Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting suspected re-reg accounts for banned users

Options
  • 18-08-2013 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering what the rules relating to this is.

If i suspect an account to be a re-reg for a user with a banned account is it worth reporting it especially if its only a suspicion?

If so do i just go about reporting one of their posts and tag it as a suspected re-reg?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If i suspect an account to be a re-reg for a user with a banned account is it worth reporting it especially if its only a suspicion?
    These comments are sometimes useful, especially in the Politics forums, where we often have troublesome posters that return after being forum or site banned. Please only use the official report function, and not comment in-thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

When I've suspected somebody to be a re-reg of a banned user (thankfully, I've been right when I've done it! :pac:), I've just PMd an Admin, and told them what I think, with any proof that I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I don't really have an definitive proof other than a feeling based on what they post which is often trolling comments from the poster in question but i'm about 90% sure i'm right.

Do re-regs of banned users often get overlooked by mods and admins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I don't really have an definitive proof other than a feeling based on what they post which is often trolling comments from the poster in question but i'm about 90% sure i'm right.

I wouldn't say that they get overlooked. More than likely, there are so any mod/admin duties that need to be done, that they simply don't have the time to spot them all.

It's easy for us, we just browse the site, we're bored, we can spot some of them. A lot of the time, the admin and mod team don't have the time to just aimlessly browse on boards. If you suspect someone is a re-reg, it can't do any harm to report it to an Admin. They have tools other than just reading the person's posts, to determine if they're a re-reg or not. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Mods, Cmods, and Admins have utilities to investigate re-regs. Re-regs are frequently reported by mods to Admin, where they are investigated in greater depth. Duplicate accounts violate the boards.ie Terms of Use (and some forum charters), and if used to circumvent a ban, can be dealt with quite severely.

• Advertisement

Use the report function on one of the user's posts, it will then be followed up by the local mods who will pass it on to the admins for action if necessary.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Use the report function on one of the user's posts, it will then be followed up by the local mods who will pass it on to the admins for action if necessary.

This is probably the best course of action. You can PM an admin directly, but if the admin you contact is away it could take a while for it to be dealt with. However the mods have access to a thread where they can post suspected re-regs for any passing admin to have a look at.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You don't have to be certain to report a post as from a potential re-reg. Just pass on your suspicions and give any reasons or info you think might assist in verifying the posters identity.

We investigate loads of reports and by no means are all of them acted upon, which is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Sometimes it's more a case of not enough proof to ban as opposed to being overlooked.

Some of the f*ckers are quite industrious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This may be a little perverse but I like to see a re-reg get under the radar, get back into the groove and then a few months down the line BAM banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

That happens the odd time, but obviously it's not something that would be visible to most people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 THT

ken wrote: »
    This may be a little perverse but I like to see a re-reg get under the radar, get back into the groove and then a few months down the line BAM banned.

How long are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Callipo

THT wrote: »
    How long are we talking?

Longer than your time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

THT wrote: »
    How long are we talking?
    Longer than someone lasts if they register 3 separate accounts within 15 minutes, if you get my drift, THT. Fare thee be warned.

Advertisement