Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** CAO Offers - the OFFICIAL waiting thread - LINK to Points list in FIRST POST ***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Got applied languages in UL wooooooop! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭Aeternum

Lads im in a heap of sh*te here, I hop ye can help me. I got accepted into my course this morning.Also my friend, after missing out on they're top choices, got the same course as me. The problem is I REALLY don't want to go to the same college as this person. I'd prefer not to get into detail but basically they have been dragging me down since national school and I can't deal with them for another 3/4 years.

I haven't accepted my course yet,but what I'm wondering is if I reject my course (2nd choice) now,is there a chance of me my 4th choice as I missed out on my 3rd??
    Please help me

No there's not, if you reject an offer you cannot move down the way in order of preference at all, only up. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Lads im in a heap of sh*te here, I hop ye can help me. I got accepted into my course this morning.Also my friend, after missing out on they're top choices, got the same course as me. The problem is I REALLY don't want to go to the same college as this person. I'd prefer not to get into detail but basically they have been dragging me down since national school and I can't deal with them for another 3/4 years.

I haven't accepted my course yet,but what I'm wondering is if I reject my course (2nd choice) now,is there a chance of me my 4th choice as I missed out on my 3rd??
    Please help me

NO. There is no chance at all (as in 0% chance) you will be offered your third or fourth choices in further rounds if you just got offered your second. The only thing you can get offered in the second round is your first choice.

I completely understand where you are coming from. But, I would advise you to accept the course you were offered. You can always transfer after four weeks if you present your case well enough to your institution (I think you'll have to come up with a better excuse than your friend, though.) People can and do transfer once they meet the requirements and have the points for the course they want to transfer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Please help me

How much did you miss out on your first choice by? I think you should accept this offer and just drift from them in college, easier said than done, I know, but there'll be far more people to mingle with. You were offered your second, in the CAO handbook is says that there is no chance of you being offered any of your lower choices, they're immediately wiped from the system. You'll still get a second round offer, if your first choice hasn't been filled already. Good luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 furrypaws

Did anyone go for arts with HEAR in UCD? what points did you get in on if under the 340?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 cathal94

Hi,

My sister got her CAO offer today and she's so dissapointed. She got 475 points in her leaving cert and today she got an offer for General Nursing in UCD which was 430. But she had General Nursing at Trinity 1st on her list and it was 425 points.

She can't understand why this happened and neither can I. There was no astrix beside the points in the Irish times for General Nursing in Trinity so everyone that got the points offered a place.

So really we can understand how if she had Trinity ahead of UCD on her CAO list, if she had 50 points more than she needed, if everyone who got at least 425 got offered a place, what happened to her offer?

Would really appreciate some help here? Was there a mistake, can anyone relate or have we just missed something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

cathal94 wrote: »
    Hi,

My sister got her CAO offer today and she's so dissapointed. She got 475 points in her leaving cert and today she got an offer for General Nursing in UCD which was 430. But she had General Nursing at Trinity 1st on her list and it was 425 points.

She can't understand why this happened and neither can I. There was no astrix beside the points in the Irish times for General Nursing in Trinity so everyone that got the points offered a place.

So really we can understand how if she had Trinity ahead of UCD on her CAO list, if she had 50 points more than she needed, if everyone who got at least 425 got offered a place, what happened to her offer?

Would really appreciate some help here? Was there a mistake, can anyone relate or have we just missed something?

That seems to be in order, so contact the CAO?
    Tel. +353-(0)91-509800

Hi,

Put it this way: it is highly unlikely it is a mistake given that this is a well-oiled machine that's been working for years. (But I'm sure it could happen.)

Has she met the course-specific requirements? General Nursing in TCD requires this:
    • An ordinary-level D3 in one of biology, physics, chemistry, physics/chemistry or agricultural science

and

• At least an ordinary-level D3 in maths

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭crow2

Hi,

Maybe she didn't pass some requirements, i.e. C1 in maths or something
    Idk what else could be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

Got Nursing in Trinity, sooooo happy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Poufsouffle

Flabangav wrote: »
    I'm in Veterinary Med too :D

Me too! See you in September :)

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Smiley Laura

sganyfx wrote: »
    I'll probably end up doing the Social Policy or Russian. I think me and you are pretty much the same applicant :P But yeah I'll be going Economics route. What are you hoping to do for a career?

I presume you got BESS too? :D Im actually not too sure where this course is going to leave me, I'd like to go into management, but I'm unsure what area. I'd consider accountancy too actually! Yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Physiotherapy in Trinity, delighted! :D

She passed the requirements listed on the website. Yeah we're gonna get in contact with the CAO as soon as possible.

