Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway pubs relegating the Hurling over soccer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

They had the football on the main screen...stick it on another telly instead of the main one.
    It's our national game! This is close to treason.

tumblr_mrqza1gP001r8cniio1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Have a friend in Galway who doesn't like hurling and doesn't like Rugby. He goes into Fagans for pretty much every Man Utd match. For a while, they relegated the soccer for Rugby. Supply and Demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Hurling is our national Sport

You do realise that is just meaningless guff that people come out with?
    and one of the fastest games on grass.

and that's great because... eh... fast is better? Golf is one of the slowest games on grass. Have you explained to any golfers why their sport is crap? because the speed of the game is all important?
    Soccer is a product marketed and force fed by Sky Sports.
    Have you ever heard of the World Cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Hurling is our national Sport and one of the fastest games on grass. Soccer is a product marketed and force fed by Sky Sports.

Is hurling not marketed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

Was in a hotel pub in Eyre Square today which has a big projector screen in good time for the All Ireland Semi final today, when I discovered that some sky sports game was taking preference over our national sport;
    the hurling being relegated to the small screen.

Am I in a minority that thinks the Hurling Semi Finals should take preference over a Hull soccer match?

Even Roy Keane was watching the hurling.
    Welcome to the EPL republic..!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Bobsleighing is the fastest sport on ice. Why isn't that on our TV's!?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

sport-graphics-2007_702030a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

if you walked into a pub in london and they had la liga on tv and there was a london derby on what would your reaction be??

if you walked into a pub in london and they had la liga on tv and there was a london derby on what would your reaction be??
    The English don't have an obsession with la liga , so its unlikely to happen

The English have been marketed there own league so??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

It was pretty lousy considering that the Hurling game is the second last live Game of the year, and well the soccer is on every Sunday until May/ June.

I know you'll just be delighted to realise that we then have the World Cup to look forward to! :pac:
    Or "Super Sundays" as Sky tell the Consumers of their Product.

Oh c'mon. There's plenty of room for all the sports out there. As a big GAA fan, I find this and "treason" remarks embarrassing tbh.

The English have been marketed there own league so??
    the EPL fans are the remnants of English rule in Ireland ,be different if people supported teams from all the leagues in Europe but its 90% EPL fans when it comes to soccer,that's just the way it is

Poor comparison. For a start limerick vs Clare is not a local derby match in Galway. If Galway were playing you can be sure they would have had it on the big screen.

Also the premier league is massive in Ireland (and English soccer has been long before sky), people would only have a passing interest in la liga in the UK.

Ok change the scenario to having NFL on the tv and a Manchester derby on.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Popularity is dictating what is on. The pubs want to sell alcohol. Whatever brings in a bigger crowd takes presidence. These comparisons are pointless

Again NFL is nowhere near as popular in the UK as the premier league is here.

Yesterday the premier league game wasn't an important one and the hurling was important. However if it was a Manchester Derby on yesterday I'd reckon more people in the pub would want to watch that than two counties other than Galway playing hurling.

The pubs will generally put the thing most people want on the big screen now as I said yesterday's game was a bit of a nothing one but most 4pm Sunday games are fairly big ones especially ones involving Man united, Liverpool who both have a massive following in Ireland.

There is also the fact that the hurling is on rte which means a higher proportion of people going to the pub may be doing so to watch the soccer as they may not have sky.

they dont have the product at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't think we'd ever have a Manchester Derby on a Sunday at 6 pm earliest.

This is such a silly argument.

The Bar is in Galway,Clare and Limerick were playing the Game.the probability of people from Clare or Limerick visiting Galway would be higher than say people from Hull, England or Chelsea, England.
    The Bar is in the Hospitality industry so it should gather to the bigger Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

The Bar is in Galway,Clare and Limerick were playing the Game.the probability of people from Clare or Limerick visiting Galway would be higher than say people from Hull, England or Chelsea, England.
    The Bar is in the Hospitality industry so it should gather to the bigger Market.

Sorry but the bigger market in the "sports" bars is not a clare v limerick hurling match. The reason is fairly simple, the soccer is not free to air, so people will go out to see it, where many people will prefer to watch the hurling at home - especially if their county is not involved.

I've been in fagans & foxes (before they closed) plenty of times the only time soccer gets put off is for very big matches - Heineken cup/6 nations rugby or Galway (senior) matches.

I wasn't in town, but I wouldn't expect the minor mathc to have been on the main screen, especailly as

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

It did.

Irish people like English football [shocker], build a bridge and get over it or jump the fuck off.

It did.

Irish people like English football [shocker], build a bridge and get over it or jump the **** off.

Irish People choose to consume English Soccer and not even support there own local district leagues.

How many of those insufferable people who go on about Rooney/Suarez actually even go to local games?

Therefore it is a product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

How many of those insufferable people who go on about Rooney/Suarez actually even go to local games?

I don't, I can only watch soccer in a pub. If I'm at home it gets knocked off after 5 minutes.

Then again the last time I went out to a bar to watch a hurling or gaelic match was the 2000 football final replay.

antoobrien wrote: »
    I don't, I can only watch soccer in a pub. If I'm at home it gets knocked off after 5 minutes.

Then again the last time I went out to a bar to watch a hurling or gaelic match was the 2000 football final replay.
    Hiw many of these so called EPL suppoerters actually go to an EPL match

5% of Man Utd. fans have been to old trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Ludikrus

What really bugs me is when the sports bulletin on RTE news starts with mickey mouse GAA results/highlights on a day when there are big international sports stories in athletics, rugby, soccer, etc. I don't understand why they can't put the stick-and-ball stuff on TG4.

5% of Man Utd. fans have been to old trafford.
    Didn't think it was that high,same as Liverpool I would say judging by their fans mannequinesque performance at the Aviva

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'll have to get the cumann out soon if we can't steer this back to something Galway related.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is not about soccer in general or and any league/player.
    It's about local pubs showing soccer on the main screen and the hurling on the smaller screens.
    Please stay on topic.

• Advertisement

The bigger market was almost certainly the soccer match.

Irish People choose to consume English Soccer and not even support there own local district leagues.

Therefore it is a product.

Irish people chose to watch one of the greatest games in the world being played in probably the best league in the world. Would you ever give up with your "its a product" nonsense. Its a sport that people enjoy watching, whats your problem with this.

I have no interest in the league of Ireland so I don't go. I go to the vast majority of Galway senior hurling and football matches every year and I try to go over to Liverpool once or twice a year to watch them play. I'd love to go more often but its fairly expensive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement