Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pitching a product

Options
  • 18-08-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,

I've a clothing design for baby wear with a unique feature providing many positive benefits such as time saving, efficiency, hygiene and cleanliness and more. I'm awaiting a sample of my product to be made but this is being done as a favour with no cost so I'm waiting with no clue of when it'll be done :( I do have a home made sample but it really isn't professional enough to show a serious company. I don't have any money to put into this. What I'm looking to happen ideally is for a retailer such as Dunnes, Primark, Mothercare etc. to take my design and produce it themselves and for me to get a % of equity from sales. Has anyone any advise for me for example what I'd need to pitch to a company (market research etc.) and what stage of development I'd need to be at before approaching a company?

I've been advised by someone in the clothing trade that it's a waste of time and money to patent a design as a slight alteration to my design and the patent is useless, any thoughts/experience on this?

If anyone has any advise or information for me I'm very interested in hearing it. This is all alien to me but I'm so passionate about my product design and know it will be huge once it gets out there!

Thanks is advance ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

I suspect you already know the answers yourself. Stores don't buy designs, unless you are Paul Costello, Louise Kennedy or John Rocha! They buy products that are supply chain secure and ready to go. You have only got a design and sadly that alone is going to be very hard to monitise. If you don't have the funds to have it produced, hold stock and extend credit.. you are out of the game. Design copyright or even a patent is really only security if it is of a high level and you have the resources to defend your IP rights in a legal battle in the case of infringement.

Sorry to be so brutal but this is the reality of jungle warfare that rules the world of business, the clothing game is as tough as it gets. Your best chance, in my view is to do a deal with a smaller but established name/label in the children's ware business, who can take it to market. Many such companies do not have a strong new product design resource and are thus more likely to be open to such an arrangement.
    Get a proper sample and protect your design before you approach your target partners. You need to present as a credible professional designer with your own ducks in a row.

Advertisement