She passed the requirements listed on the website. Yeah we're gonna get in contact with the CAO as soon as possible.

What's the course code?

There are two General Nursing courses in Trinity — one based in Meath Hospital and St. James's Hospital (TR091), and another at Adelaide School of Nursing (TR093). The one based at Adelaide School of Nursing has a # after it, which means it requires a separate test or interview. Which one did she have as her first choice, and if it was TR093, did she do a separate test or interview? In the case that she did, maybe she was excluded by the criteria from this test/interview? If it was TR091 that she applied to, then definitely get on to the CAO ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 whateverusay

Flabangav wrote: »
    I'm in Veterinary Med too :D

Yayyyyyy!!! So excited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I'm now a UCD Engineering student...they seem hard to come by here! :D

No she never applied for the Adelaide one. She applied for TR091. I do think there has to of been a mistake, but I've never really heard of mistakes on CAO before, on the LC yeah but not CAO. We'll try and get in contact as soon as yeah

Yeah she made all the course requirements. I know it's unlikely, but we just can figure out why she wasn't offered a place then?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

I presume you got BESS too? :D Im actually not too sure where this course is going to leave me, I'd like to go into management, but I'm unsure what area. I'd consider accountancy too actually! Yourself?

I am indeed :D I'm going for the fund/investment banking route hopefully. Congratulations.

• Advertisement

Yeah she made all the course requirements. I know it's unlikely, but we just can figure out why she wasn't offered a place then?

You'll have to wait until 09.30, I think.

You'd bloody fücking think that they'd open at 06.00 on the offers days, wouldn't you? I bet they've one person manning the phones, too, when really you'd probably need a call centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭phish

Are you positive she has all of these?

A grade D on the ordinary or higher paper in mathematics and in one of biology, physics, chemistry, physics/chemistry or agricultural science.

Additional requirements

Matriculation requirements: Irish Leaving Certificate

To be considered for admission to the University you must:

Present six subjects, three of which must be at grade C or above on higher Leaving Certificate papers.

The six subjects above must include:

A pass in English.

A pass in mathematics (or foundation-level mathematics (see note 2)) and a pass in a language other than English
    OR
    A pass in Latin and a pass in a subject other than a language.

Notes:

1 A pass means grade D or above on ordinary or higher papers in the Leaving Certificate.

2 Irish and Maths at foundation-level is not acceptable for matriculation, course requirements or for scoring purposes.

3 Students may combine grades achieved in different sittings of their Leaving Certificate/Matriculation examinations for the purpose of satisfying matriculation and/or course requirements, but not for the purposes of scoring.

4 Combinations of Leaving Certificate subjects not permitted:

Physics/chemistry may not be presented with physics or chemistry.

Biology and agricultural science may both be used for scoring purposes but biology may not be presented with agricultural science as the two higher level subjects required for Dental science, Earth sciences, Medicine, Medicinal chemistry, Physiotherapy or Science. In addition, Biology and agricultural science may not be presented as two of the three HC3 (or above) grades required for matriculation purposes.

Art and music may not be offered as two of the three higher Leaving Certificate grades for matriculation purposes but both may be used for scoring purposes.

Age requirement
    Applicants seeking admission in 2013 must have a date of birth before 15 January 1997.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,707 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I'm 5 points out on Computing in DIT, it took a 25 point jump but I only had 20 to spare over last years final. Does anyone know how it works with re-checks, if I get a few of my subjects rechecked and get it over the 375, will I get a place?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 flabee113

**** sake at the computer science jump in UCC. 90 points =(

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Kenbob

Now a UCD law student..This is nice!

Yeah made all those requirements .100%

We're gonna call CAO now when it opens at half. Probably a nightmare to get through to someone though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Cork School of Music, here I come! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Who of my boardsies regulars are joining me in UCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭GrezzC

stetyrrell wrote: »
    I'm 5 points out on Computing in DIT, it took a 25 point jump but I only had 20 to spare over last years final. Does anyone know how it works with re-checks, if I get a few of my subjects rechecked and get it over the 375, will I get a place?

Yep, I think the way it works is you'll either get your place there and then but if the course is literally packed to the brim they'll offer you a place next year guaranteed at this year's points. I could be wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Booshmallow

Go can anyone answer me this please :)
    I got my first choice at 360, but only had 340. I'm eligable for HEAR but I haven't been told I got it through HEAR so how will I know if I did or not...? Thanks (:

Advertisement