Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway pubs relegating the Hurling over soccer

Options
  • 18-08-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Was in a hotel pub in Eyre Square today which has a big projector screen in good time for the All Ireland Semi final today, when I discovered that some sky sports game was taking preference over our national sport;
    the hurling being relegated to the small screen.

Am I in a minority that thinks the Hurling Semi Finals should take preference over a Hull soccer match?

Even Roy Keane was watching the hurling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Too effin right! I watch both but Hurling is ten times better than soccer.Greatest game in the world and should be promoted as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Each pub to their own. There's plenty around that would have been showing the hurling on the 'main' screen. You wouldn't catch me watching Hull Chelsea over an AI semi :)

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Obviously the GAA can't compete with the Sky mass marketing machine but surely people could cotton on that a hurling semi final match vastly outthrills any soccer game, especially one containing HULL!

The power of marketing & hype over substance:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's all a matter of opinion isn't it?
    I'd be fighting for Sky Sports in my house when Dad would be fighting for RTE for the hurling. (I do love hurling too by the way...)

I'm sure the publicans know their audience and you just weren't in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dave Van Ronk

Whats a good Galway pub for the hurling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Central?

Sport schmort.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The Central?

Sport schmort.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Obviously the GAA can't compete with the Sky mass marketing machine but surely people could cotton on that a hurling semi final match vastly outthrills any soccer game, especially one containing HULL!

The power of marketing & hype over substance:rolleyes:
    If only the hurling championship had some class of blue chip sponsor, marketing budget of their own and a pliant national broadcaster...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Am I in a minority that thinks the Hurling Semi Finals should take preference over a Hull soccer match?

Seemingly in this hotel pub you were in the minority, but what did they say when you asked the staff about the other televised sports game?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Sport schmort.

Some pubs are rugby pubs, some are soccer pubs, some are GAA pubs, some are even motor-racing pubs. Some (thank jeebus) are no-television pubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

The Central?

Sport schmort.

Close! Think The Goalpost next door still has the GAA on the big screen. Not been there for a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Eeden wrote: »
    Some (thank jeebus) are no-television pubs!

Only 3 of those left in town as far as I know :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Total disgrace. Not too many countries in the world you would see that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,902 ✭✭✭gifted

Got the impression that Galway people didn't like hurling...thats based on your performances lately..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I don't understand how anyone could prefer soccer to hurling.

Hurling is a fast hard field game, played by amateurs.

In soccer you have overpaid prima donnas paid ridiculous money, who will fall writhing on the ground if you happen to brush against the TV set

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Was in a hotel pub in Eyre Square today which has a big projector screen in good time for the All Ireland Semi final today, when I discovered that some sky sports game was taking preference over our national sport;
    the hurling being relegated to the small screen.

Even Roy Keane was watching the hurling.

Never watch hurling in a pub, generally either at it or at home.

I'm assuming it was Fagans you were in (don't know if the skeff has a big screen), it's mainly a soccer pub. There are a few big matches that will be on the main screen and the neighbours in a hurling match that we could have been playing in (at in my case) isn't something one gernally wants to watch.

And if you are from clare/limerick wtf were you doing in a pub in Galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I was similarly disgusted during the Six Nations when Ireland were playing and some Spurs game was on instead. The pubs will put on whatever is more popular.

Which do you think should take precidence: An Irish international rugby match or a hurling semi-final? I personally couldn't give a toss about hurling so I'd be pissed off if that was on. The pubs can only try and keep the majority happy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

nuac wrote: »
    I don't understand how anyone could prefer soccer to hurling.

Hurling is a fast hard field game, played by amateurs.

In soccer you have overpaid prima donnas paid ridiculous money, who will fall writhing on the ground if you happen to brush against the TV set

Its the most popular sport in the world, just because some players are paid too much doesnt make it any less entertaining. Was in a couple of pubs in Salthill yesterday and football was on the big screen in both with the hurling on the small screens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

antoobrien wrote: »
    Never watch hurling in a pub, generally either at it or at home.

