Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seapoint OW swim around yellow buoys.. Distance?

Options
  • 19-08-2013 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭

Does anyone here do this swim regularly?

I've been swimming there on my tobler most days, wondering about the distances but can't find info anywhere.. only vague guesstimates.

Any folk with a gps watch know the distances between the ramp and 1st buoy and between each of the 5 buoys?

Planning on doing the glendalough 1.5 km swim in a few weeks so would be handy to know if I am actually covering the distance or not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

hollingr wrote: »
    Does anyone here do this swim regularly?

I've been swimming there on my tobler most days, wondering about the distances but can't find info anywhere.. only vague guesstimates.

Any folk with a gps watch know the distances between the ramp and 1st buoy and between each of the 5 buoys?

Planning on doing the glendalough 1.5 km swim in a few weeks so would be handy to know if I am actually covering the distance or not!

Its about 750 meters from the 1st to the 5th buoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I recently did a Night Swim there for charity - first time too! Great experience.

I swam to the 3rd buoy from the ramp and back - here's my garmin log - 950m even thou they said it was 750m

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/354321910

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

thanks, chickenballs i think that log is private I can't view it!

Sorry it's public now ;)

wow didnt realise the bing maps showed the buoys! I can work out the exact distance now pretty accurately, will post a picture in a bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Hey - so this is in at Seapoint, not the 40 foot, right?

Anyone know the distances around the 40 ft buoys? Thanks!

ill be able to get them now declan, will use the bing maps and post the distances in a bit

Hey - so this is in at Seapoint, not the 40 foot, right?

Anyone know the distances around the 40 ft buoys? Thanks!

From back to front of 40 Foot around all yellow buoys except the one half way out to the pier!

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/325753448

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

What about Killiney Beach? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Seapoint - all buoys and straight back is approx. 1.43km.

Measured it with my Garmin walking the buoys at low tide :)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/217196018

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That's handy. Did a quick lookup of Seapoint via bing and GPS tracker.

End of the slipway to the far left (first) bouy is 195m, then 198m to the next bouy, 148m to the next bouy, 160m to the next bouy, and 150m to the last.

575m between the far left and right bouys.

The bing maps aerial photography are great, used to use it for dimensioning engineering roads projects and never failed us so I think these figures are about as accurate as you will find (done in autocad):

Forty foot:
    GwOHYzW.jpg

Seapoint:
    nuSRUu5.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I recently did a Night Swim there for charity - first time too! Great experience.

I swam to the 3rd buoy from the ramp and back - here's my garmin log - 950m even thou they said it was 750m

Oh you were in my group :cool:

if anyone wants me to make a similar distance map for any open water swim - just link me the bing map location and i'll cook one up no prob

@cjt156: i cannot really make out the buoys at killiney although i am familiar with that swim, so can't suss out the lengths sorry. also i think one or two of the buoys go beyond the aerial photography area that is higher res

Oh you were in my group :cool:

I must know you to see at least by know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Thank you very much for the seapoint image! I made up a similar one myself and had it at 1300m all in.. much nicer to have the chart you made! Will print that if that's ok with you!

yeah go wild. i was thinking of taping it up on the wall at the changing rooms so people could have a look, everyone that swims there tends to have the distance conversation and everyone comes up with different answers!

Great thread - great responses. Thanks very much! :)

Hey Chickenballs - who was the swim for and is it a regular event? I'd like to stick it in my diary for the next time. Thanks for posting the map too.

Hey Chickenballs - who was the swim for and is it a regular event? I'd like to stick it in my diary for the next time. Thanks for posting the map too.

It was a fundraiser for East Coast Open Water Swimmers for valuable support crafts and safety equipment - I actually stumbled upon it by accident through a friend on Facebook. Details here for this years one https://www.facebook.com/events/599065560127453/

Cost was €10 and you get a glow stick for your swim cap so you don't get lost and BBQ after.

• Advertisement

It was a fundraiser for East Coast Open Water Swimmers for valuable support crafts and safety equipment - I actually stumbled upon it by accident through a friend on Facebook. Details here for this years one https://www.facebook.com/events/599065560127453/

Cost was €10 and you get a glow stick for your swim cap so you don't get lost and BBQ after.

That looks great on the Facebook page. Deffo gonna do that next year - better do a lot of work on my sighting until then!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

hollingr, above maps and distances are just brilliant, thank you. However two problems, firstly I havent been doing the distances that I was claiming and secondly I got to be a good boy and ask Santa for a garmin type watch. Damn your accuracy !!! You've just burst my bubble :)

haha no worries sasso, i was in the same boat. finding out the real distances burst my bubble big time!

keep in mind there are tidal currents to contend with and you will always be swimming more than the exact point to point distances. depending on how straight you swim, you could be doing a hell of a lot more than the figures above!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Hey, just wanted to check if these distances are still accurate. Haven't been able to find more up to date data.

The buoys haven't moved at all so it should be as accurate as the day it was made. I've heard people with gps watches down there saying it's slightly longer but keep in mind they're not swimming a straight line like you can on an OS map ;)

Cheers for the update. I usually just head to the first buoy and back but thinking of increasing the distance. Thinking it's time to get a tri suit as well as it's getting a bit too cold for just swim shorts!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Effects wrote: »
    Cheers for the update. I usually just head to the first buoy and back but thinking of increasing the distance. Thinking it's time to get a tri suit as well as it's getting a bit too cold for just swim shorts!
    I think it's a wetsuit you're looking for if you're going in over the winter! Or a pool membership!

I've got a surf wetsuit, I'll try it out when it gets too cold. If it's not that suited to swimming I'll get a reasonably priced tri-suit.
    Spotted one on wiggle for about €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

I know it's probably habit but you'll ned to stop confusing trisuits with wetsuits at some point or someone's gonna sell you the Brooklyn bridge.

Surf wetsuits will slow you down in the water compared to swimming with no suit at all, and trisuits won't give you any insulation against the cold, and this time of the year your muscles just won't operate effectively after a fairly short period of immersion in current temperatures. As you say you're best off pricing and sourcing an entry-level swimming/tri wetsuit and getting out there. No need to break the bank with the first one and now is a good time to buy as 2016 stock is being shovelled out the door of most places.

• Advertisement

A trisuit gives no insulation? Really? If that's the case then why would I bother wearing one?

Advertisement