Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regional work

Options
  • 19-08-2013 9:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭

Im heading over to Sydney soon and I was thinking of getting the regional work out of the way first. Do I sign up to an agency? I wont have a car so I will need transport and ideally accommodation. What agency would ye recommend etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Hawkeye1 wrote: »
    Im heading over to Sydney soon and I was thinking of getting the regional work out of the way first. Do I sign up to an agency? I wont have a car so I will need transport and ideally accommodation. What agency would ye recommend etc

I know a lot of people I worked with in childers had gotten jobs through Harvesthoppers. You can google working hostels either or just have a look on gumtree.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Get onto agworkforce.com.au if you want regional work. They deal with regional work for Queensland area.

There based in Toowoomba, 90mins west of Brisbane, and they get alot of work for Irish Backpackers on feedlots, harvesting etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

Do you need a Tax File Number to start fruit picking or other regional work? I was planning on looking for regional work straight away when I land. I know it takes a week or two to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hawkeye1 wrote: »
    Do you need a Tax File Number to start fruit picking or other regional work? I was planning on looking for regional work straight away when I land. I know it takes a week or two to get it.

You need a tfn to work in Australia in general. To be honest you'll probably get the tfn before the job so be prepared for not working straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mod note lads unless some one has a news link lets not make allegations. Above posts deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

Zambia wrote: »
    Mod note lads unless some one has a news link lets not make allegations. Above posts deleted.

http://www.jobseeker.com.au/job/Farm-Work-Harvest-Hopper-0f2efa5e58f0b80d224d245ba1aa0df6

podgie. wrote: »

again im not defending them however their response seems fair. snd this is just one persons experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

it happened to 4 of my friends aswell, even if you look at there facebook page you will see alot of bad feedback on it.

podgie. wrote: »
    it happened to 4 of my friends aswell, even if you look at there facebook page you will see alot of bad feedback on it.

Fair enough!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Hawkeye1

does the 3 month regional work have to be done all in one go? Could I do say 2 months and then the last month a few months later?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Yes, aslong as you complete the 88 days within your 12 month visa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

If you manage to get some sort of FIFO (fly in Fly out) work or rostered work (3 weeks on, 1 week off. 2 on, 2 off etc) the time you are off counts towards your 88 days.

I was lucky to get a FIFO job when I got here doing 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, so after about 3 shifts (45 days actual work) I qualified.

Make sure you check the postcode of the area you are working. It's only valid work if its in the right region. You can do your 88 days at anytime, anywhere once its regional.

Advertisement