Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Honey

Options
  • 19-08-2013 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I was in tesco today and wanted to buy some Honey, but a lot of the jars I picked up were blended from EU and Non EU honeys. Is it possible to get just plain old Irish Honey in supermarkets or will I have to go to the farmers market (which is really difficult for me with the way my work hours are). Granted I didn't read them all as I didn't have time, so there might be a brand I can look out for?

Is it a good idea to buy Irish Honey or does it make a difference, I think I remember reading somewhere that non EU honey comes mostly from China and that it is very poor quality, something to do with chemicals, but I can't find anything on it now. Even honey I would have assumed is Irish, says Irish on the bottle etc, says that it is made from EU and Non EU origins when you read properly (Boyne Valley for example).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CorsendonkX

Whispered wrote: »
    I was in tesco today and wanted to buy some Honey, but a lot of the jars I picked up were blended from EU and Non EU honeys. Is it possible to get just plain old Irish Honey in supermarkets or will I have to go to the farmers market (which is really difficult for me with the way my work hours are). Granted I didn't read them all as I didn't have time, so there might be a brand I can look out for?

Is it a good idea to buy Irish Honey or does it make a difference, I think I remember reading somewhere that non EU honey comes mostly from China and that it is very poor quality, something to do with chemicals, but I can't find anything on it now. Even honey I would have assumed is Irish, says Irish on the bottle etc, says that it is made from EU and Non EU origins when you read properly (Boyne Valley for example).

Healy's do a pure Irish Honey among it's range, you could contact them to see do any supermarkets stock it.

http://www.healyshoney.ie/about.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Healy's do a pure Irish Honey among it's range, you could contact them to see do any supermarkets stock it.

http://www.healyshoney.ie/about.html
    Dunnes Stores sell that brand as I've gotten it there before.

Tesco sell it too

http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/product/search/default.aspx?searchBox=healys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We get honey from a local producer here in Cavan and its far superior to the blended honey. I'd say its well worth your effort to go Irish and your also supporting local producers..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 zoe234

Whispered wrote: »

Hi Whispered,

What I did was contacted my local bee keeping group and now I buy from a local keeper. It actually worked out nicely as the keeper lives 5 minutes down the road. Its definitely one of the nicest honey's I have ever tasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Thanks a million for the tips. Will see if I can get it locally. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭folamh

They usually sell locally-produced honey in health stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

You should always go for local honey as it's a great cure for all sorts, particularly hay fever believe it or not! These guys are really helpful. Phone them and ask locally where your nearest producer is, they will be delighted to help :)

http://www.irishbeekeeping.ie/federation/affassoc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh there are 3 very close to my area. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Yay! Local is best! :)

Advertisement