Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicest location to Watch Sunset in Dungarvan - Sat 24th Aug 2013

Options
  • 18-08-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Good Evening All ,

I'll be down in Dungarvan this coming week-end for the second successive year for the Sean Kelly tour of Waterford!

My research is telling me that the sunset on this Saturday night (24th) will be at 20:44.

I'm wondering where you would recommend for me to catch a lovely sunset as I'll be in Dungarvan late that evening and I'm not familiar with the area. Only been there once, for the cycle last-year, but would not know the Nicest/Best location to kick back and absord a sunset the night before I complete the 100km - Chillaxing Evening planned :o

Many Thanks in advance,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Interesting, Just looked it up and High Water is 20:46 for Dungarvan that day, was hoping that the tide was out so I could send you down on the beach.

I've a stack of good sunset pictures taken from the Ballyvoyle Cove end of Clonea Upper so my advice would be to get to the Bridge in Ballyvoile Cove for 20:15 and walk across the stoney beach towards Dungarvan, you need to walk about 200m to get out past a small headland that might block your view. You'll see the sun set before 20:44 because it sets behind a hill.

Ballyvoyle Cove is 5-6 miles East of Dungarvan so I don't know if thats too far for you or not. Other locations might be the Gold Coast Hotel or the Light House both much nearer.

Nearest would be over on Abbeyside somewhere near the church.

Cancel that OP, at least the Ballyvoyle Cove bit because you can't see Dungarvan from Ballyvoyle Cove - my bad! :o:o Just looked at some of my sunset photos and while the sun is setting over Dungarvan The Clonea Hotel is straight in front of you in the distance and Ballynacourty is in the way.

The little road up that takes you up to the Glen Fruits fruit farm at Clonea Upper, go under the old railway bridge off the main road, has some good views over Dungarvan but not exactly anywhere to sit and kick back and a good way out of town.

This http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6095/6283694395_f2a98e2c9f.jpg (not mine just a random google) is what you might get from over at Abbyside down towards the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dave_Power

the main Cork road up the massive long hill coming from dungarvan, near the huge bend, theres a lay by, the views are amazing you can see for miles and miles, i often pull in to admire the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Slow And One Sided

I didn't suggest anywhere to the West of Dungarvan because I think of seeing the sun set to mean seeing the sun disappear over the horizon. If you are looking towards Dungarvan from up on the Cork Road to the West of Dungarvan then the sun is setting behind you. But no point having an argument about semantics as its still a good spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Ah Thanks so much ^^^ for your assistance with this, Much Appreciated :)

/Trying to find ways to clear my mind and sunsets/sunrises; views overlooking lakes and mountains etc ... often work wonders for me.

Thanks again,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 17 mac20v

the lay by on the old parish road is good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

If you want to watch the sunset I recommend heading east. Try the gold coast in ballinacourty. You'll be looking back across the bay, and the sun will set behind the hill of An Rinn.

Advertisement