Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway pubs relegating the Hurling over soccer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

starscream, have you seen the soccer facilities nationally vs. the gaa's ones?

Both seem half decent bit I'm willing to be enlightened by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭onefourreal

anto,
    real soccer fans go to games and not just consume the sky product.

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not exactly true, GAA fans (that is real GAA fans) go to matches instead of whining about them not being on the TV in a soccer pub.

Well of course your entitled to your opinion but You can't paint everyone with the same brush, loads of 'real fans' as you say, from both sports often stay in to watch the game on the box in the comfort of their own home.

Most people go to games for different reasons, not just to see their team win, but it could be a family day out, a date or whatever or just for the fun of it,Mao not everyone who goes to games are 'real fans' as you say.

starscream,
    there quite poor, i would love to know if the money spent on the sky product was spent on the game here how better it would be for the participants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

For those who are citing examples in the US and the like, I presume you've never lived there or visited for a long period of time?

When I lived in the US, it was fairly easy to find bars that would be showing unimportant soccer matches instead of big baseball or NFL games. Why? Because every other bar is showing the baseball and NFL, they're creating a unique selling point that will allow them to hoover up all the soccer fans in the city.

It's completely blinkered thinking to believe that every single pub in the city should be showing the same event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭jh79

Whenever I put on the GAA , stadiums are barely half full apart from the finals or when Dublin are playing. I think the popularity of football / hurling is over stated.

starscream,
    there quite poor, i would love to know if the money spent on the sky product was spent on the game here how better it would be for the participants.

I agree with you,it's a fraction of what soccer gets, at the end of the day, soccer has more appeal worldwide, let's not forget its an International sport, brings all country's together and all that, galway is a very diverse place with plenty of nationalities, old age traditions are slowly disappearing, not that GAA will ever disappear but the idea that GAA should take precidence over soccer 100percent of the time is living in lalaland.

whats on it cant open the link?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Fair play to them,i think one of those guys sold me heroin before...:D

Starscream, not all of the time just on the ultimate and penultimate days of live coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

This thread has gone way off-course. Posts about different sports marketing budgets, how to make sport X better and other entirely off topic post will begin receiving infractions. This is your heads-up, don't be a twat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

jh79 wrote: »
    Whenever I put on the GAA , stadiums are barely half full apart from the finals or when Dublin are playing. I think the popularity of football / hurling is over stated.

Not really, you get more people at a first round club hurling champioship match in Galway than a league of ireland match.

Well of course your entitled to your opinion but You can't paint everyone with the same brush, loads of 'real fans' as you say, from both sports often stay in to watch the game on the box in the comfort of their own home.

Most people go to games for different reasons, not just to see their team win, but it could be a family day out, a date or whatever or just for the fun of it,Mao not everyone who goes to games are 'real fans' as you say.

I never claimed everyone going were real fans (try sitting through a club all-ireland with some spanish/italians behind you), but then the vast majority of real fans make the effort to go to matches.

I'd say the majority of the sofa surfers are not real fans, especially given the significant upsurge in numbers going to matches in the latter stages. There were 22k people at the LHC final last year, 45,000 were looking for tickets for the AI final and I know a fair few that don't go to any matches that ended up with tickets, so don't preach to me about people that watch GAA.

Starscream, not all of the time just on the ultimate and penultimate days of live coverage.

How many people were looking to view the match in the pub?

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not really, you get more people at a first round club hurling champioship match in Galway than a league of ireland match.

Not sure on the cost difference, but League of Ireland games were ridiculously priced when I used to go.

The point I was trying to make was that if you can barely fill Croke Park until you get to the finals of the national games then it should hardly come as a surprise that it is not the number one choice in the pubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 988 ✭✭✭deadeye187

s_carnage wrote: »
    That's just a backwards view. Just because you mightn't like a sport doesn't mean you have to come out with crap like that.

How can an opinion be a joke or 'backwards view'?....I find GAA boring as hell and I don`t know anyone that watches it. They all think its boring as sh*t aswell...........

Your statement is a view of a backward person!...small minded even.

And football is the greatest game on earth, no doubt about it!

deadeye187 wrote: »
    How can an opinion be a joke or 'backwards view'?....I find GAA boring as hell and I don`t know anyone that watches it. They all think its boring as sh*t aswell...........

No rugby and hurling are the greatest games on earth....but i guess man-sports scare you.

No rugby and hurling are the greatest games on earth....but i guess man-sports scare you.

Tbh man you know nothing about me. I played rugby for 12 years, and tho I love to play it I do not like watching it. Now you probable love watching rugby but never played it, there is a big difference between me and you!....Your an armchair rugby player!

And if you can read, look for the greatest game on earth, and it will be..........................FOOBALL.....

U MAD BRO?

Nothing to do with man sports scaring anyone, even before the sky sports days and all the needless diving and all that in soccer, it's fair to say soccer has been the number 1 sport for the last few decades and will most likely remain so. And in my humble opinion for good reason.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

infractions handed out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

So why does almost everyone in the country only seem to support English teams,if Madrid were playing Barcelona and a pub was showing it I'm sure it would be turned over for a match between hullv stoke or similar,its English football that's the obsession in this country not football,id much rather watch a GAA match than an EPL match which has nothing to do with Irish culture, its the only thing we have left that we can call our own

Alright we can can all agree to disagree but it's actually a good thing how diverse sport can be. No one sport is better than the other,we all like different things. The main point to take from this is soccer is more commercial easier to sell brings more people together in this age of multi culturism and is the obvious choice for pubs and social places to make money.

deadeye,

why are americans and english in awe of our games especially, hurling?
    never met anyone in awe of soccer.
    If you really played rugby you would not have such admiration for soccer, they are worlds apart.
    honesty,manliness, fair play and integrity i could go on...

So why does almost everyone in the country only seem to support English teams,if Madrid were playing Barcelona and a pub was showing it I'm sure it would be turned over for a match between hullv stoke or similar,its English football that's the obsession in this country not football,id much rather watch a GAA match than an EPL match which has nothing to do with Irish culture, its the only thing we have left that we can call our own

I understand what you are saying for sure, but these football games will be on in every pub around the world that have the rights to show them. And not just in Irish ones.

Yes the PL is gone the way of glossy mags,i have no respect for it in ireland the premiere league can only be called a FAD,irish people choosing to support man utd over the local loi,gaa or rugby team is disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

That's fine and that's your opinion. What you said earlier "GAA = boring." was like you saying it as fact and not your opinion and that's what I find backwards. Just think it's a bit petty when someone who doesn't like one sport comes out with a statement like you did earlier. Just smacks of playground "my dad is bigger than yours"

Also I find it hard to believe you don't know anyone that watches GAA

deadeye,

why are americans and english in awe of our games especially, hurling?
    never met anyone in awe of soccer.
    If you really played rugby you would not have such admiration for soccer, they are worlds apart.
    honesty,manliness, fair play and integrity i could go on...

I did play for years!..just because you play one sport does not mean you can`t enjoy watching another sport more!..... Football was what I grew up watching but grew up playing rugby...to which I played 2 seasons in Division 2 B

eireanbear,

i work in an office with a guy who gives me a headache about rooney/suarez and his in depth knowledge of the game.
    yet last week he would not buy a raffle ticket to support an u-12 soccer team going on a trip to scotland for the halloween break.
    therefore he is a consumer of the game and not a participant.

If you support an English team than a match between hull and stoke could have implications on your teams position in the league.

• Advertisement

eireanbear,

i work in an office with a guy who gives me a headache about rooney/suarez and his in depth knowledge of the game.
    yet last week he would not buy a raffle ticket to support an u-12 soccer team going on a trip to scotland for the halloween break.
    therefore he is a consumer of the game and not a participant.

The parents should fund their kids activities.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement