Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Taxi Company Opportunity Dublin

Options
  • 18-08-2013 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there,

I am currently seeking advice, guidance and feedback on the realism of setting up a new taxi company in dublin.

Some questions I am throwing out there are the following:

Q1 Is it realistic? Based on the amount of established companies already operating in the city

Q2 Is it profitable ? Competitors using advance technology i.e Phone Apps, Internet, GPS systems vs two way radio operated companies i.e. Small Taxi Firm

Q3 Is the taxi industry changing so much that there will be no need for taxi companies to be established anymore e.g. the fact that a customer can now book a taxi using a app instead of calling a phone number,email, etc.

Any feedback would be welcome in particular with current M.D.s of established taxi companies and or taxi drivers who work with taxi companies.

Thanks

Is there a opportunity for a new taxi company based on the current taxi industry? 4 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

It seems like there's a massive shift to Hailo, at least in large cities. The traditional taxi business model is in decline. Drivers love it because they only pay for the work they get. (10% of fare). A lot of drivers seem to resent the radio companies as they pay around €100 per week regardless of volume.

Passengers love it because it's like having your own taxi account, you can see how far away the car is, there's a greater sense if security, and it's cheaper......no callout charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I take a lot of taxis, I genuinely haven't phoned or hailed one on the street since I started using Hailo late last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Taxi companies are toast, no market demand, no USP, a no appeal to the guys that pay the dough, the drivers! The business has been overtaken by technology, even my age cohort ( early 1950's model) get it... It's game over!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 antipuker

I work for a cab co', no discernible difference since the likes of xpert or even hailo arrived, people are wont to try new gimmicks but nearly always revert to type.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

antipuker wrote: »
    I work for a cab co', no discernible difference since the likes of xpert or even hailo arrived, people are wont to try new gimmicks but nearly always revert to type.

Seriously ????

You've got to be kidding. I walked out of a pub the other night to about 15 taxis. The guy I'd Hailo-ed pulled up as the rest of them looked on. I find it hard to believe that an app like that isn't knocking the crap out of the old "call and wait for ages" system.
    The last time I called a taxi company (about a year ago) she told me I should have booked it earlier. I had to wait 45 minutes. No more of that nonsense thankfully. I, for one, have found my new "type".

• Advertisement

The Titanic Taxi Co is run by Mr Iceberg or is it Mr Goldberg!

Recession really scuppered that one. I hear all their property interests are underwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭big barrie

some hailo drivers are trying to charge a min 20 yo,yos per job , some drivers say their phone is broke , some plead for you to pay cash as they done only credit card work., its the min 2o euros i have a gripe with this is illegal as you are only to pay what is registered on the meter one geezer even had a note laminated in his cab at dublin airport. beware...

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭big barrie

Hi there,

I am currently seeking advice, guidance and feedback on the realism of setting up a new taxi company in dublin.

Some questions I am throwing out there are the following:

Q1 Is it realistic? Based on the amount of established companies already operating in the city

Q2 Is it profitable ? Competitors using advance technology i.e Phone Apps, Internet, GPS systems vs two way radio operated companies i.e. Small Taxi Firm

Q3 Is the taxi industry changing so much that there will be no need for taxi companies to be established anymore e.g. the fact that a customer can now book a taxi using a app instead of calling a phone number,email, etc.

Any feedback would be welcome in particular with current M.D.s of established taxi companies and or taxi drivers who work with taxi companies.

Thanks

the company will survive if you charge drivers on a pay per job , not on a set weekly freight,

big barrie wrote: »
    some hailo drivers are trying to charge a min 20 yo,yos per job , some drivers say their phone is broke , some plead for you to pay cash as they done only credit card work., its the min 2o euros i have a gripe with this is illegal as you are only to pay what is registered on the meter one geezer even had a note laminated in his cab at dublin airport. beware...

Real easy, report abuse to Hailo... I driver does not sort it.. They are gonzo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Real easy, report abuse to Hailo... I driver does not sort it.. They are gonzo!

exactly, I had an issue with one driver, reported it, hailo took the details, and few days later rang me back to inform that he had been removed from their system and they gave me my fare back and a €10 credit as an apology.

Best customer service I have dealt with in years.

A brilliant company, the taximan above who is putting the boot into them obviously has no idea how the app works as the stuff he is claiming is going on is not possible to do. I get approx 20+ taxis a month, and have done everyone of these trips on hailo since last Summer, I have never ever come across any of these alledged scams

big barrie wrote: »

"Sorry Bud, it's €20. Me phone is broke"
    "Maybe, but your meter isn't"

Hammertime wrote: »
    exactly, I had an issue with one driver, reported it, hailo took the details, and few days later rang me back to inform that he had been removed from their system and they gave me my fare back and a €10 credit as an apology.

Best customer service I have dealt with in years.

And yet Hailo's T's and C's say this:

1.3 Please note that we are not responsible for the behaviour, actions or inactions of drivers of taxis which you may use (through Hailo or otherwise). Any contract for the provision of taxi services is between you and the driver and not Hailo and we simply provide a platform to introduce drivers and passengers.

Looks like a good, customer focused company by all accounts.

