Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you read the CAO handbook?

• 18-08-2013 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭

I didn't.

Did you read the CAO handbook? 31 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    38%
    FadMonsieur Folie[Deleted User]kingcobraray2012Whatsernamex33hitchcockkmf2012peekachooniallmolCorvo AttanoKa_yl_ei_gh 12 votes
    I glanced through it
    61%
    SuperSean11SeanyboyQPRProdigiousjohneugeneTommyrawrsganyfxyournerdfrozenfrozenNegativeCreepN64wendydolluser.nameVito CorleoneJade.navosaDropping No Eavessaltyjack silverblade[Deleted User]JackCreagh 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I didn't.
    Banned! :mad:

Seriously, it gets my goat that people will spend 2 years swotting for LC and not at least skim the CAO handbook for half an hour (you don't need to learn it off, like! :P)

They give themselves so much extra stress for nothing so often, not to mention that some do the stupidest things because they don't understand the basics of the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

I did :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭Dropping No Eaves

I glanced through it
    No, I like to live dangerously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

No
    Jaysus, it takes less than 30 minutes to read through it and understand. I don't understand how people can't understand the CAO system after 2 years. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

As bad as some people's questions can be, I always remind myself it could be worse... for example they could be asking why colleges set the points so high. :rolleyes: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I glanced through it
    I'm not going to be oppressed by some book.

Canard wrote: »
    As bad as some people's questions can be, I always remind myself it could be worse... for example they could be asking why colleges set the points so high. :rolleyes: :pac:
    They do!!! :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

No
    I did. I even read the parts for fetac and such. It passed the boring career classes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They do!!! :(:(

And tomorrow, they will again, along with saying they really want their fourth choice now, but got their first.
    It makes my head hurt.

No
    I'm just glad to know I can move down my list to the course I really want rather than my first choice that I put on to please my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

I glanced through it
    I put my choice in order of points, that way if I get my number one but don't want it I can choose one of my lower choices instead.

spurious wrote: »
    And tomorrow, they will again, along with saying they really want their fourth choice now, but got their first.
    I don't mind them saying it, people will have second thoughts, it's when they think they can make it happen!! >.<
    spurious wrote: »
    It makes my head hurt.
    Infinitely! :(
    I'm just glad to know I can move down my list to the course I really want rather than my first choice that I put on to please my parents.
    Shut up shut up shut up shut up!!!! :mad:
    I put my choice in order of points, that way if I get my number one but don't want it I can choose one of my lower choices instead.
    Shut up shut up shut up shut up!!!! :mad: :(:(

/runs away screaming

No
    A little birdie told me that if I call CAO between 6:04 and 6:07 using a phonebooth and a thick russian accent they will change my first choice to something else if a transfer 50 euro to an off shore account in the Carribean.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Looking at the results of the poll, I think it's safe to say yous will be answering a lot of 'How do I reject my first choice for my second choice' questions tomorrow.
    /runs away screaming

Already? Hasn't even started yet :D

No
    Alot.

Dont worry. Randy has trained us well. While we cant bring down the iron fist of justice on the threads we can at least do some of the talking.

We stand ready.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgXkxx_mRp3ZJB6v5VutOHo-MsfFakpKuoh3pSR9FO5pyV4irO

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Looking at the results of the poll, I think it's safe to say yous will be answering a lot of 'How do I reject my first choice for my second choice' questions tomorrow.
    :D

In fairness some people have good guidance counsellors who drum it in (and they listen to them) ... It's the one who neither read not listen get caught out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Jade.

I glanced through it
    I've seen so many people today ask will they be offered all the courses they've enough points for and choose the one you want :rolleyes: Safe to say they definitley didn't read it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,671 ✭✭✭✭Daniel7740

I had a decent flick through it in irish, then started turning someones bag inside out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

There was a handbook? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I actually read the handbook and fully understood that i could not choose my second choice but now as time has passed i want my second choice ;( i know i'm an idiot but i still want to blame the cao :P

• Advertisement

aimzLc2 wrote: »
    I actually read the handbook and fully understood that i could not choose my second choice but now as time has passed i want my second choice ;( i know i'm an idiot but i still want to blame the cao :P
    Actually, changing your mind doesn't make you an idiot.

Missing the course you want because you didn't bother to understand the system in the first place would have made you an idiot IF you had done that.

This more falls into the bad luck category; nothing you or anyone can do about it, and it's frustrating, but that's kinda the way life goes sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭johneugene

I glanced through it
    No I didn't because I didn't get it or my online pin. My school is so bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,320 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Nah. I'll watch the movie when it comes out.

:p

No
    johneugene wrote: »

What?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

endacl wrote: »
    Nah. I'll watch the movie when it comes out.

:p

Back to AH you :p:pac:

johneugene wrote: »
    It's online on the CAO site.

There's even a link in the sticky at the top of this forum.

No
    "But I put course Y as my 9th choice because there was no way I was going to get them points and now the course dropped by 60 points and I could get in! Can I just ring CAO and ask them to change it?"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSfc8kvP9wgNahV_4xfd9yEKcu0zQm6ieiRqiZXb0-nqB1mSh7O

Advertisement