Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to do high level subjects?

• 18-08-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

So first of all let me apologise beforehand, if you find my post a bit complicated. I'll try my best to put it as simply as i can. Ok, so let me finish my sentence. Do you have to do high level subjects of your choice/pass them in high level in order to study what you want to do as a leaving in college?
    like for example if you decided to become a scientist, would you have to pass science subjects such as physics, maths etc.... in high level? or is it all about points? and you can do them in ordinary level as well as long as you gather enough points to go to college and pick whatever you want to study there?
    This might be a silly question to ask, and i am sorry for it but i am little confused and it would be great if someone could explain how this works haha...
    Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    So first of all let me apologise beforehand, if you find my post a bit complicated. I'll try my best to put it as simply as i can. Ok, so let me finish my sentence. Do you have to do high level subjects of your choice/pass them in high level in order to study what you want to do as a leaving in college?
    like for example if you decided to become a scientist, would you have to pass science subjects such as physics, maths etc.... in high level? or is it all about points? and you can do them in ordinary level as well as long as you gather enough points to go to college and pick whatever you want to study there?
    This might be a silly question to ask, and i am sorry for it but i am little confused and it would be great if someone could explain how this works haha...
    Thanks in advance :D

Sort of.

You can do OL Physics and ultimately go on to study it in college, same with a lot of things that are studied at LC level.

However: It's not a good idea because the rest of the course will probably be miles ahead of you.

Regardless of that, colleges have different matriculation requirements to study x course. Eg UCD science requires you to get a certain grade in Maths AND have two HL C3s in Lab Sciences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are three things required:

1) Matriculation: i.e. you qualify for entrance to the college. This will normally say something like "pass 6 subjects at Leaving Cert, and get C in a HL paper in at least two of them". It will usually specify that you must pass certain subjects like English and / or Irish and / or Maths

2) Course requirements: additional requirements for the specific course. This is where for a science course they might specify an Honour in one or more Science subjects.

These two together are often referred to as the minimum requirements for the course.

3) Points. Everyone who satisfies the minimum requirements is then ranked by points. When the course is full, the points of the last person in the door "sets" the points which will appear in tomorrow's paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

@Fad @randylonghorn
    Thank you soo much guys, this answers every question i had. i appreciated :)
    I wanted a little bit of more time to think what i want to do in future because i don't want to end up regretting it but i guess i better get going and thinkfast :D

Advertisement