Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Half Marathon

Options
  • 18-08-2013 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

This might be useful as preparation for the Dublin city marathon. Its on Saturday, September 7th. www.thecatrun.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

passes my parents' house. Tough enough course. I'd consider it only I'm entered the Dublin half. Pity. Maybe next year. Very fancy website and really cool maps:cool: Very impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

I've signed up for this today - don't think I'll go at it full tilt but good run to blow out the cobwebs before Charleville. Is this the run that was cancelled last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Beef wrote: »
    I've signed up for this today - don't think I'll go at it full tilt but good run to blow out the cobwebs before Charleville. Is this the run that was cancelled last year?

Nope, this one is organised by O'loughlins GAA. Last year it was a commercial company.

Route is slightly different to the last Half in Kilkenny 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

I'm still trying to decide on this half or the Dublin half. I should really make my mind up :o

I really enjoyed the Kilkenny half three years ago, is any of this run on the same roads?

RubyK wrote: »
    I'm still trying to decide on this half or the Dublin half. I should really make my mind up :o

I really enjoyed the Kilkenny half three years ago, is any of this run on the same roads?

Yep about 50% of it is on the same roads. It would be best described and an interesting scenic countryside route. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Ok, just looked at the online map and profile. Miles 3-5 look interesting :eek:, but it seems like a grand course from mile 5 onwards :)view_route_elevation?route_id=228052191&consumer_key=b513571b80685c74fa95b7755d916c24048889df4&graph_border_color=FFFFFF&graph_background_color=FFFFFF&graph_color=DB0B0E&graph_shadow_color=FFFFFF&schema=custom&shadow_levels=0&foreground_levels=0&width=595&height=175.0&units=imperial

I can only see half the website with the bloody content filtering in work so I don't even know how I managed to enter it! I'm not too bothered about a PB or anything - but a good tough run 2 weeks out from my goal race would be perfect.

Also, it's on a Saturday, which makes things a whole lot easier for me. There are so few Saturday races about that this one stuck out for me. The only killer is that I'm supporting Kilkenny GAA which is a big no no for a Tipp man. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Good to see a half local to myself, shame i can't enter as I have other commitments :(

Doing the Carlow/Kilkenny Marathon on the 22nd instead though

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Only a week to go...the deadline for entering this is the 5th of Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

mick kk wrote: »
    Only a week to go...the deadline for entering this is the 5th of Sept.

As far as I know you can enter on The day......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Cabaal wrote: »
    Good to see a half local to myself, shame i can't enter as I have other commitments :(

Doing the Carlow/Kilkenny Marathon on the 22nd instead though

What's that Carlow/Kilkenny marathon? What's the route? Haven't heard anything about it.

Registration was painless and there seems to be a good few about. A lot of people look like they're doing the 10 k though. Windy and wet... Lovely!

Best of luck all. Might see ye on route later. Enjoy the climb at johnswell! ;)

Glad I wasn't racing that! Tough course, but a good training run for charleville. The finish was nuts though! Probably the only race where you're treated to a lap of a hurling field (wet grass) for the last third of a mile. :D

Well run enough though although the 2 hr pacer shouldn't give up the day job. He was averaging 8:40 pace when I passed him at about 6.5 miles and there was only 1 with him, he must have burned off the people who went with him from the start. :)

Beef wrote: »
    Glad I wasn't racing that! Tough course, but a good training run for charleville. The finish was nuts though! Probably the only race where you're treated to a lap of a hurling field (wet grass) for the last third of a mile. :D

Well run enough though although the 2 hr pacer shouldn't give up the day job. He was averaging 8:40 pace when I passed him at about 6.5 miles and there was only 1 with him, he must have burned off the people who went with him from the start. :)

Was over there earlier. Real kick in the nuts arriving in the gates realising you have to run all the way around! Blustery and damp too. I got a good kick out of the 1:30 pacer sprinting to the line for a 1:27 finish! :D 1:45 lad was bang on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭babalobioddy

Really enjoyed the race today, the course was grand nice mix of hills, very little traffic to worry about and not too hot. I ended up getting a p.b . so all in all a great day, and I will def be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Did the half yesterday. Wasn't looking forward to it because of the weather and hills. Turned out the hills weren't too bad (although my legs are disagreeing this morning) and the drizzle was a god send. Would imagine in the heat that it would be very very tough. Plenty of stewards offering encouragement all the way around too. Nice touch with the lap at the end. Broke my heart when I saw it. Still got through it in a decent pace. Really enjoyed the course and will defo do it again. Prob prefer a t shirt to a cap but doesn't really matter. Well done and thanks to everyone involved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

blockic wrote: »
    Was over there earlier. Real kick in the nuts arriving in the gates realising you have to run all the way around! Blustery and damp too. I got a good kick out of the 1:30 pacer sprinting to the line for a 1:27 finish! :D 1:45 lad was bang on though.

Plenty of pluses to it. Also a few minuses. Asked to pace at last minute when I was meant to race. Did 1.45 but kinda regretted not racing it as top end wasn't loaded. Suppose when winners get crystal it's to be expected. Chsllenging course but not bad ....

Advertisement