Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD First Years 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

How/when do we get timetables?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Andy279

Isco wrote: »
    How/when do we get timetables?

After you finish the process of module registration.
    Here is the link: http://www.ucd.ie/students/registration.html, take a look at it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Isco

So looking at my timetable for Arts (History and Economics) it says I have 4 hours of lectures a week? I know I have to take a third subject, Politics, but that's not possibly all I am doing is it? So confused

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Isco wrote: »
    So looking at my timetable for Arts (History and Economics) it says I have 4 hours of lectures a week? I know I have to take a third subject, Politics, but that's not possibly all I am doing is it? So confused

History and Economics have 4 modules each available for you to take.
    Do you have them all selected? After you have selected the modules you want the lectures will show up on your calendar. You have to move onto the next tab to select any tutorials associated with them.

If you booked History and Economics via the CAO you will be automatically be registered for 2 modules and have to select the rest yourself. This is done just to hold you a place in particular subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Andy279 wrote: »
    After you finish the process of module registration.
    Here is the link: http://www.ucd.ie/students/registration.html, take a look at it:rolleyes:
    Is anyone else getting phase 2 of registration not available?

• Advertisement

Step 2 is module registration. For this you log into SISWeb on Wednesday, 28 August from 8am to 1pm to book your Registration Start Time. Module registration then begins from Thursday, 29 August for the first groups of students.

From here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Maldesu wrote: »
    From here
    How are people viewing how many hours they have so? :confused:

Probably using this

You can go in and look at your course but it can get pretty confusing depending on your subject. For example if you do a single English Honours subject is will show that you have 5 modules to take, but that only give you part info - when you get to registration you find you have to take 7 more modules from other subjects. (The general rule is that you take 12 modules in a year - when the English students get to 2nd year they have to drop the other subjects and take 10 English modules and fill 2 electives).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Does anyone know if it's possible to take psychology as a third subject as opposed to an elective if I have two other subjects down as my primaries? I'm aware you can take a third/fourth subject, I'm just not quite sure if psychology is exempt from that. It all seems rather unclear on the UCD website.

Maybe. Depends on your other subjects too. If you are taking any of these - French, Drama Studies, Geography, Celtic Civilization or Mathematical Physics - then you can't as they are in the same grouping.

Psychology also has limited places so it may not even be listed when you go to register. You may have had to pick it via the CAO. If you can take it, be aware you can only ever progress with it as a minor.

• Advertisement

Maybe. Depends on your other subjects too. If you are taking any of these - French, Drama Studies, Geography, Celtic Civilization or Mathematical Physics - then you can't as they are in the same grouping.

Psychology also has limited places so it may not even be listed when you go to register. You may have had to pick it via the CAO. If you can take it, be aware you can only ever progress with it as a minor.

Yeah, I'm doing economics and politics & international relations - psychology isn't in either of those two groupings so it should be okay.

That's a really good point though, I guess it'll have to be an early rise for me on Wednesday and Thursday morning if I want a chance at it at least!

And also, yeah, I'm aware of the minor thing. My parents are trying to sway me to do a different subject because I can switch to it in second year if I so desire but I'm not particularly interested in anything else but those aforementioned three so it should be okay. Although I do acknowledge if I do get it as a third subject, I'll be boxing myself in completely as I sincerely doubt I'm smart enough to be able to snatch a place to progress with it.

Thanks for the info, it's really appreciated.

Yeah, I'm doing economics and politics & international relations - psychology isn't in either of those two groupings so it should be okay.

That's a really good point though, I guess it'll have to be an early rise for me on Wednesday and Thursday morning if I want a chance at it at least!

And also, yeah, I'm aware of the minor thing. My parents are trying to sway me to do a different subject because I can switch to it in second year if I so desire but I'm not particularly interested in anything else but those aforementioned three so it should be okay. Although I do acknowledge if I do get it as a third subject, I'll be boxing myself in completely as I sincerely doubt I'm smart enough to be able to snatch a place to progress with it.

Thanks for the info, it's really appreciated.

Find a back up just in case from the other options. You are going to have to pick a 3rd subject regardless. The way UCD have it set up is that each year you take 12 modules in a year. Economics and Politics won't fill this requirement until the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You cant take it as a minor anymore, minors dont exist for incoming students unless you're in a programme with a denominated minor (like English & Film).

You can take a pile of Psych electives but you cant do a minor in it anymore.

Find a back up just in case from the other options. You are going to have to pick a 3rd subject regardless. The way UCD have it set up is that each year you take 12 modules in a year. Economics and Politics won't fill this requirement until the following year.

Good advice. Will probably be up between maths, statistics or history... or something.
    Fad wrote: »
    You cant take it as a minor anymore, minors dont exist for incoming students unless you're in a programme with a denominated minor (like English & Film).

You can take a pile of Psych electives but you cant do a minor in it anymore.

They don't for incoming students but I thought there was a scheme for students going into second year where the highest performing twenty who took it as an extra subject for arts were given the opportunity to minor in it for their remaining two years, so it'd be your major:minor in a 60:40 split. That was how it was described to me anyway.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

I still can't register on UCD, is this the case for anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

there was a message up on the ucd connect saying something about there being some problems with registration or something, not 100% sure though I'm afraid. Might be worth checking though?

Just being nosy now but what course are you doing, if you don't mind me asking? :)

Register your personal details or for modules? Modules isn't open yet. You have to get a start time on Wednesday and register for modules on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lanawithafada

Feeling extremely late to all of this, but is there anyone here from Science that I can befriend? :D

Edit: or anyone else for that matter!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 An Abundance Of Emily

Howdy peeps! *waves* Going to be studying Archaeology and History, didn't do history for the leaving so hoping I'm not at too much of a disadvantage :P
    Anybody else doing archaeology and/or history?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gmcloughlin13

Howdy peeps! *waves* Going to be studying Archaeology and History, didn't do history for the leaving so hoping I'm not at too much of a disadvantage :P
    Anybody else doing archaeology and/or history?
    I'll be doing History :D I thought about Archaeology a few months back, but me being a lazy person made me change my mind :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭The green and red

How's it going folks. If you didn't know already, we've been organising a meet up for this thread to get to know each other and have the craic. If you're interested in going drop me a PM and I'll add you to the Facebook page. The more the merrier
    Cheers

I forgot to mention that we already have 17 people so don't be shy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 sinead_xo

HI :D
    Im doing Arts with Music, Spanish, and English :) And i still have no accommodation :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Feckin' "Phase 2" of registration still not working!

Feckin' "Phase 2" of registration still not working!

If you are an incoming 1st year you won't have access until tomorrow to book a start time, registration starts on Thursday if you get the time slot

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AvaLang

Feeling extremely late to all of this, but is there anyone here from Science that I can befriend? :D

Meee! Are you doing No Preference or did you choose one of them? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eoin.P.C

First year male looking to share accommodation with any other first years, pm if interested in sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kerbstone

My friend doing science is really confused about registering for her modules. She picked the no preference option and is wondering why she has to choose her modules so early? she thought you would have a chance to try everything out for a few weeks. Can anyone out there help her please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

whats a start date ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Conan11

Orientation in 6 Days !

Can't believe I only found this thread. Any other Science students here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 anniehilate

Science too :D are you on campus?

Advertisement