Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying house

Options
  • 19-08-2013 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am new here .Dose somebody know shankill well,how is the area? dose it has good schools around? thanks for everybody.
    If that area is not good and I might go to monkstown farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

You should probably post this in the Dublin city or Dublin county south forums. You wont get the answers you want here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=474
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=893

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Moved from After Hours, Please read the Dublin City South charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

It depends very much what part of Shankill you are asking about, it has a combination of former social housing and private estates - some of the areas near the train station would have issues with anti-social behaviour. Overall Shankill is nice enough but it doesnt have a whole lot of community services on its doorstep. People would have to travel north to Loughlinstown / Cabinteely / Killiney / Dalkey, or south to Bray for secondary schools or large supermarkets etc

Overall though Shankill would be a nicer place to live than Monkstown Farm in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

summer_13 wrote: »
    I am new here .Dose somebody know shankill well,how is the area? dose it has good schools around? thanks for everybody.
    If that area is not good and I might go to monkstown farm.

It depends on your family and financial situation.
    If you are considering private schools and have boys who like swimming indoors and playing rugby then Monkstown Farm would be well located close to the pool and CBC Monkstown.

If you have girls who like open sea swimming then Shankill is a better bet, with girls schools on the Dart in Killiney and Dalkey.

I personally prefer the feel of Shankill to Monkstown Farm. It has a nice village centre, albeit a bit trafficy. Rumour has it that the shopping centre eyesore at the church may soon be rejuvenated. But that's been an annual rumour for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 summer_13

Thanks for everybody, I see the house on sale on lower road, looks nice so I want to move there, but no secondary school, would be a problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

Moved to Shankill last year from Dun Laoghaire and we love it!

Lovely villagey atmosphere and fantastic if you are interested in the outdoors, as close by sea and mountains. Great walking round about up to leadmines, on the Dublin Mountains Way, Carraigcollogan. Also Shanganagh Park is excellent. Tennis club is best value to join in Dublin and you can also pay by the hour if a non-member. Supermarkets -small Tesco express but Superquinn in Bray and Dunnes in Cornelscourt close by. Apparently the old shopping centre in Shankill has now been bought and will be a Super Valu....

Shankill feels a lot nicer and less grimy than Monkstown Farm in my view. You feel like you are almost in the countryside and are straight on to the M50 which is very handy. Also, DART, excellent bus service 145 every 10 minutes into town and LUAS at Cherrywood and Brides Glen.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Selfheal

And Lower Road is very nice too!

Advertisement