Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway pubs relegating the Hurling over soccer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

First round of Soccer or Penultimate live Hurling game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

LOL

Its an expensive product

Its an expensive product

The flights, accommodation and drinking are expensive. Tickets aren't a whole lot more expensive than a ticket for croke park. A day out at a GAA game isn't exactly cheap either, I've spent a fair bit of money following Galway this year.

You "product" nonsense is getting stupid at this stage. People suported english teams long before sky or any of that was ever heard of. Whats your problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Hiw many of these so called EPL suppoerters actually go to an EPL match

How many of them can afford it? It costs about €300 all told to get to a match (before we get to food and drink). Much easier to go to the pub to watch match, which if there is a bit of banter will be much more entertaining than freezing ones unmentionables off in either Drum, Fahy's Field or Eamonn Deacy Park.

I go to the odd match, but I go to as many of my club's hurling matches as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

antoobrien wrote: »
    How many of them can afford it? It costs about €300 all told to get to a match (before we get to food and drink). Much easier to go to the pub to watch match, which if there is a bit of banter will be much more entertaining than freezing ones unmentionables off in either Drum, Fahy's Field or Eamonn Deacy Park.

I go to the odd match, but I go to as many of my club's hurling matches as possible.
    cost a lot to watch a team in the pub all season long

cost a lot to watch a team in the pub all season long

If they're on every weekend, allowing for 3 drinks per game it'd be about the price of 1 trip to Liverpool (based on what it cost me last year including food & drink).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

igorbiscan wrote: »
    Too effin right! I watch both but Hurling is ten times better than soccer.Greatest game in the world and should be promoted as much as possible.

Isn't your username a former Liverpool player?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you don't like what the pub is showing then go to a different pub? Why would you expect every pub to show the exact same thing? I'm sure there was plenty of people around who wanted to watch the football.

If you don't like what the pub is showing then go to a different pub? Why would you expect every pub to show the exact same thing? I'm sure there was plenty of people around who wanted to watch the football.

Or like myself who would have been too depressed after watching Clare beat Galway to wonder what might have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its an expensive product

But €20 or €25 into Pearse stadium in January or February is a cheap product is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

But €20 or €25 into Pearse stadium in January or February is a cheap product is it?

Only the league final double headers in Croker in April would cost that much.

If you don't like what the pub is showing then go to a different pub?

This. I once worked in a pub in Galway, where certain locals loved the soaps. So they got control of one of the tvs every evening and from 7 til 9 you'd get the lot on from Fair City to Corrie to Emerdale :eek: Plenty of people would walk in, and walk straight back out! Be glad for tv free pubs folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Guys, instead of hinting that soccer is ruining our proud and long standing tradition of clashing the ash; how's about posting some recommendations of pubs that focus more on the national sports? No more sniping please to boot. It ain't nice to read.

My two cents about this has always been, that Galway is such a melting pot of nationalities and cultures, and soccer being a more prominent sport internationally, it stands to reason that pubs would give preference to showing these games.

With all the nationalities and cultures visiting, would it be better to show them our national games.
    Other wise they would think they were on holiday in Hull or Chelsea?

My two cents about this has always been, that Galway is such a melting pot of nationalities and cultures, and soccer being a more prominent sport internationally, it stands to reason that pubs would give preference to showing these games.

Especially considering the last census tells us that 1/4 of the city population were not born in Ireland, so may not be looking for the "traditional" games.

But seriously why are we surprised about this?

Off the top of my head there are 6 hurling - Castlegar, Liam Mellowes, Menlo Emmets, Rahoon-Newcastle, Salthill, St Columbas (mervue/renmore) and five football clubs (Eire Og, Fr Griffins, St James, St Michaels & Salthill Knocknara) in the city.

As surprising as it may seem to some, there are more soccer clubs in Galway than either hurling or football: Corrib Rangers, Knocknacara, East Utd, Galway Bohs, Galway Hibs, West Utd, Our Lady's Boys Club (OLBC), Mervue Utd, Renmore, Salthill Devon.

With all the nationalities and cultures visiting, would it be better to show them our national games.
    Other wise they would think they were on holiday in Hull or Chelsea?

Its better to show what the majority of people want to watch.

It was the second last day of live hurling on tv. and the first of a long season of soccer .am i right that the teams play again later in the year?

It was the second last day of live hurling on tv. and the first of a long season of soccer .am i right that the teams play again later in the year?

