Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swiss rolls and meringue roulades

Options
  • 19-08-2013 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with rolling swiss rolls.

The recipies I've been using are all fatless sponges... so 4 eggs, 100g flour, 50 gr caster sugar.

Cook at 200 for 8 to 10 mins, and roll when hot.

Cracks every time.

I've tried meringue roulades and getting the same thing. Recipe is similar, just no flour.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I am guessing here, but I think you might be over cooking the swiss roll.
    200 might be a bit high.

I use a very similar recipe, but I cook it at 180/190.

Of course, ovens differ, so its impossible to give exact temps.

If the edges are crispy at all, you should trim them before rolling, It needs to be very soft for it to be a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ahh, temp down. Ok, brill. Yes, new oven is a good bit more efficient than my last one, so could be running too hot alright. Will retry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

My fan oven has to be 20 degrees lower than conventional electric ovens. Not all recipe authors give this information unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Try rolling the cake when hot, then when cool, unroll fill with stuff and roll back
    try this video:

Advertisement