Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travelling to scotland from republic with a gun

Options
  • 18-08-2013 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

How's things lads
    I'm planning a trip to scotland shooting geese in January with a friend. I've never done this before and haven't a clue where to start the only thing we've done so far is paid a deposit to to the shoot. We're planning to travel through the north and get the.boat from there. What do we need to do in terms of ferries are there only certain ferries that allow guns on board and what do we need to do in terms of getting permits and the likes. Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

dCorbus wrote a good review of the process. Covers all major points and should be as relevant to Scotland as the UK.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 33 averagefox

what i did was, got my euro pass, got my N.I visitors pass, U.K visitors pass, contacted ferry company, got to the port and they checked the guns (serial no. ,passes and licence) and we went on our merry way. sailed from larne to cairnryan with no hassle at all. just give yourself plenty of time before sailing as it may take a while getting things looked at and may be first onto the boat.
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Clinty wrote: »
    How's things lads
    I'm planning a trip to scotland shooting geese in January with a friend. I've never done this before and haven't a clue where to start the only thing we've done so far is paid a deposit to to the shoot. We're planning to travel through the north and get the.boat from there. What do we need to do in terms of ferries are there only certain ferries that allow guns on board and what do we need to do in terms of getting permits and the likes. Any help greatly appreciated

We went 2yr ago to Dumfries,and just shot with the organisers guns,that was us just not wanting to bodder with all the paper work,and not wanting to fire 3 1/2'' magnums through our own guns:p,much handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I've been over a couple of times in the last few years to both UK and Scotland. Been over with the father and his friends a few times and also with my own groups.

Only time I ever had an issue was when I was with 3 of my own friends (all under 25) with a gun each in the car and we get stopped at a random flukey checkpoint in some middle of nowhere village up near the Scottish border.... We had stopped for lunch and the 3 lads who were passengers had a couple of pints so all they could do was laugh while I tried to explain to the police where we were heading... there were only two irish guns in the car which were both fine. The other two are friends from UK and one of the english lads brought the wrong license for a different firearm or something like that but it was sorted out over the phone.

But that was nothing to do with travelling from Ireland with it. I always do as dCorbus says and let the Police know as you are leaving the port just in case.

I'm flying with a gun in the next couple of weeks too and have to say that so far it's a very smooth and easy to follow system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Cass wrote: »
    dCorbus wrote a good review of the process. Covers all major points and should be as relevant to Scotland as the UK.

Scotland is still part of the UK until they become independent.

Just sayin'.

tac

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I know.

Hence the reason i said dCorcus' review should be as relevant to Scotland as the UK.

But thanks for your input. Very helpful.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement