Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arts U.C.C. information and advice?

• 18-08-2013 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hey all,

I would love to hear from anybody who has studied undergraduate Arts (Geography) at U.C.C. in the last few years? I will be studying mostly second and third year geography modules and i would really appreciate any advice or info on certain modules to study or avoid and any other general information on Geography at undergraduate level?????

Please Please any advice will be greatly appreciated???? :)

Cheers!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭shawki

Hey all,

I would love to hear from anybody who has studied undergraduate Arts (Geography) at U.C.C. in the last few years? I will be studying mostly second and third year geography modules and i would really appreciate any advice or info on certain modules to study or avoid and any other general information on Geography at undergraduate level?????

Please Please any advice will be greatly appreciated???? :)

Cheers!!!

This would have some info about modules

http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/arts/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Muinteoir Staidear Gno

Hi Shawki,

Thanks for replying! I suppose i'm looking for some personal insight into the geography modules like what modules were demanding and general info about geography at UCC? I have the complete list and modules and what they entail but i'm just looking for past student exeriences of geography at UCC???

Thanks!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsnob

don't do biogeography. everything else is piss easy

Hi Bobsnob,

Cheers for that advice! I will be doing the postgrad H.Dip in Geography and i'm a bit worried about the module: GG3006 Research Methods & Dissertation (8,000 work essay...). Unfortunately I can't avoid it, but I was just wondering about the work load involved and does this module take up allot of time to complete ?? :confused:

Thanks again Bobsnob!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 bobsnob

didn't do a postgrad so cant help ya unfortunately buddy

• Advertisement

Hi folks,

I have provisionally chosen my H.Dip in Geography modules at U.C.C. I think I have chosen the modules that will interest me the most but at the same time will not be too difficult I hope?? I would be very gratefull if any one would recommend or drop any of the following modules?

1. GG2038- Geographical Research Methods
    2. GG2039- Geographical Data Analysis
    3. GG2022- Field Work
    4. GG3001- The Nature of Geography
    5. GG3006- Research Methods and Dissertation
    6. GG2005- Quaternary Environments and Geomorphology
    7. GG3007- Coastal and Marine Geomorphology
    8. GG2010- Cities and People
    9. GG2014- Geography of Tourism
    10. GG3037- Geography of Heritage
    11. GG3045- Food Geography
    12. GG1005- Physical Geography: An Introduction to the Earth and the Atmosphere
    13. GG1007- An Introduction to World Regions: Societies, Economies and Development

Thanks in advance folks:)

Anyone???? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Hi folks,

I have provisionally chosen my H.Dip in Geography modules at U.C.C. I think I have chosen the modules that will interest me the most but at the same time will not be too difficult I hope?? I would be very gratefull if any one would recommend or drop any of the following modules?

3. GG2022- Field Work

13. GG1007- An Introduction to World Regions: Societies, Economies and Development

Thanks in advance folks:)

How many modules do you have to do? What part of geography interest you?

The options in bold I have done and they are grand modules to do. The ones underlined I presume are compulsory, they were when I was in 2nd and 3rd year anyway. The Nature of Geography is very tough and shouldn't be under-estimated.

I remember doing geostrategies in 3rd year which was interesting and I did rather well in.

It's impossible to say as it depends on what aspects you're interested in but there should be nothing to fear overall from those selections

Hi Mr.Prodston,

Thanks a million for your reply mail, it has proved rather difficult to get any sort of info about undergraduate geography at U.C.C., so i am very appreciative of any info and advice!!!

Modules 1 - 5 are compulsory. I wish i could avoid GG3006 as it involves writting up an 8,000 word essay! Did you complete this module, how did you find it overall? Having read the book of modules, i had thought that GG3001 and GG2022 would be the more straight forward of the five compulsory modules, so thanks for the heads up!

Did you study GG3007? is this module mostly about coastal processes and features over the centuries?

I have to study 70 credits in total to teach geography to L.C. higher level(60 credits from 2nd and 3rd year modules and 10 credits from 1st year).

I had initally chosen the module Geopolitics and Geostrategies but thought it might be too full on?? I actually enjoy politics in general so maybe I should reconsider studying this module.

I have a keen interest in physical geography in particular volcanoes, rivers and coastal processes and features and types of rocks and soils.

How did you find the course overall, and would you have anymore tips and advice for example taking notes, attending tutorials, etc??? :confused:

3. GG2022- Field Work

Thanks in advance Mr. Prodston!! :)

Hi Mr.Prodston,

Thanks a million for your reply mail, it has proved rather difficult to get any sort of info about undergraduate geography at U.C.C., so i am very appreciative of any info and advice!!!

Modules 1 - 5 are compulsory. I wish i could avoid GG3006 as it involves writting up an 8,000 word essay! Did you complete this module, how did you find it overall? Having read the book of modules, i had thought that GG3001 and GG2022 would be the more straight forward of the five compulsory modules, so thanks for the heads up!

Did you study GG3007? is this module mostly about coastal processes and features over the centuries?

I have to study 70 credits in total to teach geography to L.C. higher level(60 credits from 2nd and 3rd year modules and 10 credits from 1st year).

I had initally chosen the module Geopolitics and Geostrategies but thought it might be too full on?? I actually enjoy politics in general so maybe I should reconsider studying this module.

I have a keen interest in physical geography in particular volcanoes, rivers and coastal processes and features and types of rocks and soils.

How did you find the course overall, and would you have anymore tips and advice for example taking notes, attending tutorials, etc??? :confused:

3. GG2022- Field Work

Thanks in advance Mr. Prodston!! :)

No worries at all. I didn't do the dissertation myself but I don't think it was that bad really if you keep on top of it. Will depend on your supervisor and topic you choose but I wouldn't panic.

We were told in the first lecture of Nature of Geography that 1/3 people fail which we laughed off but it's about right. To my mind it's more about the philosophy/sociology and history of geography but if you get a general grounding in it it should be fine.

The Field work was very good, a week in a place but you'll be going 24/7 between working all days and not sleeping at night :pac: I went to Barcelona and really enjoyed it. The first two modules will be fine although the lecturer we had has since left which should make it a better module than when I did it.

Geopolitics and Geostrategies isn't too full on at all, especially if you have an interest. The lectures are quite laid back and it's only one a week, I'd recommend it myself.

I didn't do GG3007 so I can't really comment but if you're interested in just go for it. I kept away from the physical side a good bit myself .

Obvious advice but go to the lectures. It's imperative that you attend 9 and 10 as all notes are taken in class and no blackboard is used. Be prepared to write for the duration of lecture but then they're straight forward modules with no hidden agenda.

I can hardly remember the first year modules but suffice to say they should be fine. I liked it overall and never felt under too much pressure. Any more questions I'll try and answer too.

• Advertisement

Cheers Mr. Prodston for all that useful info!! Can i ask you a very general question on how you studied the individual modules? Was it a case of taking down your lecture notes, then going to library to read up on the particular topics and rewriting the notes again in more detail for each module every day??

Thanks!!

Cheers Mr. Prodston for all that useful info!! Can i ask you a very general question on how you studied the individual modules? Was it a case of taking down your lecture notes, then going to library to read up on the particular topics and rewriting the notes again in more detail for each module every day??

Thanks!!

No worries at all. Yeah that would work alright. Most modules will put the slides up on blackboard anyway so you'll know what to take down and not take down pretty quickly into the year

Cheers for all that info and advice man!! :D

Hi guys,

I am choosing geography modules and I cannot decide between;

GG1003 Cultural Geography: An Introduction to Place, Space and Globalisation

Or

GG1004 Economic Geography: An Introduction to Societies, Economies and Global Development

I would be very grateful for any feedback like which is the easiest or more interesting?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi guys,

I am choosing geography modules and I cannot decide between;

GG1003 Cultural Geography: An Introduction to Place, Space and Globalisation

Or

GG1004 Economic Geography: An Introduction to Societies, Economies and Global Development

I would be very grateful for any feedback like which is the easiest or more interesting?

Thanks in advance!!!

If you have to choose I'd go for Cultural Geography. It's probably easier or from what I remember of it about 4 years ago it was. Although there may be 5 tutorial classes throughout the year too which may not be ideal. This was 4 years ago so not sure.

Thanks again Mr.Prodston for all your help!!!

Advertisement