Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014: pre, pre swim training

Options
  • 18-08-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have been cycling and running for a number of years now with various degrees of failure, I'm slow but confident in both these disciplines. I have a plan in place to improve these to a more respectable level for next year when I want to start competing in triathlons.
    I am going to join a tri club next January but I want to hit the ground running and be at least confident if not have a base level of competency in the three disciplines by then.

However my problem is I have never paid much attention to swimming as a sport, its not like one can 'play' swimming. I wouldn't ring up a buddy off the cuff and enquire if they wanted to meet up after work for a 'game' of swimming.
    Because of this complete ignorance in the finer points of swimming my current knowledge consists off...
    1: Keep moving legs/arms to stop sinking
    2: Don't take a breath when facing down
    Other than that I have no idea how to go about starting to pick up the basics. Being honest I have tried to enter the world of tri twice before but my bemusement with the swim meant I withdrew from it and went for a cycle instead.

My current plan is to get swim lessons sorted so I'll have some skill developed before exposing myself in January to that sting of being a newbie again where everyone looks at you like you just got off the bus from Fredsville. Trouble is to even get to this stage I would like to have a few hours clocked in the pool first so I can get the most from the lessons.

I can do a few lengths without too much complaining so i guess my question is where do I start?

Sit tight and wait for the lessons to start in a few weeks for the swim instructor to give direction and drills?
    Is it go hell for leather doing free style pool length repeats to build up swim fitness and then use the lessons to structure and improve stroke and breathing?
    I surf/ body body board badly so I am comfortable faffing about in ow and understand rips etc, is it worth the effort putting time into ow swimming at this stage?

Thanks for reading, any feedback or random tips would be greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Can I ask why you're waiting till January to join a club? Most clubs you should be able to join at this time of the year without actually paying a years membership.

You can't really explain how to swim using words. Maybe watch some videos on youtube...IMO I'd get to tri club swim sessions ASAP, I know ours tend to be fairly dead at this time of year so there's no better time for a beginner or weak swimmer as they'll get more one on one attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

You could do worse than spending some time taking a look at www.swimsmooth.com - there's a lot of good stuff on this site for novices to elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Hi RacoonQueen thanks a mill for the reply, Jan because of thats when the tri licence is issued.
    The clubs website states that the licence is required for activities. It also indicates that the swim groups (pool) are full. there is an ow option but I dont think i have the skill to jump in there yet. However your post has got me thinking and I will make contact with the club to see if they have beginner groups during the autum.

@griffen100, thanks for the link I'll burn through it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Can I ask why you're waiting till January to join a club? Most clubs you should be able to join at this time of the year without actually paying a years membership.
    Is this true?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Is this true?

When I joined my club, November maybe it was a couple of years ago I didn't have to pay for the rest of that year. Just membership for the following year gave me membership for the following year. Dunno if thats changed.

• Advertisement

I will certainly make contact and check to see what they do. The cost of club and licence would be about €70 with a non competitive licence, it would be a waste if they have no beginners group at this time of the year.

@griffen100 that site is great, just what I was looking for, clear basic info. thanks for that.

Re ow swimming. I know for many it can be a big thing to swim out of the pool, is this simply because of the task at hand (a 1500m swim for example) or is it because some just are not used to the movement, taste, temp, depth etc of ow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Pool and OW swimming are almost different sports. Pool conditions are consistent - bright, loads of room, easy to sight, warm water, etc. Every OW swim is different - weather, water temp, crowding, visibility, current, buoyancy, etc etc. If you are new to swimming then OW can be very intimidating.

Then, I look forward to being intimidated and kicking my ass into shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

September/October is the best time to join a club. There'll be lots of swim technique work covered in the off season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Jan because of thats when the tri licence is issued.

I bought my Tri Ireland 2013 membership in October 2012. Seems to have been available from 1 October last year. You could also join our club for 2013 from that date.

No excuses :D

• Advertisement

But without excuses how am I to continue to procrastinate...?

I have a mail shot off to them and T.I. this morn so I'll see what they say back.

Advertisement