I wasn't there so I don't know how many were there to watch what but at the end of the day if there were enough people packed into the corner watching the hurling and only a few watching the soccer they would have changed it I'm sure so there must have been a good crowd watching the soccer and not that many watching the hurling.

From my experience (and I go to pubs a lot) people don't go out to watch GAA games in general while a lot go out to watch soccer matches. The fact it was chelsea rather than Man united or Liverpool would lessen the amount of people wanting to watch the soccer but there was still probably a high proportion wanting to watch the soccer. I'm not saying the hurling should not have been on the big screen this was down to the pub, they also did have the hurling on and I'm sure there were other pubs with the hurling on more prominently

The fact it was the second last game makes no difference to a person who has either no interest in hurling or a person who loses interest after their own county has been knocked out of which there are a lot. I watched the hurling myself at home.

I dont think you realise how popular the premier league is in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,893 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The first game of the season. New manager in. New players in. The first day of the premier league will bring in a lot of people to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I don't think anyone is doubting the popularity of soccer.
    IMO it's pretty sad that you can walk into a pub in Galway during an All Ireland hurling match and see Premier League soccer as the central focus. It's the same as pubs blaring Sky News all day or the amount of international/UK chain stores in the city centre.
    The city loses it's unique identity and just follows the same bland corporate path of the western world.
    Go to the pub to watch Chelsea, grab a big mac after and stop off at Boots....you could be in any town in Britain!

• Advertisement

exactly,it was the second last day of live hurling and the start of hundreds of soccer games.

exactly,it was the second last day of live hurling and the start of hundreds of soccer games.

There was a game on that f**k all people were interested in. For Galway hurling fans being told we've to watch clare limerick over lunch/pints would be a bit like being told we'd have to watch cricket (not exactly appetising).

get the viewer ratings nationally for sunday and you will see that more people tuned in to watch the hurling than the soccer.

get the viewer ratings nationally for sunday and you will see that more people tuned in to watch the hurling than the soccer.

Considering the penetration of sky sports vs rte 2, that would not surpise me in the least.

It doesn't make a valid argument for why a pub in galway should be showing a match that apparently only the o.p. wanted to see.

hurling is one of our national games,if an english tourist walked in to find soccer on.would they think they were at home? yes.
    if you walked into an english pub last week while the ashes cricket was on found the pub showing baseball or some other sport. would you find it strange too?
    the whole winter and spring, soccer will be on tv.

hurling is one of our national games

So what? The match held little/no interest to most Galway people, hurling fans or not.
    if an english tourist walked in to find soccer on.would they think they were at home? yes.

Take your head out of the sand, they wouldn't. Enlgish tourists are used to see seeing premier league soccer on TV when abroad, as it is one of the most watched sports in the world.
    if you walked into an english pub last week while the ashes cricket was on found the pub showing baseball or some other sport. would you find it strange too?

That would very much depend on the pub. The likelihood is not because baseball would not be on while the ashes were on live.
    the whole winter and spring, soccer will be on tv.

That's still not a valid reason for having a match on that apparently very few people wanted to see.

Can you actually give us a good reason as toi why a pub would be so stupid as to turn away their customer base - soccer fans - for such a match?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

hurling is one of our national games

Yes it is - but that doesn't mean we are forced to like it (for instance, I have a strong disliking of most of our national dishes)
    if an english tourist walked in to find soccer on.would they think they were at home? yes.

No, of course not - what a ridiculous argument to put forward.

Yes, as baseball is not in anyway popular in the UK, football is incredibly popular here though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Let's be honest, I'd say the problem for some GAA supporters is purely that it's an English game, not that it's merely a foreign sport like baseball.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I don't think anyone is doubting the popularity of soccer.
    IMO it's pretty sad that you can walk into a pub in Galway during an All Ireland hurling match and see Premier League soccer as the central focus. It's the same as pubs blaring Sky News all day or the amount of international/UK chain stores in the city centre.
    The city loses it's unique identity and just follows the same bland corporate path of the western world.
    Go to the pub to watch Chelsea, grab a big mac after and stop off at Boots....you could be in any town in Britain!

Im assuming you would prefer a town centre with independent Irish stores with a handful of staff struggling throughout the year, never mind the lack of jobs or choice for consumers, its called capitalism, get used to it.

• Advertisement

check the ratings when they come out.
    change the baseball to a non english sporting event so for the example.
    i guarantee you if you walked in to an english pub last week they would have the ashes cricket on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement