Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway pubs relegating the Hurling over soccer

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

check the ratings when they come out.

Nah, we're talking about what people wanted to watch in a hotel pub in galway, so national terrestrial ratings are entirely redundant.

change the baseball to a non english sporting event so for the example.

No point in doing that as your argument is fundamentally flawed, you cannot grasp that the pub only showed what people wanted to watch.
    i guarantee you if you walked in to an english pub last week they would have the ashes cricket on.

I'll have to take your word on that, if that's what was in demand then that's what was probably on.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

anncoates,
    its not a question of english or irish.
    its a question of timing and place,for example if you walked into an american bar with the second last game of NFL,baseball or ice hockey on tv.
    and ask them to switch over to the first game of english soccer,what would your answer be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

anncoates,
    its a question of timing and place,for example if you walked into an american bar with the second last game of NFL,baseball or ice hockey on tv.
    and ask them to switch over to the first game of english soccer,what would your answer be?

Depends on the pub.

As long as I could watch what I wanted somewhere I'd be happy enough.

pleasantco,
    the ratings are relevant they express the demand for one programme over the other.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

pleasantco,
    the ratings are relevant they express the demand for one programme over the other.

Not in the context of one pub in galway (the topic of this thread), the only ratings that matter there are those of what the majority in that pub wanted to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Two Tone from Limehouse

cost a lot to watch a team in the pub all season long

I take it your a Celtic fan?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Leaving aside comments on the massively hyped Sky coverage of the Ashes, why would any true Gael be watching the match in a pub like some kind of lowly barstooler soccer fan? You'd think there wasn't a massive and expensive marketing campaign along the lines of "nothing beats being there"...

Robbo,

just some examples.
    do the french take there own wine off the shelves and promote it with imported stuff?
    do the english take there own cheeses off the shelf and promote it with imported stuff?
    you may not be familiar with galway, but it has a lot of walking tourists.who before they come here don't anticipate to see hull vs. chelsea on tv. over our own games.a great opportunity to promote our own.we don't promote our own.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Robbo,

just some examples.
    do the french take there own wine off the shelves and promote it with imported stuff?
    do the english take there own cheeses off the shelf and promote it with imported stuff?
    you may not be familiar with galway, but it has a lot of walking tourists.who before they come here don't anticipate to see hull vs. chelsea on tv. over our own games.a great opportunity to promote our own.we don't promote our own.
    Walking tourists who come to a city to watch sport in a pub? **** me that's some specific market research you've done there; what secret off-the-books division of Bord Failte do you work in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Robbo,

just some examples.

We promote our own but we also give the customers what they want. If you walk into a certain pub they will knock off soccer & hurling to show rugby, because that is what the customers of said establishment expect.

I have to say though your argument that we don't promote our own is insulting to somebody like myself who attends my club's third team's matches.

DO you go to matches at all or just whine about a match that nobody in Galway really gave two f**ks about anyways.

• Advertisement

the irish pub is a recognized brand worldwide, tourists don't expect to see hull vs. chelsea take preference over a national game.
    its like walking into an italian restaraunt in rome and finding a guinness and beef pie on the menu.
    i would surprised,would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

anncoates,

Are you serious?!?! Of course if I asked to put on a United game in an American bar in NY they would more than likely say no or maybe put it on a small TV down in the corner.

Why??? because if it was a typical American bar the vast majority of people there would want to watch the NFL. Just like here if you go to a sports bar in Galway on a Sunday afternoon during the PL season the main sport being shown will be the most popular one which like it or not is football.

the irish pub is a recognized brand worldwide, tourists don't expect to see hull vs. chelsea take preference over a national game.

Yes they do, especially when it's advertised out at the door, as is the case with many of the pubs, not just in Galway but across the world.

Nobody wanted to watch clare v limerick, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Bottom line, soccer is more popular in this country than GAA ever will be.

s-carnage,

i have no doubt if i went in on a winter sunday what would be on.
    it was the second last live hurling game and the first of hundreds of soccer games.
    we dont promote our own enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

igorbiscan wrote: »
    Too effin right! I watch both but Hurling is ten times better than soccer.Greatest game in the world and should be promoted as much as possible.

Man with football player username buries football here

starscream,

are you talking about participation or consuming a product.
    two different things,the marketing hacks would let you think otherwise though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

GAA = boring.

Football = the greatest game on earth.

This is why it happened....simples!

its like walking into an italian restaraunt in rome and finding a guinness and beef pie on the menu.
    i would surprised,would you?

An Irish pub in Madrid isn't the same as every Irish pub in Ireland. Do you expect every Irish pub in Ireland to have Irish ballads on the speakers with a U2 covers band about to kick off at 9. I would imagine there would be a huge amount of pub closures if they all decided to stop showing the PL as that is one of the reasons they get people through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

Grimebox wrote: »
    I was similarly disgusted during the Six Nations when Ireland were playing and some Spurs game was on instead. The pubs will put on whatever is more popular. ...

The cheek of the b******ds. Imagine that - a publican putting on whatever is wanted by the majority of his customers! Its an outrage!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Was in a hotel pub in Eyre Square today which has a big projector screen in good time for the All Ireland Semi final today, when I discovered that some sky sports game was taking preference over our national sport;
    the hurling being relegated to the small screen.

Am I in a minority that thinks the Hurling Semi Finals should take preference over a Hull soccer match?

Even Roy Keane was watching the hurling.

Id imagine the soccer was requested by the regulars,but dont worry galway is galway the gaa will always be on 95% of your big screens.

God i love galway. its genuinely magical on a weekend night!! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

I take it your a Celtic fan?
    Correct

starscream,

are you talking about participation or consuming a product.
    two different things,the marketing hacks would let you think otherwise though.

Well both really, soccer is on tv morning noon and night 12 months of the year, marketed to hell, it's hard to avoid. Having said that I love the game.
    I've never been into GAA a whole lot but from taking only a casual interest in it from time to time it's easy to see the gulf in difference in both.
    Participation wise, soccer again always seemed to be e more popular choice, maybe it's the the lads I grew up with, but throughout school college and into adulthood I always got the impression soccer has higher participation levels.

s-carnege,

let me use another example here,if you walked into a spanish pub in madrid and a semi final of the spanish cup was on(the second last live game of the year).yet the bar was showing a french,german or belgian game.
    you would find it strange? i would be asking why don't they like there own?

deadeye187 wrote: »
    GAA = boring.

Football = the greatest game on earth.

This is why it happened....simples!

That's just a backwards view. Just because you mightn't like a sport doesn't mean you have to come out with crap like that.

s-carnege,

let me use another example here,if you walked into a spanish pub in madrid and a semi final of the spanish cup was on(the second last live game of the year).yet the bar was showing a french,german or belgian game.

If it was an athletico pub & real were playing or vice versa, not at all.

One must get over the fact that pubs will put one whatever it is that their customers expect.

This shouldn't be turning into GAA vs soccer thread, simple economics, whatever the demand is, a publican or whoever is providing a service to earn a bit of dosh should put whatever is more popular on the box to keep his or her customers. GAA is great and all but it plays second fiddle to soccer, even in its home country.

starscream, have you seen the soccer facilities nationally vs. the gaa's ones?

This shouldn't be turning into GAA vs soccer thread, simple economics, whatever the demand is, a publican or whoever is providing a service to earn a bit of dosh should put whatever is more popular on the box to keep his or her customers. GAA is great and all but it plays second fiddle to soccer, even in its home country.

Not exactly true, GAA fans (that is real GAA fans) go to matches instead of whining about them not being on the TV in a soccer pub.

• Advertisement

s-carnege,

Yes I would find that strange and I also don't think that would ever happen. In this example though you are using football which is probably the most followed and played game on earth. But just say there was a Spanish sport, only played in Spain, on the TV like bull fighting (only one I can think of) and there was a French/German game on TV I wouldn't find that strange at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement