Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD First Years 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Arthur Rimbaud

Can anyone else still not enter the registration process?

Registration for 2013/14 is not available for you at this point.

Check your registration dates
    : http://www.ucd.ie/students/regdates.html

If you have outstanding fees from a previous year you will not be able to register.

Go to the Registration, Fees & Assessment tab at the top of this page.
    Choose Pay Fees from the menu and pay any outstanding amounts.
    Processing of late payments may take up to two days.

If you wish to pay fees in advance of registration:

Go to the Registration, Fees & Assessment tab at the top of this page.
    Choose Pay Fees from the menu and pay the relevant amount.
    Your registration dates will be as indicated above.

If your programme's registration has begun and you still see this screen it may mean that the post-admissions processing of your record is not complete. New registrations are released once a day. Please check again later.

It was supposed to be available today AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Thataone

AFAIK, registration isn't actually until tomorrow.
    Today we just get our "start time", which is the time tomorrow that we can pick modules and electives.
    By now a time should have been sent to your email (UCD one), allocating a time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

Thataone wrote: »
    By now a time should have been sent to your email (UCD one), allocating a time.

How do I access my UCD email?

matTNT wrote: »
    How do I access my UCD email?

through UCD Connect :)
    Log into connect using your CAO/student number and your date of birth as a password (ddmmyy). There then should be an email icon up on the top right of the screen. Should bring you to a gmail account :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Kerbstone wrote: »
    My friend doing science is really confused about registering for her modules. She picked the no preference option and is wondering why she has to choose her modules so early? she thought you would have a chance to try everything out for a few weeks. Can anyone out there help her please? :)

She was wrong, I believe the difference between preference and no is that if you go into a preference course, you're pre-registered into the core modules for that pathway, and your options are limited to those insice that pathway. With no preference, you're only preregistered to courses that are common to all pathways, and your options aren't limited - you narrow into a course at either semester or stage 2, I'm not wholly sure.

There's no way to try everything for a few weeks. Best she could do is take a wide range of subjects in stage 1, and then try and narrow the field for semester 2 based on what she enjoys.

For better advice than this (I'm a science graduate, and I read the website, so that's my experience here), she should contact the Science Program Office, or Student Adviser to discuss what she should do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 padraig100

Agricultural Science anyone? or anyone in roebuck hall house 3 apartment 1??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Well, everyone knows where padraig lives now...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 anniehilate

My start time isn't til Friday at 8pm. Isn't that awfully late? I hope all the good electives aren't full by then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9 athletics95

Science too :D are you on campus?

finally some science people :-D how's it going with the modules. . . its confusing especially now i think we have to make up our own timetable? i dont have a clue what im at!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 evafr8863

Has anyone found a list of modules or electives that are avaible for us to take ? do they change depending on the course that we're on ? this is really confusing.... :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 anniehilate

finally some science people :-D how's it going with the modules. . . its confusing especially now i think we have to make up our own timetable? i dont have a clue what im at!

I used to find it confusing but now I get it :D depending on which stream you pick (I'm BBB), you basically have to do the four or five compulsory modules, and then you can choose to do as many of the compulsory modules for either 1st year or 2nd year as you like. For example, in BBB there are three of these, two of which you must do in Stage 1 or Stage 2. You can either do both in first year, or one, or leave them both til second year.

After that, you must do any of the conditional modules that are required, depending on your Leaving Cert results. For example, I must also do Introductory Chemistry because I didn't do Chemistry for the Leaving Cert.

Okay, by now you should have around 8-9 modules picked, depending on how many conditional ones you must do. You have to do 12 modules (6 per semester). 10 of these must be science, but 2 can be anything you like, though you can do extra science modules if you wish. So now you can just pick whatever interests you in order to meet the requirements. I hope this makes sense/ is helpful, if you need anything clarified just let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

evafr8863 wrote: »
    Has anyone found a list of modules or electives that are avaible for us to take ? do they change depending on the course that we're on ? this is really confusing.... :S

You can search for your course modules here

There is no elective list as an elective can be any module in UCD

I was thinking of picking a language elective (German) but what is the difference between the ones Under the heading "arts and humanities" and the ones Under "applied languages" ? they all sound the same when you read the description...

Is anyone else finding it near impossible to pick an elective, let alone one that may be any way relevant to their course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I was thinking of picking a language elective (German) but what is the difference between the ones Under the heading "arts and humanities" and the ones Under "applied languages" ? they all sound the same when you read the description...

It can vary. AFAIK, the ones in Arts are approached with the view that you are going to continue the language so the focus will be with this in mind. The ALC are General Purpose with the aim of casual usage rather than professional. Assessment is probably one of the biggest differences. Some may have you doing a 2 hour exam at the end of year. Click the How Will I be Assessed tabs and What Will I Learn to get more info. At the end of it all, if it is for elective purposes, go with what you feel you will enjoy more/get the better usage from.

Is anyone else finding it near impossible to pick an elective, let alone one that may be any way relevant to their course?

definitely ! there are so many different ones its really hard to choose :confused:
    and what's more you don't Really know what you're signing up for...

definitely ! there are so many different ones its really hard to choose :confused:
    and what's more you don't Really know what you're signing up for...

Exactly! Or who else will be there (not that that should matter, but in a way it does!)
    It's very stressful! Thank god all I'm picking is an elective, anything more would be a nightmare!

Same here !

I'm not sure if i'm writing on the right thread, but would anyone know if for the elective "French reading 2" (FR10090) the written assignment (where you have to write a critical analysis of texts) is in French or in English ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 athletics95

I used to find it confusing but now I get it :D depending on which stream you pick (I'm BBB), you basically have to do the four or five compulsory modules, and then you can choose to do as many of the compulsory modules for either 1st year or 2nd year as you like. these, )

thank you so much for all the advice. .. what im doing based on that is as many core biology modules as possible in first year, then for my electives im just going to try out two new science and maths subjects. . hope that gives me a good bit of choice next year and is an okay plan!

thanks again, i feel okay about the whole thing now :-) hope you get the modules you want, im doing intro to chemistry too, so see ya there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Andy279

Have just completed module registration.
    End up with choosing optional modules from Geography, Maths and Politics :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Beginners Spanish was gone in a dash, seemingly. I was fiddling between the stream and core menus, and it disappeared within the space of 10 minutes.

Well, that, or the registry went cuckoo.

One of my electives is 'provisional', would that explain why it says 'incomplete' in my credits summary? :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

One of my electives is 'provisional', would that explain why it says 'incomplete' in my credits summary? :/

Yep, your registration won't complete until you have registered all modules successfully - so it wont show as being finished until the electives have been allocated when over subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I thought reapplying to the CAO would give me a clean slate and whatnot, but no! Cant register for a first year module until I get permission from the coordinator...

Also, economics stole my hopes of having no class on Fridays which would have been lovely for work >_<

Otherwise, I'm registered \o/ Really want my blackboard to update so I can poke around with the new things!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

just finished - dn200. when choosing modules how come it auto-assigns all labs/tutorials etc even though some of the modules have more than 1 offering for some of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Science programme office autoassigns them, based on some students not being able to take certain offerings because of clashes with other modules, etc. If you email them and ask them nicely to swap you to another particular time, it may work. I've done it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Science programme office autoassigns them, based on some students not being able to take certain offerings because of clashes with other modules, etc. If you email them and ask them nicely to swap you to another particular time, it may work. I've done it a few times.

ah.. thanks. the programme office is where you go for those changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

gline wrote: »

That's what I said :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

gline wrote: »

Basically, if you have a problem, contact the programme office.

I cannot say enough nice things about the science one, they are incredibly helpful.

Advertisement