Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproof collars

• 18-08-2013 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭

May I ask all you good fine posters for recommendations for waterproof collars? My pair have fabric collars at the minute but they get wet and sandy on the beach and wet and mucky when we're in the fields:D. Is there any decent ones about? I haven't seen any nice ones locally and you all know the shopping sites better than I do..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I've bought collars from Sharon before, Trailbaby, including some that dry very quickly, they are made of webbing, and they cost around £4. She does all different styles, but I like what she calls team collars, they are adjustable, you make them big enough to go over the dogs head, then tighten when they're on the neck, so no buckles or clips to rust. There is a bit of metal on them, but I haven't had any rust yet. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.218533884891595.50348.137788806299437&type=3

I've also got collars from Sarah at Willows Leads, she uses softer material, but again, I like her team collars http://www.willowsleads.co.uk/#/products/4568074188/Team-Collar/3368296

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

I got a Spiffy collar for our dirt magnet and it still looks perfect 6 months later. It's lightweight, quick drying and pretty dirt resistant. If the dog and collar are both minging (she's a poop roller) I can hose both off in the garden and the collar definitely cleans up faster than the wombat sporting it.

I got my second one from Amazon and my first one from Holistic Pet Products (these guys are usually at the various dog shows in Cloughran).

Just to add - I have taken her to the beach and there was no sign of either sand or the vomit from the salt water on the collar by the time I got her home and out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

ezydog collars are made from neoprene the same material diving suits are made from, with a very strong plastic clip and velcro adjustable , perfect for swimming a dog in , i got mine on amazon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

juniord wrote: »
    ezydog collars are made from neoprene the same material diving suits are made from, with a very strong plastic clip and velcro adjustable , perfect for swimming a dog in , i got mine on amazon

+1 for the ezydog ones. The neoprene is cushiony against their necks and it dries fast. I like that they have a seperate loop thing for tags. I've had Bailey's for just over 2 years and apart from it being a bit faded from the sea/river and elements it's perfect - I got a second one at the same time in case I needed a spare and have only used it a handful of times when the collar needed deep cleaning after 'roll' :rolleyes:. I have a girly pink candystripe one for Lucy to match Bailey's blue one :P
    The only thing I found with their stuff is that it seems to run a bit smaller than their measurements so I had to go a size up for Bailey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

tk123 wrote: »
    +1 for the ezydog ones. The neoprene is cushiony against their necks and it dries fast. I like that they have a seperate loop thing for tags. I've had Bailey's for just over 2 years and apart from it being a bit faded from the sea/river and elements it's perfect - I got a second one at the same time in case I needed a spare and have only used it a handful of times when the collar needed deep cleaning after 'roll' :rolleyes:. I have a girly pink candystripe one for Lucy to match Bailey's blue one :P
    The only thing I found with their stuff is that it seems to run a bit smaller than their measurements so I had to go a size up for Bailey.

Good to know that they run small.
    I like the look of the martingale style on Muddypaws link too, even though they're fabric. I'd like something in an odd enough colour like green to contrast against the red coats, although the blue ezydog one is nice.

I rarely use the collar as a functioning 'collar' more often than not I'll take them off at home but I have them on when they're out running on the beach or the fields.

• Advertisement

I'd like something in an odd enough colour like green to contrast against the red coats

:pac::pac: My friend always asks 'does it come in kahki green' when she gets anything for her setter lol!!

:pac::pac: My friend always asks 'does it come in kahki green' when she gets anything for her setter lol!!

They can be hard to find!:D
    I actually love the emerald/paddy green colour, it looks so amazing on the red fur, but I haven't found one yet ticks all the boxes for my pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I'm thinking of switching to the ezydog collars myself as I've recently discovered a beach that's isolated enough to safely let Jess off lead. :)

I currently have these collars which I LOVE because they're so light and soft... the ezydog ones look really bulky in comparison. The D ring on one of my matching leads is starting to rust already though after only a couple of beach trips, so I'd say it's only a matter of time before the collars suffer the same fate.

I'll get a better pic when I get home but you can just make out both collars in this one :pac: The puppy one is a bit big so looks a little bulky .

I'll get a better pic when I get home but you can just make out both collars in this one :pac: The puppy one is a bit big so looks a little bulky .

Forget the collars, that is a brilliant photo :D

• Advertisement

Lucy looks like she's using the sunlounger as a trampoline:D

Muddypaws, you shouldn't have shown me that Trailbaby site:D. I'm probably going to end up considerably poorer for it! Have you ever used any of their walking belts? I have the regular trixie one from zooplus and I've been threatening for months to get a decent one. And there's one with green piping so I could coordinate with green 'paw' collars;)

She does lol :p It took me days to get a photo of it - used my real camera in the end because they came out blurry with my phone

Muddypaws, you shouldn't have shown me that Trailbaby site:D. I'm probably going to end up considerably poorer for it! Have you ever used any of their walking belts? I have the regular trixie one from zooplus and I've been threatening for months to get a decent one. And there's one with green piping so I could coordinate with green 'paw' collars;)

:D I haven't got one of her belts, but I know lots of people that have and they are excellent quality. Sharon has worked huskies for years, so her stuff is designed to hold even the strongest puller. She's a lovely woman, and will basically do whatever colours and patterns you want, as long as she can get the material. Blue and green are my 'team colours' - that makes us sound so professional, which we're not - and I've just got a new snub line from her, blue and green interwoven, which looks fantastic and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to use it and get it muddy.

Advertisement