Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Library fines

Options
  • 18-08-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

''Before you are permitted to graduate, you must have paid all fees and fines (including outstanding library fines) and returned all books and property to the University by Monday 19 August 2013.''

Wonder is this a bit of a bluff?. Not really up for forking out 50 quid!. Anyone every heard of anybody not being allowed to graduate with outstanding fines?.

It's also very strange how they havn't sent out any reminders via email etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Its not a bluff. You owe them money and they are not going to give you a degree so you cut ties and skip out on paying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Not a bluff. You won't graduate unless you pay up.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

yep, they wont let you graduate...

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sunhill

It depresses me that they're giving degrees to people who feel it necessary to ask the question in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mr.Mackey

Maybe you should me more depressed by the fact that current students are finding it not only difficult to fund their time in college but also graduates have very low prospects of obtaining employment.

Perhaps this person may not be the chancer or idiot you make him out to be, perhaps if this person was in a more comfortable position financially they would not be asking this question.

I was in college between 2000-2003, I could drop a part time job on a Sun evening and start a new one the following week no problem. Times have changed.

Perhaps the library might agree to some form of payment plan, they can be flexible with these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Maybe you should have just returned the books in time then maybe and quit complaining. You knew the rules when you took the books out?

numorouno wrote: »
    Maybe you should have just returned the books in time then maybe and quit complaining. You knew the rules when you took the books out?

To be fair, cup of tea was just asking a question and it is a reasonable one to ask. He wasn't actually complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

To be fair, cup of tea was just asking a question and it is a reasonable one to ask. He wasn't actually complaining about it.

Ok sorry. Maybe I took up the tone wrong.whoops

numorouno wrote: »
    Ok sorry. Maybe I took up the tone wrong.whoops

It's grand, if you're going to address it to anyone, address it to Mr. Mackey who seems to think there is no issue, and that the current financial times means it is ok to build up completely avoidable fines (a 50 euro fine would be built up over a long enough period) to the point that you should be allowed to do a repayment schedule with the library.....

Edit: Unless of course his post was a joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Mr.Mackey

It's grand, if you're going to address it to anyone, address it to Mr. Mackey who seems to think there is no issue, and that the current financial times means it is ok to build up completely avoidable fines (a 50 euro fine would be built up over a long enough period) to the point that you should be allowed to do a repayment schedule with the library.....

Edit: Unless of course his post was a joke..

I don't know where to begin with this one, I never said it was ok, I responsed to the comment made that a person is currently going through a bout of depression because degrees are given t to people who ask these kind of questions.

Just for the record a 50e fine can be built up in a matter hours with an overdue short term loan.

The current economic situation is no excuse for not paying dues but plans can be made.

I was merely stating we don't know what financial position this person is in so there's no need to pass judgement so quickly, have another read of the thread.

• Advertisement

Well the apologies for jumping the gun on that one.

If people amass library fines it is their fault. If they don't pay them off before graduation (let's face it, they have June, July and August to do it), it is their fault. I don't see why any type of system should be put in place for it.

For the record, a 50 euro fine can be built up over 50 hours (if it is short loan) . Not a matter of hours. Short loans are what they are, 3 hours or 1 day that is. If someone is again stupid enough (again not directed at you cup of tea, just making the point to anyone who feels like they can declare themselves a victim in this situation) to not return it in the allotted time, it is their fault. As for 3 day loans it is 3 euro per day there after and regular loans 50c, going up to 1 euro after day 6.

So you know what, let them pay it all in one go. People have to stop playing the victim card, even in this economic climate. A payment plan? They don't deserve it, they did it to themselves. You can't play the victim card on everything, and certainly not on something completely avoidable as library loans.

Edit: Sorry I will say, if there are either some incredible circumstances or the fine is incredibly huge, then maybe consider it. I would imagine though, a person can create their own payment plan, paying it off as they go, instead of waiting until right before graduation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Also to differentiate between graduating (your degree being approved by the university) and conferring (getting dressed up to receive your piece of paper), this does mean that not only may you not process for conferring, you would be committing fraud and lying on an application if you were to state you had the withheld degree.

It's a load of tosh like most things in the college. I never paid and graduated. Hell I even took one of the textbooks with me on Co-Op to America for three months to prepare for my FYP. I got back just in time as two days later they twigged and sent me a letter!

Other crap:
    Buying books:
    I did a Humanities degree and my orientation guide conned me into buying his books at the start of first year. Totally unnecessary.
    Advisor nonsense:
    Eoin Quill... lovely guy. Probably talked to him twice in four years. God knows what that was all about.
    Tutorials:
    The tutor looks for someone....anyone to interact with and then usually concentrates on that poor soul for the whole tutorial. Job done and they head back over to the Foundation building and their cubicle.
    Co-Op reports:
    Just bought a book on the area I was in whilst in Germany and copied out the best bits. Never heard another thing about it.
    Co-Op:
    The "officer" organised me train tickets whose destination left me miles from my accommodation. Had to pay a fortune for a taxi and when I got there I found out I had no bedroom. Our liaison at the company I was to work for couldn't speak any English..

That's only the stuff off the top of my head. I mean recently I tried to order a graduation video from the audio visual department and was told they couldn't afford to produce it!

The staff walk around like they think they're teachers at school and the students are kids. Last I saw some of them have a time sheet that requires them to fill in what they are doing throughout the day. That made me happy.

Oh and now that I've graduated and if I ring to inquire about something like the pool or the gym then the minute you say hello they want to take down every personal detail going. I signed up to use the library facilities one time and even though I was paying them and in cash I was interrogated about where I was working, what was I doing and how long I had been there. I mean f**k off!!

After I graduated they were contacting the crap out of me trying to get me to fill in that "had you found work" survey. I completely ignored it because they wouldn't lift a finger to help you while I was there. Someone from the Careers office eentually rang my family home (using phone details that are supposed to be data protected) and questioned my elderly parents about what I was employed at without my consent. The absolute cheek! They seem to think they are working for the FBI.

Don't pay any library fines. Don't mind the well-to-do and holier-than-thou posters on this thread who say it's stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

^
    It sounds like you've just had a bad time :o

Buying books: Some courses need books. You just got scammed, it doesn't mean no-one should buy books.
    Adviser: Good for you, you didn't need it. Some people go through a bit of a rough time, academically or get genuinely stuck at something and need them. Other just like the security of having someone to go to, just in case.
    Tutorials: I found them very helpful. Sometimes, the lecturer is too hard pressed on time or have too big a class to answer some questions fully. The tutorials are great for these. Obviously, there are some tutors who haven't a clue what they're doing, but most, I found to be quite useful. In fact, you could nearly pass a class in some modules, based on the tutorials alone.
    Co-Op: Dunno, haven't done it yet. Co-Op office is a bit of a shambles alright.

As for the staff walking around as though the students are kids, I have yet to experience that. Even in first year, when, legally, I was still a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭cup of tea

Thought it was a valid enough question to be honest, a lot of people on high horses floating about. Wasn't complaining about the fine and thanks for letting me know I should have returned the books back on time :rolleyes: It was my own fault, I'm not denying that!. 2 short loan books which were a day late( 1 of which was due to circumstances beyond my control!) cost me 20e each :eek: .

Live and learn. Also as mentioned above, it didn't in fact take me long at all to accumulate to my amount, those 2 short loan books were a killer. Just to clarify once more.....I'm not complaining!!. Furthermore, no reports of anybody being denied graduation due to outstanding fines as of yet(don't bite).

Advertisement