Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where does our recycling go?

• 19-08-2013 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭

Any know what's the process after it leaves our homes? Separate landfill and an army of crusties pick through and sort it before sticking into the recycling machine? Genuinely curious

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

This is a rubbish thread!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

leakyboots wrote: »
    Any know what's the process after it leaves our homes? Separate landfill and an army of crusties pick through and sort it before sticking into the recycling machine? Genuinely curious

Old Car/truck/bike tyres are recycled into various coloured rubber chippings and rubber tiles for playgrounds,gardens and landscaping projects.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Elbaston

in the green bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

China or sometimes Africa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Tetrapak cartons are minced up and made into a board type material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Is it even sorted here or just dumped on a ship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

kneemos wrote: »
    Is it even sorted here or just dumped on a ship?

Plenty of good recycling companies making high quality recycled materials in Ireland.

Here's two examples:

http://www.shabra.com/

http://www.thorntons-recycling.ie/about-us-history

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

To the place where things get recycled. Duh! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

A guy I know works for a recycling facility. They used to ship plastics off to China but apparently that market has disappeared. It's now just incinerated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

TheBody wrote: »
    A guy I know works for a recycling facility. They used to ship plastics off to China but apparently that market has disappeared. It's now just incinerated.
    I've heard that too. Since the recession, market has dropped for many recycleables. Saw some news article showing warehouses full of cardbiard with nowhere to go. Another recycler told me a lot of stuff is going back to landfill.
    I have noticed in last few years, some collectors are taking both recycle and non-recycle bins and throwing them in same truck, mixing them up again.
    I am not convinced by the wonderful figures for recycling that are regularly published putting us to top of the league in EU. Doesnt add up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Off the coast of China or sometimes Africa

FYP

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Some of the paper gets shredded and shipped off to China to pig farms as bedding.

A lot of the stuff gets shredded sold to manufacturers. You'll find recycled paper around easily.

The batteries get used again as the materials used are more scarce then they were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

A BBc documentary (Blood sweat and luxuries) showed how properly disposed of UK electrical/IT waste was ending up in huge dumps in Ghana, under some quasi-legal loophole.
    Kids living on the dump break up and burn off plastic to get small amounts of metal to sell, poisoning themselves in the process.
    Used to get that happening here, I've seen it in Dublin, people burning wire to get copper.
    Plumes of toxic smoke didnt bother them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's been well known for years that a lot of "recycling" just goes to landfill

Michael Moore wrote about it in 2003

http://greenyes.grrn.org/2003/04/msg00052.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Lots of plastic gets turned into diesel,
    wood gets turned into chippings for playgrounds, or mulch for fertiliser or used as fuel for powerplants
    metal gets melted back into metal.
    paper gets turned into new paper.
    Dumps are used to create extra power to connect into the electricity grid (methane)

.....come to think of it Ireland is way behind in its uses for recycling, ok its a small island country but still a lot can be done instead of shipping it all off to africa, albania, or asia....

so for any budding entrepreneur who hates school
    Recycling is a huge industry and its getting bigger every day.

Advertisement