Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for maternity hospital staff?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭

Would like to put a hamper together for the midwives and staff. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

No... I'd probably buy a box/tin of roses for them but I wouldn't spend too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I think if I was in that kind of career, in this economy, I'd prefer a card, and cash.

EDIT: This wasn't a political statement. A positive leap of conclusion below.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭fsfg

I think a card and a box of chocolates is more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Sweets or box of buns for tea break and card would be much appreciated. Cash could not be accepted. Lovely thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

rovoagho wrote: »
    I think if I was in that kind of career, in this economy, I'd prefer a card, and cash.

Thanks, it's really just a token as a way of saying thanks. I'm not planning on writing "I know you're on **** wages and work really hard so here's some cash to help you pay your esb bill" on the card. Cash doesn't suit in this circumstance.

This thread going to turn Into a political argument about public sector staff/ croke park agreement? Mods, if it is, then please just lock it, no need to waste my time on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

I gave a donation to a children's charity then gave cards to all that helped on our journey stating that a donation had been made. Why make the chocolate companies richer eh?! I gave a card to the midwives, community midwife, breastfeedinxg clinic, my gp, and the la leche league leaders that had helped us so much x

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

As a nurse I can safely say we love getting fruit. Sounds very healthy but there are only so many boxes of roses you can eat. Fruit in our place goes in a flash. lovely to see your being so kind :-)

anmhi02 wrote: »
    As a nurse I can safely say we love getting fruit. Sounds very healthy but there are only so many boxes of roses you can eat. Fruit in our place goes in a flash. lovely to see your being so kind :-)

Don't mind her, get them chocolates.

Yours faithfully

Mr Cadbury

I just re-read my second post...

Oopsy, saw a little bit too much red there.

I just had a very good experience with excellent staff. Politics, wages or economy do not need to be acknowledged in this thread,or our gift of thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SupaDupaFly

A book on basic etiquette! Badly needed in <snip>

• Advertisement

I just re-read my second post...

Oopsy, saw a little bit too much red there.

I just had a very good experience with excellent staff. Politics, wages or economy do not need to be acknowledged in this thread,or our gift of thanks

You are the one brining up the Croke Park agreement!

fsfg wrote: »
    Don't mind her, get them chocolates.

Yours faithfully

Mr Cadbury

This isn't the humour forum.

January wrote: »
    This isn't the humour forum.

Obviously

Obviously

Yeah, well that was your first warning, keep it up and you'll be infracted.

Yeah, well that was your first warning, keep it up and you'll be infracted.

Warning for what? Infract away

Warning for what? Infract away

A warning for posting in an unhelpful way.

A warning for posting in an unhelpful way.

Why take offence to my slightly off topic poor attempt at humour? There was another post taking a dig at hospital staff in Tipp which would have warranted a mention but you chose my offensive post. I find it odd.

If you want to argue with me, do it in PM, not on thread. It's against the charter. I'd also suggest that you try not to put focus on other people's posts to take the heat away from your own. If you have a problem with a post report it to bring it to our attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Well as a nurse a bottle of wine was a nice treat. We'd raffle it between the staff on the ward. Stir away from chocolate - always too many boxes

A book on basic etiquette! Badly needed in <snip>

I suggest if you have a problem with the way you, or a loved one was treated that you write a letter of complaint to the master of the hospital rather than name them here. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Was thinking of some kind of nice hand creams or similar? Yay or nay?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I bought a box of biscuits for unit 3 and the ward nurses the 1st time,I got nothing for them the 2nd and think it was chocolate the 3rd, thanks for the tips about chocolate and fruit.
    I think a general present that everyone can share is nicer then something like hand cream.

Can we keep this thread on topic please.

I suggest if you have a problem with the way you, or a loved one was treated that you write a letter of complaint to the master of the hospital rather than name them here. Thank you.

Has been done January, almost ten months ago and still awaiting a reply.

On topic though, I think a hamper of fresh fruits and biscuits always go down well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

On topic though, I think a hamper of fresh fruits and biscuits always go down well.

I bought a card and chocs when we had our baby. Dropped it into the nurses station on our way home and saw at least 3 other boxes of chocolates in the desk. Fruit probably is a more preferable option.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Off topic, but 10months and no reply? Did you follow up? I had a reply within 3 weeks and a meeting arranged with the Master with 4 weeks.

Ginny wrote: »
    Off topic, but 10months and no reply? Did you follow up? I had a reply within 3 weeks and a meeting arranged with the Master with 4 weeks.

Never even bothered. Decided to leave it all behind me and just be thankful that me and my son got out of there alive, no exaggeration.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

As an alternative to chocs or fruit we gave a selection of crackers and cheeses for tea breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Is a bit of a family tradition that we get some scratch cards for occasions like these. I put a decent amount (we had dealt with some many different staff over the three times we went to the Hospital) of scratch cards into the card and gave it to the Nurse Manager. We asked her to make sure that certain Midwives got one, other than that they could share them out among each other as they saw fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭anmhi02

lang wrote: »
    Is a bit of a family tradition that we get some scratch cards for occasions like these. I put a decent amount (we had dealt with some many different staff over the three times we went to the Hospital) of scratch cards into the card and gave it to the Nurse Manager. We asked her to make sure that certain Midwives got one, other than that they could share them out among each other as they saw fit.

God this one could be tricky.....one patient did this once but when the nurse in question scratched it, she won 1000 euros. The nurse manger went nuts saying it was like taking money from a patient. All hell broke loose for a while until it was agreed to use the money for a night out for all the staff on
    The ward. if your going to do this tell them to scratch it out of sight of others and to try keep a cool head when they scratch out the jackpot :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

anmhi02 wrote: »
    God this one could be tricky.....one patient did this once but when the nurse in question scratched it, she won 1000 euros. The nurse manger went nuts saying it was like taking money from a patient. All hell broke loose for a while until it was agreed to use the money for a night out for all the staff on
    The ward. if your going to do this tell them to scratch it out of sight of others and to try keep a cool head when they scratch out the jackpot :-)

To be honest, they can do with it what they want. I'm sure they are all scratched at this stage. Couldn't be happier if someone wins big... they deserve it. If they decide to spend it on a night out for the ward then so be it. If they splurge on themselves well that's all the same.

In your case, the Nurse Manager had no right to do this. It is luck of the draw who wins what if anything. I hope the Nurse Manager shared the cards we gave out to those involved in our care and did not put a stipulation on them. They were given in good faith and meant to be shared around the team. It is up to each individual what they do with the winnings.

Advertisement