DubTony wrote: »
    And yet Hailo's T's and C's say this:

1.3 Please note that we are not responsible for the behaviour, actions or inactions of drivers of taxis which you may use (through Hailo or otherwise). Any contract for the provision of taxi services is between you and the driver and not Hailo and we simply provide a platform to introduce drivers and passengers.

Looks like a good, customer focused company by all accounts.

Be that as it may, it is how they handle the issue that counts... Hammertime gave the real result.. Great to see the customer being valued.. Nothing to do with what the t&cs might say!

Be that as it may, it is how they handle the issue that counts... Hammertime gave the real result.. Great to see the customer being valued.. Nothing to do with what the t&cs might say!

My point being that they choose to ignore their owns Terms in favour of the customer, making them a good, customer focused company. :)

I remember a meeting a few years ago, while trying to sort out a "business issue", my accountant said "If you mention terms and conditions again, I'll go over the table after you", to the woman we were "dealing" with.

It's good to know that there are businesses out there who don't always hide behind what they've written on paper.

Hammertime wrote: »

As one of their drivers explained to me, if you complain to a radio company then it costs them EUR 5k a year in revenue to kick out a driver so they won't do it. It costs Hailo nothing to remove a driver as they rely on passengers for their revenue.....which is why they spent a few quid for your loyalty.

All the drivers I've met are very positive about it.

DubTony wrote: »
    Seriously ????

You've got to be kidding. I walked out of a pub the other night to about 15 taxis. The guy I'd Hailo-ed pulled up as the rest of them looked on. I find it hard to believe that an app like that isn't knocking the crap out of the old "call and wait for ages" system.
    The last time I called a taxi company (about a year ago) she told me I should have booked it earlier. I had to wait 45 minutes. No more of that nonsense thankfully. I, for one, have found my new "type".
    15 guys parked outside a pub ...and you used your phone to call a cab? overkill I'd say, anyway you're just one.

15 guys parked outside a pub ...and you used your phone to call a cab? overkill I'd say, anyway you're just one.

I see you've just got loads to contribute. I was IN the pub. I don't make a habit of going outside to see if there's a lift home when I can use an app from the comfort of my seat.

And you should start looking for another job. Yours is about to be outsourced to the 21st century.

Bigcheeze's point is well made, it is Hailo and it's benefits that consumers love. A record of the driver/car, an electrocic receipt,and a much greater level of personal security, no pickup fee and you only have to go out on the street when it actually arrives, auto card payment facility... the list goes on.

As it happens I have some inside knowledge of Hailo in Ireland, when it was first introduced they offered the drivers a 2 Euro passenger "no show" credit. Guess what happened some drivers were making the calls to get the 2 yoyos!! You gotta love 'em!

There are many really great taxi drivers out there who do a great job, look after their cars with great pride and often go the extra mile to provide helpful service, I salute them. Sadly the industry has also attracted some individuals who have brought a lot of bad PR on their trade. The likes of Hailo will help increase the quality of the overall taxi service if we the consumers make complaints about bad manners. chancy route taking, dirty drivers/cars etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

One out of many, he didn't have to leave the pub or look out the window to see if there was one there

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Or from another perspective:

15 cabbies parked outside a pub waiting for a fare. The one using the Hailo app doesn't wait, gets the fare anyway.

Boys and Toys.

enough to make you want to throw up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Since signing up to Hailo I'll never use a radio company ever again. No more bla bla, he's just around the corner bla bla

Or flag someone down. Why flag a randomer who could be a bogey when you can grab a Hailo driver in the area.

He's free, I'm free, works for us both

Also , you do have to wonder why hailo closed entry for drivers to their scheme, I was going to join but was told they don't have enough work to go around and closed entry ...for now.

Other cab co' have App's, as well as Go-taxi: https://www.facebook.com/IrelandGoTaxi?ref=bf, I'm not interested in arguing any point with you guys, if you choose one type of service , good luck to you, what puts food on my table is what interests me.

Graham wrote: »

15 cabbies parked outside a pub waiting for a fare. The one using the Hailo app doesn't wait, gets the fare anyway.
    The hail-o guy is probably parked outside amongst the 15 , anyway I'm glad for you.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Since signing up to Hailo I'll never use a radio company ever again. No more bla bla, he's just around the corner bla bla

Or flag someone down. Why flag a randomer who could be a bogey when you can grab a Hailo driver in the area.

He's free, I'm free, works for us both
    Up to 33% discounts given by a driver, why would consumers complain? sheep were born to be sheared.

I'm glad you've found something that makes you happy.

Up to 33% discounts given by a driver, why would consumers complain? sheep were born to be sheared.

If you want to put it like that the driver is giving "up to 100% discount" on his first 5-10 fares every week from the radio company.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Graham wrote: »

15 cabbies parked outside, 7 of them on Hailo anyway, why didn't the job go to the nearest car? Seen it happen and have had it happen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I don't think the drivers themselves have too much to worry about as long as they're able/willing to keep up with the technology. If Hailo or their ilk are charging too much, competing apps won't be long catching up.

I think it's the radio cab companies that will increasingly feel the pinch.

Advertisement