Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any general advice?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Tenger wrote: »
    Nothing excepy Chrome and my normal stuff running (that I can see anyway) I may be calling on my techie mate to pop up for tea over the next coupe of days. Uninstalled it...gonna try 1 more time

I doubt the install is bad, there'd be other signs of that. It's probably choking on something it relies upon, possibly user rights or separate library dependancy such as .net.

Essentially once the base game is installed, the launcher runs for the first time, checks the version and downloads the main wot.exe file to run it.

You don't have any personal firewall/antivirus software that may be blocking the wotlauncher.exe?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Spear wrote: »
    I doubt the install is bad, there'd be other signs of that. It's probably choking on something it relies upon, possibly user rights or separate library dependancy such as .net.

Essentially once the base game is installed, the launcher runs for the first time, checks the version and downloads the main wot.exe file to run it.

You don't have any personal firewall/antivirus software that may be blocking the wotlauncher.exe?

I disabled McAfee to allow the install. The lack of error messages leads to to suspect what you do...something is choking it as it looks fine. My mate may be able to find something.....was hoping to play it this weekend with some mates. Seem like the type of game we can play and chat at the same time...Starcraft 2 takes too much concentration and we want something faster paced than Civ 5!!!

Thanks for your time...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Have you tried something as simple/dumb as a restart of the PC? There could be a file still locked or something stupid like that.

And is MS Visual C++ 2010 installed and updated?

Have you tried something as simple/dumb as a restart of the PC? There could be a file still locked or something stupid like that.

And is MS Visual C++ 2010 installed and updated?

Restarted about an hour ago. I'l try again after the fresh install is done.

As for MS Visual C++...just tried to download from microsoft to be told I already have it on this machine....not that I knew.

Its a pretty clean machine too. Replaced hard drive 2 weeks ago so it was a factory fresh install at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Did you update everything fully after the reinstall? (stupid question I know)

• Advertisement

Restarted about an hour ago. I'l try again after the fresh install is done.

As for MS Visual C++...just tried to download from microsoft to be told I already have it on this machine....not that I knew.

Its a pretty clean machine too. Replaced hard drive 2 weeks ago so it was a factory fresh install at that point

Clean? Does that mean it doesn't have the service packs installed?

nesf wrote: »
    Did you update everything fully after the reinstall? (stupid question I know)

I think.....spent 2 days after new hard drive in updating all the windows services. Reinstalled my normal programs and games.

Could you go into Control Panel and then System and just see what Service Pack it says under "Windows edition." This just rules something out.

Could you go into Control Panel and then System and just see what Service Pack it says under "Windows edition." This just rules something out.

Service Pack 1?

Just unzipping the 5.46GB install file now

Service Pack 1?

Just unzipping the 5.46GB install file now

Service Pack one is the right one. You have two possiblities here with a clean install. Something on your system is stopping the client from launching (happens occasionally with some anti-virus software) or you're missing some requirement like a particular version of the .Net framework or whatever.

• Advertisement

It occurs to me that you'll also need to update your DirectX, as that tends to not be offered through windows update or the service packs.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Sorry guys....unable to do stuff this evening due to looking after the kids....Thanks for the responses to my uselessness! I made sure to install all the latest Windows updates. Even installed MechWarrior Online just to ensure it worked (yes it did....played 3 games)

Just tried to start it again...nothing..."Run as Administrator" did nothing either. So I rightclicked and selected compatibility test....after several annoying menu options as part of the Troubleshooting path, I got to Program Compatibility......it tells me that the WoTlauncher is an "incompatible application"
    However it doesn't provide me with any more info than that or a method of making it compatible or running it in compatibility mode.

Stumped.com! Time to call my tech to have a look at it ,methinks!

Did you redownload the installer?

Sorry guys....unable to do stuff this evening due to looking after the kids....Thanks for the responses to my uselessness! I made sure to install all the latest Windows updates. Even installed MechWarrior Online just to ensure it worked (yes it did....played 3 games)

Just tried to start it again...nothing..."Run as Administrator" did nothing either. So I rightclicked and selected compatibility test....after several annoying menu options as part of the Troubleshooting path, I got to Program Compatibility......it tells me that the WoTlauncher is an "incompatible application"
    However it doesn't provide me with any more info than that or a method of making it compatible or running it in compatibility mode.

Stumped.com! Time to call my tech to have a look at it ,methinks!

That's a new one. When you unpacked the .zip you downloaded, did you use Winzip, or something newer like 7Zip or WinRAR? The .zip is above 4 gigs, and Winzip doesn't play nice with that.

That's a new one. When you unpacked the .zip you downloaded, did you use Winzip, or something newer like 7Zip or WinRAR? The .zip is above 4 gigs, and Winzip doesn't play nice with that.

No idea to be honest...I assume winzip....I just selected "extract all" at the prompt.

No idea to be honest...I assume winzip....I just selected "extract all" at the prompt.

Looking online I find quite a few instances of this happening to others.....

I also found this unhelpful page:

http://www.faultwire.com/solutions-application/World-of-Tanks-*10917.html

Hmm, try installing 7zip (it's free and trustworthy) and extract the files with that instead. 7zip is also the original application used to compress the archive anyway.

Hmm, try installing 7zip (it's free and trustworthy) and extract the files with that instead. 7zip is also the original application used to compress the archive anyway.

I installed WinRAR earlier today to unzip the installer......does the same as before.

At this point I have installed/uninstalled it at least 6 times, rebooted my machine several times and looked up 3 separate videos on youtube showing solutions to this "known issue". If they don't want to take my money then that is their loss. As a long term mil-history reader WoT was my type of game.

I will ask a mate over the weekend but doubt I will be able to get this running at this point. Thanks very much for your advice and assistance in this bizzare situation.

Are you working off the same download all the time? That's the only thing occurring to me right now as a possible problem.

Are you working off the same download all the time? That's the only thing occurring to me right now as a possible problem.

Good point.....however I have downloaded it at least 4 separate times now. used revoinstaller to uninstall it each time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement