Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I become a psychologist?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My career choices from my Leaving Cert were, teaching, journalism and psychology.

I'm currently going into my third year of a four year degree of English and World religions. My plan was to continue and do a H.Dip in education.
    But now I want to study psychology and become a clinical psychologist.
    Now I've decided that is the course for me, but now I don't know how to go about becoming a psychologist.
    I don't know weather to continue and become a teacher and then do psychology, or to just go straight into psychology as it's a long road.
    Can I do a H.Dip in psychology and then go on to do my Masters etc.
    My biggest thing is I don't want to waste time or money.
    I don't mind if the courses are in Ireland or England.

All in all, I want to know what H.Dip I should choose, how long it takes to become a Dr in clinical psychology.
    And what my options are as my Degree is not linked to psychology at all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

Unless you want to become an educational psychologist, rather than a clinical psychologist, there would really be no point in continuing down the education route first.

In order to be eligible for clinical psychology courses, you would need to do a HDip first, something like the one in TCD: http://psychology.tcd.ie/postgraduate/h-dip/
    There are equivalents offered in the UK as well. Then you'd be looking at three years full-time to qualify as a clinical psychologist.

I'm not sure what the situation is now, but when I was doing my psych undergrad ten years ago, clinical was extremely competitive. A number of people in my class went to the UK to do masters in clinical psychology (this would be on top of your HDip) in order to improve their chances of getting a place.

Back then (and I can't imagine it will have changed too much) relevant work experience was important, too - mainly working with people with intellectual disabilities. There aren't many Psychology Assistant posts in Ireland, but they do exist in the UK, and might be worth following up to get a feel for the work and make sure that it really is the route you would like to go down. It is a long haul, after all!

Hope this helps.

PS: That sounds like a lot, I'm not trying to put you off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Miss Informed

I'm in the same boat, degree in sociology & philosophy, and I wish I'd taken the psychology path instead... It looks like the H.Dip path is the fastest way alright. Two years, then a masters. The HDip is two years, which is a lot nicer than a four year degree, so your undergrad is helpful you in that sense at least.

I'm confused as to what happens after the HDip though. I don't really know the different career paths within psychology. Can you work after the MA or do you need a PhD? As far as I can see, a PhD is necessary for clinical practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭innad

It really depends on what area of psychology you're interested in. If it's counselling or clinical psychology, then yeah, the doctorates in counselling or clinical are probably your only options. There are several other areas of psychology where a masters is enough though - such as organisational psychology. A good few people from my year went down this route. Have a look on the PSI and BPS websites - they both have psychology career sections that will give you a good overview of what your options are after the HDip.

Advertisement