I'm assuming it was Fagans you were in (don't know if the skeff has a big screen), it's mainly a soccer pub. There are a few big matches that will be on the main screen and the neighbours in a hurling match that we could have been playing in (at in my case) isn't something one gernally wants to watch.

And if you are from clare/limerick wtf were you doing in a pub in Galway.

Because hurling is a far superior spectacle. Just look at the tv ratings for yesterday when they come out next week. A few hundred thousand will have watched the hurling. How many the soccer? Hull City?!

Also, plenty of Clare and Limerick people live in Galway. Maybe THAT's what they'd be doing on a pub in Galway.

Anyway, if Fagan's or whoever it was want to lose out by watching muck, no skin off my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Its a public house not a public service, if you don't like the services they are providing then go elsewhere, publicans are entitled to show whatever sport they want. Or should we be obliged to watch hurling only?

Hull OMG not Hull, they were playing Chelsea you know? plenty of Chelsea fans around, also Josés debut, I'm sure loads of people wanted to see that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

Total disgrace. Not too many countries in the world you would see that happen.

Why is it a disgrace? I'm sure there are plenty of other pubs showing the hurling? What about somebody who wanted to see the football but doesn't have sky sports and went to that bar too see it? The hurling was shown on rte which is available to everybody

kraggy wrote: »
    Because hurling is a far superior spectacle. Just look at the tv ratings for yesterday when they come out next week. A few hundred thousand will have watched the hurling. How many the soccer? Hull City?!

Also, plenty of Clare and Limerick people live in Galway. Maybe THAT's what they'd be doing on a pub in Galway.

Anyway, if Fagan's or whoever it was want to lose out by watching muck, no skin off my nose.

Eh, I'm sure the ratings would be somewhat skewed as Sky Sports is not available in every household...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Why is it a disgrace? I'm sure there are plenty of other pubs showing the hurling? What about somebody who wanted to see the football but doesn't have sky sports and went to that bar too see it? The hurling was shown on rte which is available to everybody

They had the football on the main screen...stick it on another telly instead of the main one.
    It's our national game! This is close to treason.

kraggy wrote: »

A far superior spectacle? Matter of opinion. Hurling Championship has in the main been pretty dismal for last number of years ( this year an exception), because Kilkenny were basically hammering everybody and the result was pretty much guaranteed before throw in. I think hurling is a great game but hate when GAA supporters knock football. Smacks of insecurity ( in my opinion)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Oh crap, someone, get on to the hyperbole police fast!

They had the football on the main screen...stick it on another telly instead of the main one.
    It's our national game! This is close to treason.

Good God

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

Hurling is our national Sport and one of the fastest games on grass. Soccer is a product marketed and force fed by Sky Sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I'm waiting for someone to refer to football as a garrison game.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

It was pretty lousy considering that the Hurling game is the second last live Game of the year, and well the soccer is on every Sunday until May/ June. Or "Super Sundays" as Sky tell the Consumers of their Product.

• Advertisement

Hurling is our national Sport and one of the fastest games on grass. Soccer is a product marketed and force fed by Sky Sports.

Soccer is fantastic sport also, this nonsense about marketing etc is well nonsense.

I love soccer and I love hurling and who is playing would greatly influence which I watch. If Galway seniors are playing I watch the hurling without question but if Liverpool are playing soccer I would watch that over any hurling match except one Galway were in. I feel as passionate about supporting Liverpool as Galway or Ireland, actually I would watch Liverpool over Ireland in soccer or rugby unless they were literally late stages if the World Cup in either sport of something like that.

Yesterday I watched the hurling, with a few flicks back and over to see how the soccer was going.

I would probably agree that yesterday they should have had the hurling on a big screen, but they shouldn't relegate the soccer to some small screen in the corner either as a lot of people might have come into watch it who don't have sky sports at home.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement