Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really confused with my offers. (HEAR/DARE schemes)

• 19-08-2013 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I completed the Leaving this year and got a shabby 335 points
    My first choice, which is Biology in UCC (CK404) is 390 and requires a HC3 in a lab subject.
    I got a HB1 in Biology and am availing of both the HEAR and DARE schemes.
    I was relying on the fact that in conjunction with eachother they would be an offset against the points difference.

Anyway, received my offers this morning and got my 10th choice (WD085) which is 280 points.

Is it unusual that my closer choices (2nd, 3rd, 4th)didn't get considered? (Have the HC3 lab-subject requirement for all of them) and they range from 375 points to roughly 405. (GY308)(GY301)(CK402)

I mean, I know I'm being optimistic with the schemes, but the point reduction between the two of them would be fairly solid?

Another thing to note is that I have an official exemption from Irish (Since Primary school).
    All the courses require Irish, unless you have an exemption.
    Is there any way that CAO weren't aware of this? (Funnily enough the course that I DID get offered didn't require Irish anyway)

Sorry about being so long-winded, just want to be as clear as possible.

TLDR; Is there any chance that the Universities didn't take my schemes into consideration? Or that I could have gotten refused due to them not knowing about my Irish exemption?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Jay12845 wrote: »
    I completed the Leaving this year and got a shabby 335 points
    My first choice, which is Biology in UCC (CK404) is 390 and requires a HC3 in a lab subject.
    I got a HB1 in Biology and am availing of both the HEAR and DARE schemes.
    I was relying on the fact that in conjunction with eachother they would be an offset against the points difference.

Anyway, received my offers this morning and got my 10th choice (WD085) which is 280 points.

Is it unusual that my closer choices (2nd, 3rd, 4th)didn't get considered? (Have the HC3 lab-subject requirement for all of them) and they range from 375 points to roughly 405. (GY308)(GY301)(CK402)

I mean, I know I'm being optimistic with the schemes, but the point reduction between the two of them would be fairly solid?

Another thing to note is that I have an official exemption from Irish (Since Primary school).
    All the courses require Irish, unless you have an exemption.
    Is there any way that CAO weren't aware of this? (Funnily enough the course that I DID get offered didn't require Irish anyway)

Sorry about being so long-winded, just want to be as clear as possible.

TLDR; Is there any chance that the Universities didn't take my schemes into consideration? Or that I could have gotten refused due to them not knowing about my Irish exemption?

That all sounds very possible. I did think that even with just DARE, you would be offered the 375 option.

The only solution is to phone the CAO or get one of your parents to query it. The sooner you do it, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jay12845

Vivara wrote: »
    That all sounds very possible. I did think that even with just DARE, you would be offered the 375 option.

The only solution is to phone the CAO or get one of your parents to query it. The sooner you do it, the better.

I just did that, was talking to CAO&UCC offices, turns out my exemption from Irish was never clarified on my CAO.
    So therefore any of the Uni's couldn't offer me a place.

Fixing it with NUI now. Should get 2nd round offers.

Thanks man!

Was in bits. Ridiculously, ridiculously relieved now! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

335 is an above average Leaving Cert., not shabby at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jay12845

spurious wrote: »
    335 is an above average Leaving Cert., not shabby at all.

Ah yeah, I guess sure!

Probably shooting blanks here, but you, (or anybody) don't have any idea if I can barely scrape into my first choice (CK404) through HEAR and DARE?

I wasn't too deterred with the original 55 point difference, (The course WAS 390) but as of today the course is now 420 points. A rise of 30 points. :eek:

Is it being EXTREMELY optimistic to hope for a reduction of 85 points would you think? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭GalwayGirl00

Is there any way of knowing if the offer was made through the HEAR scheme by looking on the CAO or do we need to contact HEAR directly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 CAOMAN

You can contact the CAO and they may be able to indicate this for you.

Advertisement