Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dentistry or year out?

Options
  • 18-08-2013 10:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭

Hey guys, this is my first time posting in this forum, but the LC forum seems a bit busy, so I decided I'd try here instead. Basically, I did the leaving cert and HPAT this year, and ended up with a grand total of 729. Now, I got 615/563 in the LC and 166 in the HPAT. So really, I'm going to be ~10 points short of Galway. My second choice is dentistry in UCC, which I think I might like, however my parents want me to take a year out to repeat the HPAT, apply to UK universities and do other things. I'm really not sure what to do. Should I accept dentistry and repeat the HPAT next year or take the full year out? Although, for me, dentistry would only be an enjoyable route to graduate medicine and perhaps, a career in maxillofacial surgery. So basically, I'm just looking for some advice and thoughts.

What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hey guys, this is my first time posting in this forum, but the LC forum seems a bit busy, so I decided I'd try here instead. Basically, I did the leaving cert and HPAT this year, and ended up with a grand total of 729. Now, I got 615/563 in the LC and 166 in the HPAT. So really, I'm going to be ~10 points short of Galway. My second choice is dentistry in UCC, which I think I might like, however my parents want me to take a year out to repeat the HPAT, apply to UK universities and do other things. I'm really not sure what to do. Should I accept dentistry and repeat the HPAT next year or take the full year out? Although, for me, dentistry would only be an enjoyable route to graduate medicine and perhaps, a career in maxillofacial surgery. So basically, I'm just looking for some advice and thoughts.

What should I do?
    The important question is 'what do you want to do'? You're parents have invested a lot in you, but this doesn't mean that you 'owe' them, as such.

Think about where you'd like to be, and what you'd like to be doing, once you're qualified. Then you can start planning routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 kmf2012

What should I do?
    I was in your shoes last year and had a choice of midwifery or year out and my family wantd me to do midwifery cos my sisters were both starting uni too so they didnt want me to be left out but decided to take the year out did volunteering and worked and repeat HPAT and reaplied through UCAS, got accepted into uni in Leicester and also got my first choice this morning of medicine at Trinity which I can enjoy now without having to pay fees or anything, yes i t was a year later than id hoped but now im so ready annd so excited and I would recommend that path to anyone :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

It's a win win situation if you ask me.
    Maxfax surgeons are among the highest paid and respected of all doctors.
    Check out special GradMed courses in London for Dentists on their way to being Maxfax surgeons.
    Congratulations on your great score - you have given yourself plenty of opportunities - enjoy the moment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Also with 615 you could aply to Oxbridge Medical courses next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hanhig

What should I do?

I'm just after finishing my first year in UCC dent and received an offer for UCC med this morning. I loved dent and personally, enjoying my year in college, studying a bit and not getting too bogged down in hpat prep did the trick. If I didn't get a med offer this morning I would have been happy to continue with dent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement