I would say if possible take a taster of everything - and don't do something just cause you were good at it in Leaving cert, do something you reckon you'll enjoy or at least something you might attend lecture-wise! Everything is do-able, and in fairness most things have a relative amount of work/difficulty involved.. but sure that's college for you. Stay on top of it and you'll be more than fine!

I think that's everything!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭PashaMasha

Just finished three years of history, there is a lot in it. Lots of essays and long exams, enjoyable and manageable though. Sure if it were easy everyone would be doing it.

Yeah I'll just pick history to hell, I can drop it if I really hate it anyways. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭computer44

And that does sum it up. There's nothing too easy at 3rd level.

There will be assignments, exams and a little pressure at times.

But most of all enjoy your Uni years.

Do not forget your GAA jerseys as Pats is the biggest teacher training college in the country and highly respected we expect to know where you come from.

Tipp myself, but you will see everyone wearing their county jersey.

And no slagging to Dublin, God bless them but they are a good team both in football and hurling.

They demoralised Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JackyDaydream

So I got a C2 in higher maths and was thinking of doing it at Pats, could anyone help me by telling me if its very difficult and should i pick another subject?

• Advertisement

So I got a C2 in higher maths and was thinking of doing it at Pats, could anyone help me by telling me if its very difficult and should i pick another subject?

I got a C2 as well but I'm not willing to take the risk picking it, anything more than that project maths course and my brain will explode :p

PashaMasha wrote: »
    I got a C2 as well but I'm not willing to take the risk picking it, anything more than that project maths course and my brain will explode :p

What subjects have you picked? :)

What subjects have you picked? :)

English, Irish and history (Still might switch history with biology, might go to some biology classes too and see). What about you? :o

English, Irish and history (Still might switch history with biology, might go to some biology classes too and see). What about you? :o

I've picked Irish maths and religion, but I'm in too mind about maths and might do English instead! Wouldn't mind doing biology aswel! Aaaah this is so confusing! :(

I've picked Irish maths and religion, but I'm in too mind about maths and might do English instead! Wouldn't mind doing biology aswel! Aaaah this is so confusing! :(

I'm sure they won't be strict about switching classes, if you want to do maths go for it and go to the biology and english classes as well, make an informed decision after a couple of weeks. ;) Bit of a shambles because I didn't do a single subject in group D for the lc so my choices are limited to the other 3 groups

• Advertisement

I'm sure they won't be strict about switching classes, if you want to do maths go for it and go to the biology and english classes as well, make an informed decision after a couple of weeks. ;) Bit of a shambles because I didn't do a single subject in group D for the lc so my choices are limited to the other 3 groups

Oh are we allowed to switch classes when we get there? :o I didn't do religion for LC but I heard its a good one to have and is handy enough with not too much work involved in comparison to the others! :)

Oh are we allowed to switch classes when we get there? :o I didn't do religion for LC but I heard its a good one to have and is handy enough with not too much work involved in comparison to the others! :)

I'd imagine so, as long as you change within the first couple of weeks I'd say! Yeah religion could be a good one alright, might be like history but from a religious aspect! Argh it's annoying though, getting recommendations for different subjects the whole time :D

I'd imagine so, as long as you change within the first couple of weeks I'd say! Yeah religion could be a good one alright, might be like history but from a religious aspect! Argh it's annoying though, getting recommendations for different subjects the whole time :D

Oh ok, I think I might do English instead of maths! Yeah could be! :) haha really? What are they recommending to do? :P

Oh ok, I think I might do English instead of maths! Yeah could be! :) haha really? What are they recommending to do? :P

English seems to be the main recommendation, very low failure rate! Like English was my weakest result in the lc but I'll still give it a go :p Irish seems to be recommended a lot too. The thing about religion though is it would be irrelevant on a CV if you're applying for a job in an educate together school. Sure at the end of the day you'll be dropping 2 of the subjects at the end of 1st year so it's not a major issue

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

@JackyDaydream and @PashaMasha - I am going into 3rd Year now and I am studying Maths and Geography - both my worst and best subject in LC got a D2 and B2 respectively. Maths is quite hard I must admit but on the plus side there is only 20 in my class so any problems can get ironed out quickly as lecturer's know the student quite well. Sometimes I wish I didn't pick maths but I didn't fancy doing human development. Last year however I heard there was ~50 B.Ed's doing Maths in 1st Year. However the Maths is nothing like school Maths really a bit of differentiation and bits and pieces are the same but the majority is quite different.

Also on the note of taking Irish as part of the B.Ed you'll then be qualified to teach in a Gaelscoil so I am told.

Do not worry, just ground down. There is no point in this forum discussing the differential between Math or English, you are making it like a leaving cert all over again.

Uni is meant to be a happy time and you have even got in the door yet.

I am sure as an adult going into 3rd level, you can think for yourself.

Think for yourself, nobody can tell your strong points only you,

No teaching posts in any Irish school in Dublin. there's a few down the country ok.

Spotted one in Naas,

Do not be pig headed, in that you have not have started at college yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Gentle reminder for users to be as civil as possible to other users (i.e. no name-calling and the like). Thank you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 22322

i know this post is like a year old but just read it and wondered is St.Pats really that strict! Tbh im kinda turned off living on campus, cos my sister and boyfriend are in Dublin like and i presumed they would be able to stay over, but clearly not!
    If i get the points and accepted i'll be going alone and im not sure would living off campus be a bad idea as it would be harder to make friends? :confused:

22322 wrote: »
    i know this post is like a year old but just read it and wondered is St.Pats really that strict! Tbh im kinda turned off living on campus, cos my sister and boyfriend are in Dublin like and i presumed they would be able to stay over, but clearly not!
    If i get the points and accepted i'll be going alone and im not sure would living off campus be a bad idea as it would be harder to make friends? :confused:

I'm in Pats now and I'd say go for the on campus, even though they're strict. I didn't get on campus and I'm in digs now and not enjoying at all, as you said it's much tougher getting to know people outside the group you're put in when off campus. If you're really against the idea of going on campus I'd say try getting in the Marino Student Accommodation, it's pricey (Going up to 135 a week for next year I think) but the security there are meant to be very soft compared to Pat's security (No fines for alcohol, easier to let friends stay over). As well as that the quality of the accommodation is much better than pats, sharing a kitchen with only 2-4 other people plus the bedrooms are en-suite. (You'd need to be applying for that ASAP though because that accommodation goes quick enough) I know people who've been able to get others to stay over in Pat's accommodation overnight but you'd have to bring them in before 11 at night so that's pretty useless when going out.
    If you get the course you'll be put in a group with about 35 other students and you'll be in a lot of lectures with your group that year so making friends in that respect isn't that difficult if you're off campus, however it'll be much easier if you're on campus. Look at the digs and housing list on the Pat's SU if you definitely don't want to live on campus. All in all even though on campus is strict Id say just go for it, you'll find ways to drink there if you're cute enough (The Cat and Cage is across the road anyways) and it's much handier to get to 9 o'clock lectures since you don't have to walk/commute. Hope that helps ya anyways

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 22322

Thanks Pasha Masha, that was a great help!
    its good to hear that from someone who is there. And St.Pats accomodation doesnt sound too bad now.. but ill still look into Marino accomodation anyway.
    Even though my parents wont be happy with the price :(
    It was more the friends staying over thing that bothered me more than the drinking because i was talking to a girl and she said its easy enough to drink once you do it in your room not the common room!
    if you got caught 3 times with someone staying over would they realy kick you out, because that would be a nightmare :eek:

Advertisement