Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tank advise

Options
  • 18-08-2013 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Got a small tank to start me off as I always wanted to keep fish but was unsure of what level of work it would take.

Anyhow, 50 litre, let it stand for a weeks with just the stones in it, then added the water . Then went to petshop where a nice guy told me I would need to get bacteria and a water conditioner and he also advised to leave that sit for another 2/3 weeks and get water tested. All good so far. Water test came back good. So got 5 little fish, Danios, as per his advise. Then a week or 2 later added 2 more other fish, little sharks.

Have done 2 water changes, taking about 20 litres out and adding back in water with the conditioner in it BUT here is my problem, water does not seem to clear.

All 7 fish seem fine and healthy, and I was not planning on putting anymore in , was hoping to get a larger tank before I got any more , but would love to get this sorted. Would hate to think it not a healthy place ,

Any advise welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

What type of fish are the little sharks? Some of them get very large. Post a photo if you don't know the exact species.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

BALA Silver Shark 2"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Tank is nowhere near big enough for bala sharks I'm afraid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Definitley, they get to about a foot long; much too big for your tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

Ok, was thinking of getting a bigger tank soon anyway but will order one this week. Will they be ok for a few weeks while I get new one ready. Would I need to go more than 150 litre?

Also this sounds mad , is there a way of only getting male fish or is that a bad idea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I think so hpsheba, these guys get really big. So big I'm not sure they're really advisable for home aquariums. I reckon you'd need a 5/6 foot long tank at least to give them a little bit of room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

Advertisement